Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Sounds like a lot of tree damage around Denver from the unusually heavy wet snow. They aren’t used to that. I got about 4-5” last night in Breckinridge and it was in the single digits skiing today. 🥶

Denver also nearly doubled their average monthly December rainfall yesterday alone.

• Like 1
  • Shivering 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

19 hours ago, bainbridgekid said:

Sounds like a lot of tree damage around Denver from the unusually heavy wet snow. They aren’t used to that. I got about 4-5” last night in Breckinridge and it was in the single digits skiing today. 🥶

Denver also nearly doubled their average monthly December rainfall yesterday alone.

Definitely some minor tree damage in my neighborhood, though nothing like the storm last spring. It's true we don't usually get heavy, wet snow this time of year...but it's fairly common with March/April storms.

Of course, the most damaging snowstorms are usually the ones that occur when there's some leafage (late spring or early fall).

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Reno's snowpack has been holding on well. All that wet snow on New Years' must have frozen solid over the past few cold nights, plus they got an inch or two more to keep it fresh.

Don't ask me why I'm so enthusiastic about whether it snows in Reno...I'm not sure either other than that I think their cold semi-arid/Mediterranean hybrid climate is quite interesting.

• Like 1

I'm in Denver.  A few inches of crusty snow everywhere. Probably a lot of that melts off the next 2 days. Maybe an inch of snow on Wed night or Thurs morning with that system going by to the south. 

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

10 hours ago, Black Hole said:

I'm in Denver.  A few inches of crusty snow everywhere. Probably a lot of that melts off the next 2 days. Maybe an inch of snow on Wed night or Thurs morning with that system going by to the south. 

Yeah, we've had snow on the ground for about 2.5 weeks now, but with no reinforcements the past week. Latest Euro did look good for at least a couple inches Wednesday.

2 minutes ago, Doinko said:

How much did you get from that one?

Models tapered off as we got closer and only ended up with an inch.

Roads would have been really in bad shape if we got the 3-6", given how bad they were already after the messy 6-12" storm we got the week before.

• Like 1

HRRR snowfall for tomorrow afternoon and evening. ECMWF is similar, GFS is dry. So maybe an inch could still fall. Looks better to the east. 

image.png

• Sad 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

35 minutes ago, Black Hole said:

HRRR snowfall for tomorrow afternoon and evening. ECMWF is similar, GFS is dry. So maybe an inch could still fall. Looks better to the east. 

image.png

I think we'll be lucky to see half an inch. All models have trended drier for metro area, including latest Euro.

3 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Winter Storm Warning issued for tomorrow evening through Wednesday morning. 6-11" expected.

Looks like the same system will also hit Minnesota late Wednesday into Thursday.   Watching it closely as my wife is flying into Minneapolis late Wednesday night.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Dumping snow and up to 4" so far. Got a feeling this one makes a run at a foot. 

And temps should stay cool for the foreseeable future, meaning most side roads will once again be tough sledding for awhile.

There was still an inch or two in areas without full sun going into this...could turn out to be an impressive stretch of snow cover for Denver.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

Dumping snow and up to 4" so far. Got a feeling this one makes a run at a foot. 

And temps should stay cool for the foreseeable future, meaning most side roads will once again be tough sledding for awhile.

There was still an inch or two in areas without full sun going into this...could turn out to be an impressive stretch of snow cover for Denver.

Welp, jumped the gun here. Snow lightened up considerably for the rest of the storm and ended up with about 7".

Still, second 6"+ storm in the past three weeks, and DEN's consecutive snow on the ground streak looks set to continue for awhile.

• Like 2

I just missed out on the fun! Oh well, maybe some snow in Tulsa in the next week. Good pattern for it anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just had our second impressive cold event of the season. DEN hit -10 yesterday morning, tying a record, and had 2 days that topped out in the single digits.

Overall, a very cold January. DEN will finish with a departure around -7, and it will be easily the coldest January since 2007, which was top 5 coldest. 2023 will be the second coldest January since 1979.

Feels like we left a little on the table as far as snowfall given the pattern, but still ended up above average with around a foot for the month. Lots of little snowfalls the second half.

Well below normal temps for the past 3 months.

90dTDeptHPRCC-CO.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

From 12/14 to 2/10, DEN saw snow on the ground for all but 4 days - including all of January. This included a couple of significant 6"+ storms, but nothing huge, and really speaks to the consistent cold we've seen this winter.

The only winter here I've witnessed with more consistent cold/snow cover was 2006-07, my first winter here. I believe DEN recorded 63 straight days with snow cover that winter, the second longest streak on record.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

From 12/14 to 2/10, DEN saw snow on the ground for all but 4 days - including all of January. This included a couple of significant 6"+ storms, but nothing huge, and really speaks to the consistent cold we've seen this winter.

The only winter here I've witnessed with more consistent cold/snow cover was 2006-07, my first winter here. I believe DEN recorded 63 straight days with snow cover that winter, the second longest streak on record.

Looks like more is on the way.

25 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

-20 would be insane for this late...likely overdone.

Ended up with 5" from the Tue night/Wednesday storm.

Nice. Is Denver generally better for snow than Fort Collins?  Just casually watching events out there it seems like Fort Collins is typically has lower totals. 

15 hours ago, T-Town said:

Nice. Is Denver generally better for snow than Fort Collins?  Just casually watching events out there it seems like Fort Collins is typically has lower totals. 

I feel like Denver gets more big snowstorms, but overall I don't think it's a huge difference. Not many good historical stations up there, but from what I can see FoCo averages close to 50"/winter, as opposed to close to 60" for Denver.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

Snowed off on and on here all day, for a grand total of...about 2". Afternoon temps were in the single digits.

DEN is down to -6, smashing the record low of 3 from 1955. Could easily hit -10 before morning. Only 3 air masses have managed that this late in the season.

And there it is...https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KDEN.html

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tyler Mode said:

Indeed. Bottomed at -11. Only one air mass has produced colder temps later, February 1962.

This is also the third month in a row that DEN has reached -10 or colder. I'd have to double check, but pretty likely that's never happened before.

• Like 3