Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Topped out at 86º here yesterday which ties my yearly high. The airport made it up to 89º which also ties their yearly high.

Tomorrows cold front has gotten pretty watered down and is moisture starved so we're just looking at highs dropping back into the 50's and 60's and thats about it.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

I can relate to the desire for comfortable temps indoors. If you maintain good cross ventilation and dewpoints are no higher than 65, then even 80F can be OK w/out AC.  

We've had a few days in the mid 80s providing some needed relief. Should be a brief hot spell the next couple of days before another cold front drops us back into the 80s for a few days.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Lots of fires around the west. Biggest one in the country right now is in SW Utah and mostly still burning out of control. A few smaller ones have popped up in my area lately as well. 

A bit cooler the next few days, but it looks roasting hot for the first 1/3 of July at least. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Still no fires anywhere near here or even in the whole state of Montana which is pretty incredible. It really hasn't been that wet of a spring and early summer but I think we've been fortunate in keeping the soil moist with evenly spaced rains. Longest stretch of dry weather has only been 5 days.

Had a few non severe thunderstorms roll through here yesterday afternoon mainly giving us another good soaking. Coolish daytime highs and showers look to continue for the next couple of days before 80's return this weekend.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Just had severe warned storm roll through just north of here. I believe it's the first Severe Warning of the year here in Gallatin County. Lots more activity today than I was expecting. Might be capped for now over the next hour or so with temps having dropped back into the 50's but still seeing a lot of lightning and small hail.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Some storms nearby this afternoon, but they missed me. At .38", looks like this will end up as the driest June I've seen here.

.37" at my place for the month.

Its really looking like we will fry as July gets going. May end up seeing several 100+ days and maybe even as high as 105 or so if models hold for the 7-10 day period. 

.37" at my place for the month.

Its really looking like we will fry as July gets going. May end up seeing several 100+ days and maybe even as high as 105 or so if models hold for the 7-10 day period. 

I hope we avoid anything over 100 here, but certainly looks possible. I'll put up with the four corners high if it we at least get the monsoon going sooner rather than later.

A forum for the end of the world.

Further north up the Rockies we've definitely fared better precip wise this month. Looks like I'll end up with with 2.81" on the month which is almost average.

Also looks pretty likely that I'll see my first 90+ of the year later next week.

Cold Season 2023/24:

94F today. Should be about the same the next two days, upper 90s on Tueday, then low-mid 100s for 3-4 days after that. Forecast after that is less certain but should remain warm. 

99F on Monday and then 102F yesterday. A very warm start this morning, already 86F at 900 am. Should be on pace for about 105F this afternoon. I think today will be the hottest day, but it will be above 100F for at least the next few days. 

99F on Monday and then 102F yesterday. A very warm start this morning, already 86F at 900 am. Should be on pace for about 105F this afternoon. I think today will be the hottest day, but it will be above 100F for at least the next few days. 

How do these numbers compare with records for this time of year?

Upper 80's to near 90 here today and over the next several days. SPC has us under a "Marginal" risk today for severe storms. DP's are in the 40's so likely just strong winds will be the biggest concern until things moisten up which could then produce largish hail if we can maintain our CAPE.

Still searching for my first 90 of the year. Airport is now up to 3 and counting.

Cold Season 2023/24:

How do these numbers compare with records for this time of year?

The highest record in the next 5 days or so is today at 104F, most record high lows are 75F or less as well. 

So we should definitely set a few record highs. 

The highest record in the next 5 days or so is today at 104F, most record high lows are 75F or less as well.

So we should definitely set a few record highs.

Any decent stations with long term records to compare to besides the joke that's the SLC airport?

Any decent stations with long term records to compare to besides the joke that's the SLC airport?

None in Salt Lake. Provo to the south has a long record but they got some thunderstorm outflow that cooled them off. To the north in Ogden the heat seemed to be a little less intense as well. In other words, not really.

FWIW, SLC airport did record 105F today. My house in Bountiful was 102.7F, my highest reading by 2.5F since moving there two years ago. 

Wee bit stormy (windy) out there. Airport has already picked up a 64mph wind gust with the initial cell that just moved through. Easily gusting to that here as well.

Temp has dropped from a high of 88 down to 65 currently. Things beginning to stabilize as stratiform rain has begun to fall.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Gusty easterly winds blowing tonight keeping the temperature up. 91F at KSLC right now.

Had a pretty strong earthquake (5.8) near here last night in Lincoln, MT. Strong enough to shake the bed for about a minute and sway things around. A little alarming to wake up to in the middle of the night!

Thankfully no major damage or injuries reported.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

102F this afternoon at KSLC, about the same the next few days still. 

There are several weather stations in the area.  I'm not sure what the hatred is for the SLC airport as other stations in the area also report similar temps and similar trends.

In the Salt Lake valley, the Triad Center just hit an all time high, but records only go back to 1985.

There are several weather stations in the area. I'm not sure what the hatred is for the SLC airport as other stations in the area also report similar temps and similar trends.

In the Salt Lake valley, the Triad Center just hit an all time high, but records only go back to 1985.

The SLC airport has undergone changes that affect their temps. Black Hole will tell you the same thing.

KSLC recorded 103F today. 

Although there is a clear warming trend regionally, I agree with Front Ranger that the change has been much more pronounced at KSLC particularly. 

KSLC recorded 103F today. 

Although there is a clear warming trend regionally, I agree with Front Ranger that the change has been much more pronounced at KSLC particularly. 

Looking at the long term weather stations along the Wasatch Front, I don't see the SLC Airport as following a different trend than the other stations in the Wasatch Front.  All seem to have fewer winter extreme lows and warmer nights.  Provo, for example has recorded temperatures as low as -35 in the 1920's.

Outside the Wasatch Front, some rural areas have seen even more dramatic changes, such as around Hanksville.  

Some parts of Utah, such as the area around Woodruff and Randolf, or the Uinta Basin haven't seen the same warming trend.

Looking at the long term weather stations along the Wasatch Front, I don't see the SLC Airport as following a different trend than the other stations in the Wasatch Front.  All seem to have fewer winter extreme lows and warmer nights.  Provo, for example has recorded temperatures as low as -35 in the 1920's.

Outside the Wasatch Front, some rural areas have seen even more dramatic changes, such as around Hanksville.  

Some parts of Utah, such as the area around Woodruff and Randolf, or the Uinta Basin haven't seen the same warming trend.

We would have to dig into the details a bit more to get beyond 'you say, I say', perhaps we can at some point.

In other news, 104F today for the high. Some thunderstorms moved through but little to no rain was recorded around the area. Some impressive lightning though...hopefully we don't see a rash of fires now.

We would have to dig into the details a bit more to get beyond 'you say, I say', perhaps we can at some point.

I'm more curious as to the reasoning rather than a debate, but I'd be interested to hear the details anyone is able to dig up.   The stations along the Wasatch Front (all of them it seems, rather than just the SLC airport; have all become warmer at night in recent years than in past decades and less snowy as well).  The trend isn't as pronounced in areas that are subject to cold air pooling (such as the Uinta Basin, etc. though).

Pretty consistent training of storms over my area today. Nothing severe but frequent lightning all day and small hail. Also picked up 0.51" of rain giving us a healthy soaking which is always welcome this time of year.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24: