Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Salt Lake got crushed the other day. I think they ended up with 16" of snow which was their 9th biggest 2 day total on record or something like that. Areas in the foothills got a lot more. I saw a report (and photos) of 28" in Tooele west of the city. That was crazy. 

• Like 2

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

14 hours ago, Black Hole said:

Salt Lake got crushed the other day. I think they ended up with 16" of snow which was their 9th biggest 2 day total on record or something like that. Areas in the foothills got a lot more. I saw a report (and photos) of 28" in Tooele west of the city. That was crazy. 

Yeah, like much of the Mountain/Interior West that area has had a big winter.

A forum for the end of the world.

• 2 weeks later...

DEN finished -5.7 for March. It was the coldest Nov-Mar since 2000-01...another third year Nina that while not very exciting for much of the West, was consistently quite cold for much of the country, just like this one.

April has started out cold as well. Afternoon high of just 30 yesterday, with snow showers amounting to a couple inches throughout the day. Chilly today, too, with a 43/11 at DEN.

• Like 2
  • Shivering 1

12 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

DEN finished -5.7 for March. It was the coldest Nov-Mar since 2000-01...another third year Nina that while not very exciting for much of the West, was consistently quite cold for much of the country, just like this one.

April has started out cold as well. Afternoon high of just 30 yesterday, with snow showers amounting to a couple inches throughout the day. Chilly today, too, with a 43/11 at DEN.

Wherefore art thou spring?

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

The rainstorm is finally wrapping up, and it was a doozy. Much of the metro got 3-5" in a 36 hour period. The only other storm I can think of that I've seen drop more rain in a comparable period was with the Sep 2013 floods.

That's quite a rainstorm for the Denver area! There must have been quite a bit of moisture from the Gulf of Mexico that was entrained into the system.

If that were a snowstorm, the totals would have been historic!

Edited by Dan the Weatherman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Despite being much wetter than normal and having a max temp of just 82, May ended up +2 at DEN, the first warmer than normal month since last October.

June has continued the wet/unsettled theme, with nearly 2" of rain already and more storms in the forecast this week.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

Despite being much wetter than normal and having a max temp of just 82, May ended up +2 at DEN, the first warmer than normal month since last October.

June has continued the wet/unsettled theme, with nearly 2" of rain already and more storms in the forecast this week.

My daughter in Foco is unimpressed with the seattle-like weather and says she is ready for summer. 

• lol 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DEN didn't see any 80+ days the first 17 days of June, which has never happened before.

Still waiting on our first 90 of the year...decent chance today or tomorrow does it, but if not, looks like we'll be waiting until July. The last time that happened was 1990.

• Shivering 1

18 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

June finished with 6.10" of rain at the airport, the wettest June in Denver history and sixth wettest month all-time.

DEN also recorded 18 days with thunder in June...no idea if that's a record, but pretty nuts.

Sounds like an awesome month!

Looking at the weather in Phoenix, I can definitely say I am glad I am not there anymore. What a horrible place, 110+ for the next 10 days lol

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12