2/14-2/17 Possible Winter Storm Train

Minny_Weather

12Z ICON puts a swath of 2-5" and maybe a little more from many points in Nebraska through the KC region, not so much for Eastern Nebraska, however.   Looks similar to other models and quite different than the much drier NAM.  With be interesting to see the GFS, CMC and Euro 12Z.  NWS says it will be a dry, fluffy snow with little wind and ratios of 20:1 to 25:1.

• Like 1

Curious... anyone know what’s considered a deep layer of dendritic grow?

Looking at soundings, I know what the DGZ zone is, but I’m not as sure about what would be considered deep layered DGZ for good dendrite growth. I’ve tried to search the interwebs, but no luck thus far.

It's Euro/Ukie/kinda GFS vs. NAM. Usually it's the opposite and NAM is too wet. Overall not too much change since NAM was barely in range yesterday. It will be really disappointing if NAM is leading the way. 

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

If I remember it was the first one to signal dry air for here. Either that or long range HRRR, I forget which.

I can’t remember that for sure. Just know it didn’t really perform that well overall. Just happened to be basically the only model to pick up on the WWA surge here, so I guess it was good for something.

I can’t remember that for sure. Just know it didn’t really perform that well overall. Just happened to be basically the only model to pick up on the WWA surge here, so I guess it was good for something.

No model nailed it.

NAM was definetly better overall than the GFS.  Euro was ok.  Ukie was ok.  NAM nailed the ice potential.  

No model nailed it.

NAM was definetly better overall than the GFS. Euro was ok. Ukie was ok. NAM nailed the ice potential.

Yeah true. Each model seemed to have some issues. Though that storm is a little more complex than this one.

That said, it’s tough to really ever use how one model did on one storm to predict the next one. Maybe if one model has consistently been outperforming the others, but I haven’t seen that yet this winter. Each model has had their good and bad storms.

• Like 2

Yeah true. Each model seemed to have some issues. Though that storm is a little more complex than this one.

That said, it’s tough to really ever use how one model did on one storm to predict the next one. Maybe if one model has consistently been outperforming the others, but I haven’t seen that yet this winter. Each model has had their good and bad storms.

Thats totally true we use the last storm to make our case for the next storm all to often.  

• Like 1

Not all of Nebraska, Norfolk only has 12" on the year!  :D

I am around 27" for snowfall for as bad as the last 6 weeks has been.  I did not realize the Nebraska snow magnet was that low.  gable23 is southwest of there and he has had it bad also.   You never know from year to year.  

I am around 27" for snowfall for as bad as the last 6 weeks has been.  I did not realize the Nebraska snow magnet was that low.  gable23 is southwest of there and he has had it bad also.   You never know from year to year.  

I'm at 15" for the year; been riding the line in all directions for every storm so far. Looks like the one coming in for the weekend will be another one; as of today my area will be missed just to the east with the heaviest axis of snow. Long ways to go yet; I don't care if I only get an inch or two just cover the darn grass with white before the cold settles in!!!