March 16-17th- Enough snow to drown a Leprechaun

Madtown

3 hours ago, hawkstwelve said:

NAM and RGEM have been weakening over the past few runs.

3 hours ago, hawkstwelve said:

Pretty large drop on the FV3 as well.

Of course right as NWS FSD issues a WSW the models will all go down the pooper. It would certainly fit with the pattern of the last two storms where models show high amounts just 24-36 hours prior but we end up with only an inch or two.

I am not sure if this statement is true, just my point of view watching weather models.... 

For whatever reason the medium range models, all of them, seem to consistently under estimate the ability of the western US/Canada mountains ability to remove moisture from the air column as storms move over them.

As a result, for storms that move over those ranges out west that don't immediately tap into Gulf of Mexico moisture when they get to the plains, the models overdue qpf.  Only when the storm is close to or across the mountains do the models finally realize (get data) about the actual lower than previously forecast moisture that is left in the atmosphere. 

• Like 2

Lodge

One more wave of rain. Wilmot has less snow than Alpine but it's already deteriorated a lot. Think the season is done here for the year. One more day at Cascade, gonna sneak away to Granite, then hopefully a weekend with some friends at Lutsen and then it's time for summer!

It snowed for a while here, but it wasn't heavy.  I finished with 0.7".  I got 0.20" of rain before the snow.

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

On 3/14/2023 at 8:59 PM, Andie said:

Totally ready.  I’ll be begging for it in July so bring on the rain and cool temps.  
We have rain tomorrow and 68* forecast. May not make that.

I know this is the Midwest section but Holy Smoke, California!

12 feet of snow and non stop rain.  

https://www.foxweather.com/weather-news/california-atmospheric-river-flood-rain-sierra-snow-roofalanche-concerns

That amount of snow is insane for Mt Hood let alone the Mountains North of LA. 

• scream 2

KC had a squall line of snow hit the city around 9:00-10:00pm last night. HEAVY snow with 30-40mph gusts causing very low visibility for about and hour. It left a beautiful snow covered landscape and grass scene this morning. Low temp bottomed out around 8:00am at 21 degrees for my area. 

I love winter scenes!!!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Tom said:

The U.P. ski resorts are loving this...

https://www.snowriver.com/live-cam

I'm starting to wonder if I should man up and make the drive from Wausau to the UP. I guess it depends if Wausau sees rain next week or if it ends up as snow. 3 hours to Wausau then 2 and a half to Whitecap. I might do it. Looks awfully good up there.

• Like 2

It was another extremely  similar  system  here! Rain turned to snow. High of about 44 then with passage of front few hrs of wet snow.  But  the temp  plummeted  faster than the last 3 systems!  Down to 18f this am. TOTAL  FLASH FREEZE!  The kind that opening car doors is a battle! .70 snow and .44 melted.  7 hours of salting and sanding!

Resized_20230317_064843.jpeg

Resized_20230317_061502.jpeg

Resized_20230317_045604.jpeg

Resized_20230317_063109.jpeg

• Like 4
  • scream 1

57 minutes ago, gimmesnow said:

I'm starting to wonder if I should man up and make the drive from Wausau to the UP. I guess it depends if Wausau sees rain next week or if it ends up as snow. 3 hours to Wausau then 2 and a half to Whitecap. I might do it. Looks awfully good up there.

This weekend is prob one of the last times this season to see really good quality snow up there.  Might be the peak in snow depth up there unless the storm next week does something interesting.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, OttumwaSnomow said:

It was another extremely  similar  system  here! Rain turned to snow. High of about 44 then with passage of front few hrs of wet snow.  But  the temp  plummeted  faster than the last 3 systems!  Down to 18f this am. TOTAL  FLASH FREEZE!  The kind that opening car doors is a battle! .70 snow and .44 melted.  7 hours of salting and sanding!

Resized_20230317_064843.jpeg

Resized_20230317_061502.jpeg

Resized_20230317_045604.jpeg

Resized_20230317_063109.jpeg

Woah!  Looks like you can skate on that ice....that's some crazy weather right there.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gimmesnow said:

it's crazy good

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 11:35 PM, Hawkeye said:

It snowed for a while here, but it wasn't heavy.  I finished with 0.7".  I got 0.20" of rain before the snow.

I'm a bit late and catching up on here. 

About 0.5" snow here and 0.40" total liquid precip. (About 1/4" of rain before changeover.)

• Like 2

• Tom unpinned this topic
  • 8 months later...