February 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest - Part 1

Guest hawkstwelve

Wow looks like the Cascades and the Coast Range do way better than Portland which is in a big hole of lower totals. What a disappointment for Portland once again.

Portland has nothing to complain about when us northerners will be scampering for a few inches.  

• Downvote 3

Western Whatcom County looks to come out of this event with yet another dismal snowfall. Most places from Bellingham north didn’t see much of any snow with the last event and it looks like they’ll struggle to scrounge more than an inch or so this weekend. When is the last time the central sound had two events total 15 or more inched while Whatcom had 2-3” or less?

To a majority of these people, Whatcom County doesn't exist. All these "good for everyone" posts are full of sh*t

• Downvote 1

Portland has nothing to complain about when us northerners will be scampering for a few inches.  

It'll spread the wealth.  I'll be surprised if there isn't 4+ inches from EUG to YVR once all is said and done. Probly lots more.

Also, welcome.  :)

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Portland may get more snow on this run... but Seattle gets hit hard in the first event just 48 hours away.   A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.   ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

He was being sarcastic.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

I did that on a Dec 18, 2008 final. Ended up staying up all night when I realized the low was stalling to the north. Did fine on the exam, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Exactly, I did it before as well and I don’t recommend it. I usually end up doing well too but it was mentally exhausting. Shut out what you can’t control and focus on what you can... which is studying.

24* and got my new snow shovel today !

I’m ready ....but first some sleep....I need some sleep

I bought one yesterday too.

Didn't wanna jinx it, but when I saw them at Walgreens I had to pick one up. Scraping 8 inches of snow and ice off the driveway with a plastic tub wasn't too fun on Monday.

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Portland may get more snow on this run... but Seattle gets hit hard in the first event just 48 hours away. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. ;)

Word.

And sneak preview......

The 12z will look different.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I bought one yesterday too.

Didn't wanna jinx it, but when I saw them at Walgreens I had to pick one up. Scraping 8 inches of snow and ice off the driveway with a plastic tub wasn't too fun on Monday.

Dude!   You of all people should be prepared for snow.    :lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Looking at things in a broad sense the ECMWF and GFS both still forecast the PNA and EPO to be deeply tanked at day 10 according the Weatherbell site.  With that combo it will be impossible to not be cold to some extent.  Any significant warmup would probably be due to a block reconfiguration and brief.

This event is looking increasingly likely to be historic in a number of ways for the month of February.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Dude!   You of all people should be prepared for snow.    :lol:

Just moved into my new house a month ago after living in apartments/dorms ever since high school. 

This was the first time I had a place to shovel!

I almost bought one last weekend, but that storm didn't feel like as much of a slam dunk as this one.  :P

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

To a majority of these people, Whatcom County doesn't exist. All these "good for everyone" posts are full of sh*t

I can't imagine your area not doing well at some point during this.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just moved into my new house a month ago after living in apartments/dorms ever since high school.

This was the first time I had a place to shovel!

I almost bought one last weekend, but that storm didn't feel like as much of a slam dunk as this one. :P

Ahhhh... makes sense.

Victoria is in a historic snow drought. They are due

attachicon.gif5C332607-30C5-434C-B3E9-CF4DD53CCA1C.png

Crazy, I would have thought Feb 2016 would have done it, but YYJ must have been drier than here. It's been a long time since we've had more than 6" in a day, probably going back to Feb 2011. Probably won't happen this time though, even if we get 8" it will be spread between 2 days.

This thing is getting serious enough we may start to see some ice develop on some fairly good sized lakes this weekend when the next batch of cold settles in.  This is totally awesome!

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Looking at things in a broad sense the ECMWF and GFS both still forecast the PNA and EPO to be deeply tanked at day 10 according the Weatherbell site. With that combo it will be impossible to not be cold to some extent. Any significant warmup would probably be due to a block reconfiguration and brief.

This event is looking increasingly likely to be historic in a number of ways for the month of February.

Ensembles mean i saw earlier this afternoon showed KSEA not crossing -5C (barely) until the 22nd. Even then, still cold.

• Like 1

Ensembles mean i saw earlier this afternoon showed KSEA not crossing -5C (barely) until the 22nd. Even then, still cold.

For a second I thought you meant not dropping below -5C until the 22nd and I was confused. That's crazy!

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Guest Sounder

This thing is getting serious enough we may start to see some ice develop on some fairly good sized lakes this weekend when the next batch of cold settles in.  This is totally awesome!

Don't worry, Fred already sounded that alarm to The Stranger.