February 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest - Part 1

Guest hawkstwelve

Any hot takes on the GFS ensembles would be appreciated. Hoping to see the 12Z op as an outlier.

You’re good. Never-ending winter bliss.

Cold re-intensifies again in the D11-16 period.

D0-5, 6-11, 11-16:

8J9tfx2.png

hxkhOSs.png

dknXJ8e.png

• Like 2

EURO has stayed consistent with this weekend’s system. I like it. This is reminding me of 1/17/12, massive in the foothills and respectable in the PDX lowlands.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

The first time I can recall being legit excited for a winter weather pattern out there..haven’t seen a wavetrain like this in forever. The forcing structure is much better than even December 2008 (as modeled)..and it’s all made possible via extratropical RWB forcing on the tropics, rather than having originated in the tropics first. ENSO be d*mned.

I want to see 19th century snow records at least challenged, if not obliterated. It’s actually a possibility this time.

It definitely appears to be one of those once-in-a-generation deals.

A part of me wishes it were occurring a few weeks earlier so we would see the maximum cold season possibilities, but at the same time, having it occur now will probably end up making it a more exceptional event from a historical perspective - since the vast majority of PNW snow/cold records have occurred in the late December to beginning of February time frame.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

I don't post much at all. Mostly read and learn. But my 2 cents would be I'd prefer a tad less snow (3-6 is still decent), but with colder air; rather than 12 inches of sloppy, wet snow.  I love when the snow is powdery and it drifts and stays for a while without all of the ice underneath.

A part of me wishes it were occurring a few weeks earlier so we would see the maximum cold season possibilities, but at the same time, having it occur now will probably end up making it a more exceptional event from a historical perspective - since the vast majority of PNW snow/cold records have occurred in the late December to beginning of February time frame.

Was thinking the same thing. How much difference you think it would make if it came in December for Temps?

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

EURO has stayed consistent with this weekend’s system. I like it. This is reminding me of 1/17/12, massive in the foothills and respectable in the PDX lowlands.

Very different set up down here though. This is probably going to be a snow to rain to snow scenario for Portland, with cold air advection at the end. With a low moving down the coast rather than an undercut. Better setup overall but I wouldn't be surprised if amounts are similar.

Wow, nice.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

In a sense it's kind of nice to see winter craziness at the end of the season. Kinda feels like it extends our window a bit more than it usually gets credited for.

Unbelievable what is about to unfold...wish I would have gotten a tractor this year instead of a year or two from now. Will probably have to borrow the neighbors tractor to keep my driveway unburied. WOW! Historic is all I can say...

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!