2/4 - 2/8: Multiple Potential Rain/Ice/Snow Events

East Dubzz

12k NAM teasing me with some backside action early Friday. Too bad the flow quickly takes the streamer(s) north of me once again like last year week..

namconus_ref_frzn_ncus_32.png

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Getting a convective snow squall coming this way. I hope it holds together as that'd be a once in a lifetime experience.

Just noticed that. If it holds together, I hope it's not pulling in warm air or something and falls as sleet. Only wondering since mixed precipitation is falling at such cold temps not too far south of here. 

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Just noticed that. If it holds together, I hope it's not pulling in warm air or something and falls as sleet. Only wondering since mixed precipitation is falling at such cold temps not too far south of here. 

Looks like it's falling as snow down at the state line.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Whoever is in the DVN office tonight must have something mixed into their coffee...

They tweeted this earlier..

@NWSQuadCities: While the bigger threat for ice is coming later tonight, that freezing drizzle out there is still very slick! Watch your step or risk breaking your neck!

Their AFD update also said this...

“.UPDATE...

Issued at 912 PM CST Wed Feb 6 2019

The forecast generally remains on track, as the first round exited to the northeast, while the upcoming low passage and widespread round is set to arrive towards midnight. In between the steady upglide of waa over the cold air is producing drizzle east to freezing drizzle central and west. As noted in our previously salted parking lot, this stuff is in fact freezing. It`s not 100 covered, but what`s there might break your neck if you don`t see it.”

• Like 1

Whoever is in the DVN office tonight must have something mixed into their coffee...

They tweeted this earlier..

@NWSQuadCities: While the bigger threat for ice is coming later tonight, that freezing drizzle out there is still very slick! Watch your step or risk breaking your neck!

Their AFD update also said this...

“.UPDATE...

Issued at 912 PM CST Wed Feb 6 2019

The forecast generally remains on track, as the first round exited to the northeast, while the upcoming low passage and widespread round is set to arrive towards midnight. In between the steady upglide of waa over the cold air is producing drizzle east to freezing drizzle central and west. As noted in our previously salted parking lot, this stuff is in fact freezing. It`s not 100 covered, but what`s there might break your neck if you don`t see it.”

good stuff

Holy hell, I'd pay money to be down in Beatrice for this right now. They're getting legit thunderstorm returns on radar. While what we're getting up here is cool and all, 30 dBZ readings happen in a lot of snowstorms.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Now I know why we have so much dry air in this.

The National Weather Service in Springfield has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
Stone County in southwestern Missouri...
Northern Barry County in southwestern Missouri...

* Until 1145 PM CST.

* At 1104 PM CST, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a
tornado was located near Wheaton, or 10 miles southwest of Monett,
moving northeast at 85 mph.

HAZARD...Tornado and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed.
Damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur. Tree
damage is likely.

Well the squall is out of here, so back to our off the radar snow. Flakes are a bit larger but that's not saying much considering the fact that they were pixie dust before. I think warm air aloft is messing with the flakes. 9.0°F.

• Like 1

Well the squall is out of here, so back to our off the radar snow. Flakes are a bit larger but that's not saying much considering the fact that they were pixie dust before. I think warm air aloft is messing with the flakes. 9.0°F.

Yeah it's coming down quite nicely too. Need to avoid radar returns because apparently that means sleet  :lol:

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"