February 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest - Part 1

Guest hawkstwelve

Aren't some models saying the freezing area in the column will be like 50mb thick at times with decent precip rates? 500ft should be doing pretty good.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Nope. Not,buying it. I refuse.

Right? Brownsville and Sweet Home looking at a foot over the next 10 days. I don't think that has happened here since the 80s or earlier.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Close to 30 inches here. If this happened as shown or even close it would be a disaster.

You need to get over now and get your old Chevy truck with the plow and bring it home...you are going to need it!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I know. I was just pointing out that snow hole. It looks ridiculous and unlikely to verify. Can’t even think of a mechanism that would put one there given the setup.

It’s an error in the snow map algorithm(s), not the model. Those fake snow holes are simulated around here all the time and they never verify (unless it’s right over DCA, in which case it always verifies. Haha).

Close to 30 inches here. If this happened as shown or even close it would be a disaster.

Don’t talk like that.

Not a disaster. A miracle.

• Like 1

Good twitter exchange someone had with Scott Sistek for those of you on the Eastside (east of Puget Sound)

That was the wildest model run I've ever seen in my life.

That was yesterday’s run for me.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Very different set up down here though. This is probably going to be a snow to rain to snow scenario for Portland, with cold air advection at the end. With a low moving down the coast rather than an undercut. Better setup overall but I wouldn't be surprised if amounts are similar.

Yeah if this ends up verifying the conventional wisdom on our window is going to be reconsidered. 

It’s an error in the snow map algorithm(s), not the model. Those fake snow holes are simulated around here all the time and they never verify (unless it’s right over DCA, in which case it always verifies. Haha).

What was the error in this case? Was the error that the snow hole should not exist in the first place or should the snow hole should really be bigger and expand into the western part of the metro area?

Holy frickin hell.   Total snow from Monday morning to Tuesday morning:

ecmwf-snow-24-washington-25.png

Friday through 4 p.m.   Here it comes.    At least everyone should be able to get home safely that afternoon.   The craziness will start in the evening.

ecmwf-snow-6-nw-11.png

Friday - 4 PM. If the snow hits in the afternoon Friday, vacating Seattle could be a mess. Not Thanksgiving 2010 or 2012 (can't recall the year) but widespread messy. 

I know we are like Leonardo DiCaprio on one of his yachts, waiting for the newest and freshest models to come out, but I just wanted to say Hi!

I'm new to this forum.

Studied meteorology at UW for two years before making a huge pivot and deciding to get into Law. Got my JD at Gonzaga Law.

Obsessed with weather, born and raised in Issaquah, college in Seattle, law school in Spokane, and now I live in downtown Bellevue.

When I was in middle school I job shadowed Jeff Renner on King 5 News.  I was so d**n excited and no one else in my class knew who he was. haha

Anyway - look forward to all the posts and throwing my thoughts in occasionally.

Just wanted to say HI!

Ahh, Jeff Renner, undoubtedly one of the most pessimistic forecasters the NW have ever known, aside from Rich Marriott and possibly Rod Hill in PDX

I know we are like Leonardo DiCaprio on one of his yachts, waiting for the newest and freshest models to come out, but I just wanted to say Hi!

I'm new to this forum.

Studied meteorology at UW for two years before making a huge pivot and deciding to get into Law. Got my JD at Gonzaga Law.

Obsessed with weather, born and raised in Issaquah, college in Seattle, law school in Spokane, and now I live in downtown Bellevue.

When I was in middle school I job shadowed Jeff Renner on King 5 News. I was so d**n excited and no one else in my class knew who he was. haha

Anyway - look forward to all the posts and throwing my thoughts in occasionally.

Just wanted to say HI!

Welcome brother! Awesome to see all the new members joining.

• Like 2

I'm new to this forum.

When I was in middle school I job shadowed Jeff Renner on King 5 News.  I was so d**n excited and no one else in my class knew who he was. haha

Just wanted to say HI!

I think the Zags have a real good shot at a natty this season. Nice to have you here.

The amount of regular posters on here is going to double.

• Like 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

I think most of us are going to get something at this point. The bullseye will probably shift (though it seems closer to Seattle at this point).

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

I'd guess 2-4 degrees colder on average. Bigger difference for highs.

Phil would know, but I wonder if the arctic air itself would have been this cold a month ago.  I don't just mean this year, with the timing of the SSW event, but in general, if it is in later January and into February that the arctic air is at its coldest.