February Snowfalls 2/10-2/12, Part III & IV

Geos

Hes going with the HRRR sorta, expecting some accumulating snow east of I205 above 500 feet.

That definitely takes hope away from me, I'm over 500 west of the Willamette River. This heavy rain better verify, at least.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

I figured. Non weather geeks always overestimate snowfall. She may have measured in a drift.

I have a friend who lives a couple miles away from me and he always tells people about how much snow he has. Like 3 feet on the ground and stuff like that. I always just bite my tongue but it drives me nuts.
  • Like 2

I expect to see the Winter Storm Watch cancelled for sure down here.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm at 300' and about a mile or so from the Camas border, so could be in a  worse spot. If Dewey liked snow I'd say he might be in luck too.

Sounds like you're in a similar position to me on the other side of the river. I think we both have a decent chance. I also had ~5 inches on Saturday morning.

• Like 1

Yeah, there's still some hope.

Yeah, it just would have been so cool to see everyone down here score after Seattle got buried. Feel really bad for those west of the Willamette. Is this thing even going to bring the 2-3 inches of rain forecast? Looks like the back edge is pretty near on the radar....

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Guest Sounder

I figured. Non weather geeks always overestimate snowfall. She may have measured in a drift.

Funnily enough I have a friend in Mill Creek who has made several posts on facebook complaining about "only" having 6" of snow, posting pictures of easily 18-20" on the ground outside their house. People are bad at estimating the weather.

• Like 2

Guest CulverJosh

It isn't over.  Mark doesn't have the magic 8 ball when it comes to these setups.  It his opinion based on what most of the models are spitting out right now.  Models that absolutely do not handle these situations well at all.  Everything is still up for grabs, just depends where the heavy band sets up and stalls.  Seeing as it is snowing at Staleys Junction at less than 300' elevation is intriguing.  Let's see if this plays out like Feb 5th, 2017 or has more dynamics with it.

• Like 2

It isn't over.  Mark doesn't have the magic 8 ball when it comes to these setups.  It his opinion based on what most of the models are spitting out right now.  Models that absolutely do not handle these situations well at all.  Everything is still up for grabs, just depends where the heavy band sets up and stalls.  Seeing as it is snowing at Staleys Junction at less than 300' elevation is intriguing.  Let's see if this plays out like Feb 5th, 2017 or has more dynamics with it.

You're right, it just seems that every single time that Mark forecasts something not happening (or happening), he seems to be correct. Interestingly, except for 2/5/17.....

It just seems like the band is moving far faster than originally planned. Perhaps my eyes are just playing tricks on me.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Weird seeing the east side with no wx headline right now. Approaching 7" now

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Raining hard the last hour and everything is slop but didn’t stop me from going out and getting a few photos as we still had tons of snow. Streets not plowed are almost impossible to drive as the front of the car would plow the snow. A lot of areas with no sidewalks either.

B8EE7B2B-D98E-4742-B54C-196493AFB44A.jpeg

62C31EC5-DBBE-4739-A53B-C9B79D60A88B.jpeg

D09A8011-538E-4878-B3C8-5383D873FE42.jpeg

• Like 7

I just built out here two years ago. This is beyond incredible

A little taste of what its like during a lake effect snow event in upstate NY or the UP of Michigan. This is child's play for them. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It isn't over. Mark doesn't have the magic 8 ball when it comes to these setups. It his opinion based on what most of the models are spitting out right now. Models that absolutely do not handle these situations well at all. Everything is still up for grabs, just depends where the heavy band sets up and stalls. Seeing as it is snowing at Staleys Junction at less than 300' elevation is intriguing. Let's see if this plays out like Feb 5th, 2017 or has more dynamics with it.

it’s not snowing there. That’s leftover snow. I’m a few miles east of that at 1500’ and it’s pouring down rain, maybe some chunks and 37.

Raining hard the last hour and everything is slow but didn’t stop me from going out and getting a few photos as we still had tons of snow. Streets not plowed are almost impossible to drive as the front of the car would plow the snow. A lot of areas with no sidewalks either.

Looks to be a solid 12-18" in your neighborhood

Yeah, it just would have been so cool to see everyone down here score after Seattle got buried. Feel really bad for those west of the Willamette. Is this thing even going to bring the 2-3 inches of rain forecast? Looks like the back edge is pretty near on the radar....

Yeah, was really hoping for Tiger to get something but that's weather for you. Let SEA and areas north of us get clobbered and hopefully Mother Nature balances itself out and we get pounded in the next go around.

• Like 1

Raining hard the last hour and everything is slop but didn’t stop me from going out and getting a few photos as we still had tons of snow. Streets not plowed are almost impossible to drive as the front of the car would plow the snow. A lot of areas with no sidewalks either.

I stayed in Ballard with friends last August. Looked a bit different then.

A forum for the end of the world.

Guest CulverJosh

it’s not snowing there. That’s leftover snow. I’m a few miles east of that at 1500’ and it’s pouring down rain, maybe some chunks and 37.

Hmm, appears to be looking at the streetlight.  Maybe it's one of those ones that makes rain look like snow.

Alright, I definitely understand the snowfall part not panning out. But the front itself just does not seem to be stalling and on radar is moving rather quickly. The rainfall totals aren't going to bust, are they?

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife