March 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

BLI snowman

Precip turning to snow from North to south and from west to east now. Was almost all sleet when I got to work here in NE Salem about 15 minutes ago, now mostly snow. My Dad says its snowing hard in Dallas and I see Corvallis has now switched over to snow. 

Unfortunately temps are in the 34-37 range on the valley floor. 

Yeah, the precip rate is great here but even wet bulbing won't be enough to overcome the crap surface temps now. Not like we have cold air aloft that can be dragged down here. 

Dumping now with big flakes. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the precip rate is great here but even wet bulbing won't be enough to overcome the crap surface temps now. Not like we have cold air aloft that can be dragged down here. 

Dumping now with big flakes. 

I am honestly stunned to see moderate snow falling along the river right now in Salem. Nice to see. Reminds me of staring out the window in class in March 2002 as heavy non-sticking snow fell all day.

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I am honestly stunned to see moderate snow falling along the river right now in Salem. Nice to see. Reminds me of staring out the window in class in March 2002 as heavy non-sticking snow fell all day.

We had 2-3" in Vancouver on Saint Patrick's Day morning that year.

Radar really blowing up over woodburn. 

Very pretty snowfall outside but a bit frustrating to see how close we were to a legit snow event. Really think this would have been a widespread few inches if it came in overnight or early AM. Not going to win this fight against the day time heating today though, especially with no more east wind here. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen heavy snow fall all day and have nothing accumulate.

In the low to mid 40s for everyone tomorrow afternoon with a good south wind... no snow map necessary.

Here is tomorrow evening... maybe Randy!

ecmwf-snow-6-nw-8.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Nice. I think Tim could get some nice accumulation out there.

ECMWF says maybe an inch or two of slop here.... accounting for marginal temps and south wind.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Was busy working, then decided to take a look outside. 

Wow, it is really snowing hard right now. Once again we got super unlucky with the timing though. Kind of hard to think about how close we have been to scoring some really nice late season snowfalls. 

37 degrees. At least it is nice to look at while it falls. 

Sunday still looks gorgeous... sunny and probably in the low 50s for most of the area with light wind.

The exception is the Portland area with an east wind down there and temps about 5 degrees cooler than places to the north and south.  

Snow coming down here but not sticking.

What are your thoughts on the warmth in late March showing up on the GFS?

Same thought as any other 384 hour GFS forecast ... waste of time to even look at it. Unless it has confluence from Accuweather's 90 day forecast, then I 110% trust it

After the early part of next week I think spring will go into full force!

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/pna.sprd2.gif

Just to add some context, the models determine that PNA forecast, as opposed to the other way around.

That said, I could see us getting some ridging late in the month. I don’t think this will be a year that it settles in as the background state again, though.

• Like 1