2/11 - 2/13 Major Winter Storm

Tom

I think you might be right or at least close to it Jaster. I own a restaurant so I usually judge a "monster storm" as one where I have to close the restaurant LOL!!!  usually around the 10"+ range, it's been years since I had to close my restaurant because of a snow storm. 

This winter has been very frustrating, but didn't your location get dbl digits in last Feb's wild week?

• Like 3

Looks like an April map. Is it March yet?

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Not so sure I buy the what the GFS is offering. An occulding storm that strengthens as it stalls between hr 102 and -108. Something about that seems fishy. CMC and GFS very close at HR 96- then they diverge.

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Not so sure I buy the what the GFS is offering. An occulding storm that strengthens as it stalls between hr 102 and -108. Something about that seems fishy. CMC and GFS very close at HR 96- then they diverge.

Don’t know if I can but any model right now. None seem to really be consistent at all. I mean, the GFS just basically jumped across the state of Iowa with the SLP between the 18z and 00z run lol.

Not saying it won’t verify, because I’ve been thinking it’ll be a cutter that ends up west of here, but I’m just not going to buy into anything but we get a little run to run consistency at least.

We still have several days to go w this storm, so lots of changes can be expected. The good thing is that someone will get a good storm outta this, whether is rain, mix and or snow. Wind will also be a factor as well.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

ukie with a cutter. Hr 96 L is just N of OK panhandle.(1000MB)  Hr 120 - is near Grand Rapids, Michigan, (996MB)  -- strong for this range of the UKIE.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Any model that shows 6+ for my area always ends up being a 1-3 event. Been that way all winter. Even the Euro sucked bad for this most recent system for my area. Consistently showed 4-6 and then 6-8..............I ended with about an inch of wind driven snow. Every model looks like the DGEX in the 3-4 day range. Id love to score an over performer at some point other than a random little clipper.

Edit: And the FV3 is horrendous. Can someone verify when it actually came close to being correct?

06z FV3...still holding onto the idea of a southerly track...while its nice to look at, I'm not sure I buy it just yet...the main energy spinning across B.C./PAC NW will eventually track onshore 12z Sunday so I still expect to see some adjustments to the track.  My gut tells me this will not be a favorable storm track for N IL.  Hoping I'm wrong, but the only way this could end up being a "share the wealth" is if it ends up being a weaker/occluding low.

snku_acc.us_mw.png

• Like 2

Here is today's NWS GRR take on the system for Tuesday

ISSUED AT 327 AM EST FRI FEB 8 2019  

-SNOW SHOWERS, GUSTY WINDS, BLOWING SNOW INTO THIS AFTERNOON.   
 ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE MOSTLY 1 TO 2 INCHES.  

-LENGTHY POWER OUTAGES CONTINUE FROM YESTERDAY, RECOVERY IS   
 HAMPERED BY, VERY COLD AIR, GUSTY WINDS, AND SNOW SHOWERS.  

-LIGHT SNOW SUNDAY AFTERNOON INTO EARLY EVENING, 1 TO 2 INCHES  
 EXPECTED  

-ANOTHER MAJOR WINTER STORM IN THE TUESDAY TIME FRAME. AT THIS  
 TIME IT LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER ICE STORM IS POSSIBLE, THEN GUSTY  
 WINDS MUCH COLDER AND LAKE EFFECT SNOWS FOLLOW WEDNESDAY.  

AT THIS POINT IT SEEMS IT WILL LIKELY   
TRACK NEAR OR NORTH OF GRAND RAPIDS ON TUESDAY. THAT PUTS US IN A  
SET UP LIKE THE SYSTEM YESTERDAY. THIS TIME THERE WILL BE MORE   

WILL BE MORE SNOW THIS TIME. EVEN SO MUCH OF OUR CWA COULD SEE   
FREEZING RAIN ONCE AGAIN. ALSO, ONCE AGAIN COLD AIR WOULD FOLLOW   
WITH AN PERIOD OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW. IT SEEMS THIS SYSTEM HAS THE  
POTENTIAL FOR MORE SCHOOL CLOSURES AND OTHER SIMILAR PROBLEMS FOR  
OUR AREA.