Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

So ended up with about 3" the other day and then a 1/4" from a LES squall. Low of 12 this morning so its chilly. Currently 22F.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Wow for both Spokane and Denver. Both are very impressive readings. Hit 34 here today so nothing abnormal for the high.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

It rained a bit here today and was warm and breezy. Looks like another good rain tomorrow. Better than inversion ridging I suppose!

Got 3" today.  May get another 1-2" tonight.  Tomorrow it looks to warm above freezing for the first time in about 26 days.  That's apparently the 7th longest streak.  Have about 9" on the ground now.  Shame it'll be short lived since a warm up to normal high temps are expected for the rest of the week (39-40 F).  Most of the snow will probably be gone by this time next week.

haha You are doing pretty well over there then. Pretty much all of the snow is gone and its been in the mid 40s the last few days. Could hit 60 this Saturday here.

haha You are doing pretty well over there then. Pretty much all of the snow is gone and its been in the mid 40s the last few days. Could hit 60 this Saturday here.

60 F actually sounds pretty nice.  I remember when I lived in SLC it getting into the 50's on occasion in February.  At least having the sun out, anyway.   I've noticed the sun going down a bit later lately - more light certainly helps my mood.  

Winter is great but the darkness gets old after a couple months.

It hit 61F today and was followed by a good batch of thunderstorms and then some even better ones later. The second set of storms had almost dime size hail, heavy rain, gusty winds, and frequent lightning. Not a bad little show. Looking at another chance of that on Sunday.

It hit 61F today and was followed by a good batch of thunderstorms and then some even better ones later. The second set of storms had almost dime size hail, heavy rain, gusty winds, and frequent lightning. Not a bad little show. Looking at another chance of that on Sunday.

Nice.  Those are fun.  Looks like the warm spell will end by early next work week.  Might be a decent cold front passage down there.

Yes indeed. Tomorrows cold front looks pretty unstable and will have very high pressure rises behind it. So a chance of thunderstorms, strong winds, and maybe even snow showers before its all over.

Had a somewhat cooler low of 30 last night but has warmed quickly into the upper 50s again today. Looking at another solid cold front Wednesday with a couple of inches of snow and cooler air again.

Today was pretty nice, partly sunny and a high of 50. Should continue to climb towards 60 again early next week with some rain possible later in the week. Interesting you are doing much better in the cold department. Looks like this general pattern may continue for some time.

Getting moderate snow at the moment @ 24 F.  Snow is powdery and dry.  Probably have gotten 3" today and it's really coming down.  None of the models progged today's snowfall at all.  The NWS didn't hoist a winter weather advisory until this afternoon.  A bit of a pleasant surprise indeed.   :wub:

Nice picture! 61F here today, each of the next two days should be similar. Lots of rain chances towards the weekend.

60's sound pretty nice.  I'm coming down to SLC in late April so def looking forward to warmer temps!  Got a bit over 5" a couple days ago.  Looks like the NAM is showing 3" on Friday afternoon with a wicked NE wind pushing down from the Idaho Panhandle.  Pretty impressive cold pool getting shoved West of the continental divide.  Temperatures Saturday/Sunday morning are going to get COLD and there may be some record low highs for those days.  Snow chances/totals for next Monday/Tuesday could be interesting as well.

Getting 30+ MPH gusts out of the NE tonight.  Dewpoints have dropped to near zero and temperatures are sure to follow suite.  I was thinking of taking a hike tomorrow but wind chills are going to be around -15 so we'll see about that.

Sunday-Monday look to be mad snow days.  Just how much falls is still in question but most are predicting 4-8".  Since it's gong to start so cold the snow ratios are going to be high (20:1)...so I'm thinking 6".  After Monday it looks like the first jump up in temperatures towards spring is going to occur.  Highs in the upper 40's and mild.  The weekend will be winters last gasp.

Nice, what is the latest up there? Looks like some zr in spots today.

We have had some good downpours at times the last few days. Pretty warm still too with highs in the 50s. February was 4th warmest all time and 2nd for the lows. Looks like more rain at times this week with one chance of snow.

Nice, what is the latest up there? Looks like some zr in spots today.

We have had some good downpours at times the last few days. Pretty warm still too with highs in the 50s. February was 4th warmest all time and 2nd for the lows. Looks like more rain at times this week with one chance of snow.

Yeah ended up getting 5".  Not bad.  Had some sleet last night when I took a walk.  Freezing rain this morning with a cold NE wind still keeping the lower levels below freezing.  Until about 1 pm then the precip stoped and temps warmed up to about 34 F.  The next several days are going to be a deluge of rain and so there's a flood watch out although it doens't really affect me since I'm not located by the river.  Just nuisance puddles is the only thing I have to worry about.

Another 60 degree day here, they seem so easy to come by now haha. Pretty good rain expected tomorrow.

That does sound quite impressive up there. How common is zr this time of year? It seems like it would be somewhat infrequent.

I've been out of town for a few days, but it looks like there was a nice cold front today. Not much moisture though.

High wind warning for tomorrow with FROPA. Warning has gusts to 65mph, I am going with 50-60 for most though along the Wasatch Front.

• 2 weeks later...

Two heavy graupel showers today. One of which had frequent thunder and lightning. Pretty fun to see. 

Another decent cold front with rain to snow this afternoon. It was in the 60s yesterday :P

Yesterdays storm delivered about 1.25" of snow. Overnight at the airport with no snow they fell to 36 while it hit 26 at my place with the snow. We are only a few miles apart. Up to the low 50s today and most of its gone.

Another storm tomorrow should bring some rain and maybe snow.

Feel free to comment anybody else...

Yesterdays storm delivered about 1.25" of snow. Overnight at the airport with no snow they fell to 36 while it hit 26 at my place with the snow. We are only a few miles apart. Up to the low 50s today and most of its gone.

Another storm tomorrow should bring some rain and maybe snow.

Feel free to comment anybody else...

Are you at a higher elevation than the airport, or was the snow hit and miss for the region? I may have asked you about your elevation in relation to the airport before but that was probably on the old forum.

Just a little bit higher than the airport, maybe 100-150 feet. I would have to see what they are exactly. For whatever reason my area is one of the snowier spots in the valley. Most areas got about an inch with this but the warm-biased airport never got below 36 as I mentioned.

Decent rain this evening with a temp of 38. Probably more rain and snow tomorrow.

There is snow every single spring, but the amount varies. This is our wettest time of year so its normally active either way. I think April itself averages about 4" or so of snow.

Just a little bit higher than the airport, maybe 100-150 feet. I would have to see what they are exactly. For whatever reason my area is one of the snowier spots in the valley. Most areas got about an inch with this but the warm-biased airport never got below 36 as I mentioned.

That little bit of elevation just might be what makes the difference, unless you are in an upslope area where more lifting occurs to squeeze out more precipitation in general. I have never been to the Salt Lake City area so I am not at all familiar with the terrain.

It has to be some kind of upslope effect. It is something I would like to look into and see if I can figure out the mechanism and flow pattern that is responsible. I will post something tomorrow about the terrain of the area for you.

We had some heavy showers today which amounted to .12". Warm and sunny weather all of next week. SLC airport may record its first 80, but the rest of the valley should peak around 75.