March 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

BLI snowman

So is it really looking like the past month and a half may have just been a blip in an overall torch that doesn't stop?

Sep/Oct didn't torch. Neither did Feb-Apr 2018. 

So all in all, the last 13 months featured 6 non-torchy months (and last June was warm-ish in some locations, but definitely not a torch regionally).

It's getting better!

A forum for the end of the world.

Sep/Oct didn't torch. Neither did Feb-Apr 2018. 

So all in all, the last 13 months featured 6 non-torchy months (and last June was warm-ish in some locations, but definitely not a torch regionally).

It's getting better!

Not even half the past 13 months haven't been a torch? Sounds like we're due for more.
  • Like 1

Did some hail right at sunset tonight pretty hard just pea sized but was still pretty cool too see the sky all pink with hail failing like crazy. Heard eatonville got nickel sized hail today wish I could have seen that

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Still some echoes up in the north sound that are pretty impressive but I’m not sure how much longer the shower activity is going to go on

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

There are still patches of brown grass in Portland. It's mid-March.

Is this because of the unusually cold Feb-early March, the long hot summer last year, or just a dry winter?

The summer last year torched it. I even have a few dead patches in my yard.

There are still patches of brown grass in Portland. It's mid-March.

Is this because of the unusually cold Feb-early March, the long hot summer last year, or just a dry winter?

It’s because of the unusually cold Feb-early March. Grass went dormant. It was greener in late-January.

Developing Ninos obviously favor warmer springs, but this winter didn't follow the Nino script at all so maybe there's reason to think this spring won't either. 

Who knows though (aside from Dewey), I don't have much of a feel for this one.

It was a textbook Niño up until the extended cold snap from Feb to early March. November and January finished far drier than normal. January even had an atmospheric river, and still finished drier than average by two whole inches.

It was a textbook Niño up until the extended cold snap from Feb to early March. November and January finished far drier than normal. January even had an atmospheric river, and still finished drier than average by two whole inches.

Sort of. Classic Nino climo is for a colder early season and a warm late season, see '15-'16 for an example. This one flipped that.

• Like 1

Tim is not posting because it's snowing at his house again?

Just rained for about 15 minutes.   You seem really concerned about my weather lately.   And I post all the time... even when its snowing here.      :)

Not even snow at Tiger Mountain tonight.   Just a little too warm.    The snow on the side of the road is from February and some left over from this morning.   I check this cam all the time.   Its higher than here though.

018vc02357-1.jpg

The Snoqualmie Ridge exit on I-90 is just about the same elevation as here.

090vc02567.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

GFS and FV3 show lots of split flow with periods of stronger ridging mixed in.  

Maybe we aren't going to have some crazy heat spike followed by a return to winter?   I hope not anyways.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**