Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Today is going to be one of the wettest days on record at KSLC. I don't remember if measurements start at midnight or 1 am right now...but at any rate 1.6 to 1.7" of rain so far, with more to go. 

It will be the wettest March day on record with more precip than we average in the entire month. 

Raining a lot more in SLC than it's snowing in the canyons. What gives?

Don't you need cutoff lows for a big snowfall in April, not just a regular trough like you do in winter? I think the big reason Kalispell and Missoula don't do well in spring snow wise besides our elevation is because we're about 100 miles too far west for cutoff lows to really impact us.

I think more cutoffs during the spring definitely helps but the added elevation compared to Kalispell/Missoula is what the real difference is once you look at average precipitation to snowfall amounts for the 3 cities. 

April Precip and snowfall average for the 3 cities is as follows:

Bozeman - 1.89" - 13.1"

Missoula -  1.09" -  1.8"

Kalispell -   1.01" -  1.5"

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

DEN ended up hitting 81 yesterday, so short of the March record of 84. Still ridiculously warm for this time of year. So far, this March has been more like May temp-wise, but without the precip we usually see in spring.

Exhaust from that persistent EPAC convection has definitely aided in the development of a premature, low frequency warm-dome type pattern. This relationship doesn't necessarily hold as we move into boreal summer, however.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/44D377F3-0279-4B41-BD9C-2C18F9C52F45_zpsuztenntm.png

Exhaust from that persistent EPAC convection has definitely aided in the development of a premature, low frequency warm-dome type pattern. This relationship doesn't necessarily hold as we move into boreal summer, however.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/44D377F3-0279-4B41-BD9C-2C18F9C52F45_zpsuztenntm.png

Do you envision a troughier summer for the intermountain west?

Do you envision a troughier summer for the intermountain west?

That depends on how the ENSO situation plays out. Things are very unstable right now.

I'm keeping my options open, but am looking at 1934, 1943, 1951, 1956, 1983, 1993, 2011, and 2012 as potential warm season analogs.

All this is subject to change. ;)

Awesome. Hopefully this storm is still pretty juicy when it reaches this area tonight!

Ended up with 1.97" at the airport. It was the wettest March day ever by a good margin, and it was #6 all time. All of the other daily rainfall records that beat it were May to July so this was a class of its own.

Lots more rain coming up this week too.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Ended up with 1.97" at the airport. It was the wettest March day ever by a good margin, and it was #6 all time. All of the other daily rainfall records that beat it were May to July so this was a class of its own.

Lots more rain coming up this week too.

Yea really surprising that you would get a record wet day with a regular trough after record heat. You would think it would be a convective day.

The storm was something of a bust here. DEN ended up with over .5" of precip, but only got .23" here, and no accumulating snow. 

Further south and east, though, different story. Parts of the SE metro area got about a foot.

Like Parker? They seem to do pretty well on occasion, which is a bit strange since it's basically Kansas.  ;)

First legitimate accumulating snowfall in several weeks looking pretty likely for later this afternoon into tonight here in Bozeman. Pretty impressive deformation band looks to set up in the area could turn convective afternoon rain showers into a decent snow band into this evening. As usual, placement is going to be key but could pick up a quick 3-6" of snowfall if all the pieces fall into place.

Looking forward to seeing where the deformation band sets up this afternoon and to see at least a little snow falling again!

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Yea really surprising that you would get a record wet day with a regular trough after record heat. You would think it would be a convective day.

It was really strange. No model had anywhere close to that much precip.

We picked up another half inch on saturday. Looks like another half inch today and maybe again on friday.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Nice soaker today. Already .42", with a lot more on the way. Looking like this will be the first 1"+ precip storm in a long time.

How did you do?

ULL on Thursday really starting to look like it will pack a punch. Snowfall down to the bottom of Treasure valley on the latest WRF run.

This will be a wet storm for us too. ECMWF ens mean has about 1" of precip and 2" of snow for me right now. 

Tonight/tomorrow AM could be one of those relatively rare occasions when my higher elevation (5450') than surrounding areas makes a difference for snowfall. Snow level is currently around 6500' and dropping, and will probably reach 5000' by late tonight. But may start snowing here a couple hours earlier.

Currently 37 with drizzle.

A forum for the end of the world.

Downslope windstorm for me tonight. So far I've gusted to 39 mph but I see a 61 mph gust not too far away. The warning is for gusts to 65-75 mph. I would guess I will hit maybe 50 mph at best as these almost never verify at least at my house. Either way its fun to see what you get. 

I never ended up with anything higher than 41 mph, seems the peak was about 65 mph a few miles north. 

Picked up 1/3 of an inch yesterday, dry until the weekend but models advertising a significant storm at that point. 

Getting heavy snow here this afternoon! Probably the heaviest I've seen since early February.

Poor timing though during peak heating so not expecting a whole lot of accumulation but it's always fun to see nonetheless! Will be interesting to see how much of this moisture we hang on to headed into this evening when we'll stand a much better chance of some decent accumulations.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24: