February 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest - Part 1

Guest hawkstwelve

Guest hawkstwelve

18z Euro snow totals through 10PM Saturday.

Looks fairly similar to 12z, about an inch or two more for most places. Notable increase over East King County.

rXMNJyq.png

Keep in mind, the Euro also underestimated snowfall for many places with the last storm. Just not as much as the GFS.

And that was without the dry/cold air in place like we have this time.

Yes. This was a point made by Cliff Mass in one of his blog and it was 24 hours leading up to the snow. The Euro has a lot of support and rightfully so, but it isn’t the holy grail. It just leads the way and the rest follows.

Where'd you hear that? I'd be really surprised if Mark said 4-6 right now over the air.

Yeah, I should be better about these unverified rumors: apparently someone on the FOX12WeatherBlog heard/saw it. Steve Pierce definitely said it though. And Mark does think that the easterly influence is being underplayed for PDX.
  • Downvote 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Keep in mind, the Euro also underestimated snowfall for many places with the last storm. Just not as much as the GFS.

And that was without the dry/cold air in place like we have this time.

It is definitely interesting to consider the possibility that models again underestimate the strength and duration of the deformation band.

They certainly did this weekend (both Sunday night around Seattle and Monday night around Portland) and it seems they very often get hung up longer than progged. If that were to happen again, we could be looking at some pretty incredible numbers.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Where'd you hear that? I'd be really surprised if Mark said 4-6 right now over the air.

Yeah, I should be better about these unverified rumors: apparently someone on the FOX12WeatherBlog heard/saw it. Steve Pierce definitely said it though. And Mark does think that the easterly influence is being underplayed for PDX.

Hopefully Mark will have a new blog post soon. I'm interested to see his thoughts.

• Like 1

It is definitely interesting to consider the possibility that models again underestimate the strength and duration of the deformation band.

They certainly did this weekend (both Sunday night around Seattle and Monday night around Portland) and it seems they very often get hung up longer than progged. If that were to happen again, we could be looking at some pretty incredible numbers.

The Euro and somewhat the NAM actually handled our deformation-lite really well.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Guest hawkstwelve

I just don't see many places starting as rain. Perhaps, as Snowmizer said, the coast and south of Olympia but not anywhere else.

18z Euro shows...

• Surface temps generally in the low 30s at 1PM, which is the high of the day. Low 40s near Olympia and the SW Interior. By 4PM, temps have dropped below freezing in many places and the SW Interior has dropped to 33-35 degrees.
  • DP's in the upper teens/low 20s at 1PM and upper 20s by 4PM.
  • Southerly flow up through the Sound around 1PM but that turns offshore most places from Pierce County northward by 4PM.
  • 850mb temps are either -6 or -7c throughout the day; they reach -5c only in the SW Interior for a brief period

I don't have access to 925mb temps but unless those are skyrocketing during the day, I just don't see how places anywhere north of Thurston or Lewis counties start as rain.

The Euro and somewhat the NAM actually handled our deformation-lite really well.

I knew they showed the band's existence, but did either show widespread 1-2" amounts?

And I saw reports Camas got like 4". I didn't think either showed over about 0.1" of QPF for anyone near PDX.

Just like that its down to freezing... high of 36 again same as yesterday. Except yesterday it was 36 from noon-2pm then temps drop. Today it was 36 from noon-4pm.

Low reached 16 again last night... same as previous.

Keep in mind, rarely does Boeing Field is this cold.

Talkk about carbon copy.

I just don't see many places starting as rain. Perhaps, as Snowmizer said, the coast and south of Olympia but not anywhere else.

18z Euro shows...

• Surface temps generally in the low 30s at 1PM, which is the high of the day. Low 40s near Olympia and the SW Interior. By 4PM, temps have dropped below freezing in many places and the SW Interior has dropped to 33-35 degrees.
  • DP's in the upper teens/low 20s at 1PM and upper 20s by 4PM.
  • Southerly flow up through the Sound around 1PM but that turns offshore most places from Pierce County northward by 4PM.
  • 850mb temps are either -6 or -7c throughout the day; they reach -5c only in the SW Interior for a brief period
I don't have access to 925mb temps but unless those are skyrocketing during the day, I just don't see how places anywhere north of Thurston or Lewis counties start as rain.

you can see 925mb temps for most models on weathernerds.org, it's free

I knew they showed the band's existence, but did either show widespread 1-2" amounts?

And I saw reports Camas got like 4". I didn't think either showed over about 0.1" of QPF for anyone near PDX.

Most places had between 1 and 1.5 inches, very similar to what the Euro showed. The Camas/Corbett amounts were elevation-dependent as there are a lot of areas out there between 500-1000 feet. The Euro showed enhanced totals out toward the foothills as well. Also handled the cut off on the west side really well.

With what seemed like pretty weak forcing I was really impressed how well it was handled.

• Like 1

NWS is clearly being conservative once again with the totals... calling for 3-4” and I believe this is a tactic to prevent people from panicking as this is on the best case scenario for everyone no doubt their number will adjust within the next 48 hours

I don’t think the difference between 3-5” and 6-10” really means much to normal people. To us it does. Seattle shuts down with heavy frost.

• Like 1

I don’t think the difference between 3-5” and 6-10” really means much to normal people. To us it does. Seattle shuts down with heavy frost.

Very true!

Just the word "snow" causes panic.    :lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Guest hawkstwelve

To add to my post above, the low 40s in the SW Interior/Olympia area seem odd. Temps jump from freezing at 10AM to low 40s at 1PM and then back down to near freezing by 4PM.

Might be a case of too quick to scour out the cold air. Seems awfully fast to rise 10 degrees and then fall 10 degrees just off some light southerly flow.

This is the truth. Outside of the terrains one of the obvious reason is also the warm surfaces as precip starts falling... the snow melts before they are cool enough to accumulate...when we freeze, by then it’s a sheet of ice underneath. I don’t care who you are, try driving on ice.

To add to my post above, the low 40s in the SW Interior/Olympia area seem odd. Temps jump from freezing at 10AM to low 40s at 1PM and then back down to near freezing by 4PM.

Might be a case of too quick to scour out the cold air. Seems awfully fast to rise 10 degrees and then fall 10 degrees just off some light southerly flow.

These sliders down the coast can be hard to predict. Personally, I think this one looks stronger than the last which makes me believe the sw push of air may moderate the south sound providing rain before switching back over as it sags south. Just have to stay tuned.

I am a met the same way my mom is a doctor after years of diagnosing my dad over webmd.

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2019/02/06/38682064/up-to-30-inches-of-snow-expected-according-to-man-i-talked-to-on-twitter

I love that you are literally the "man I talked to on Twitter"

• Like 1

Mark doesn’t seem convinced YET, but then again this setup is a bit more marginal than up in Puget Sound.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guest Sounder

I am a met the same way my mom is a doctor after years of diagnosing my dad over webmd.

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2019/02/06/38682064/up-to-30-inches-of-snow-expected-according-to-man-i-talked-to-on-twitter

I started reading some reddit comments about this storm after you mentioned you posted there and almost went insane. I don't know how you do it. So many unbelievably confident know it alls saying it's not going to snow at all and that "some models say it's going to be 50 and sunny!!" I'd love to know what models those are.

For your consideration... we won’t know for sure tonight. Tomorrow doesn’t look good either.

Granted tomorrow was barely supposed to be anything. I really do want Saturday to pan out, and especially Monday-Tuesday. If GFS were on board I would be a lot more excited.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

The most conservative case that I see for both offices conservative forecasts to verify without it being some made up outlier like  low track being off by 100 or more miles is this:

Low tracks further south, faster and slightly weaker, dumping the foot + bulls around chehalis + castle rock area, starts off as rain in PDX, switches over to snow in the evening when the low hits the shore around Columbia mouth, and snow comes during the day on Friday in Seattle so it can't run up the 1:15 or 1:20 ratios out of half an inch of water for a huge snowfall. This way both metros score under 6" for 90% of observers.

I hope you're right!!

Guest Sounder

Granted tomorrow was barely supposed to be anything. I really do want Saturday to pan out, and especially Monday-Tuesday. If GFS were on board I would be a lot more excited.

If you're expecting an event tomorrow, you're going to be awfully disappointed. Nothing ever showed snow for tomorrow.

It’s not going to snow tomorrow.

• Like 1