Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Oh, it's definitely been a much warmer than normal summer so far. Warmest since 2012.

However, DEN highs do skew things. I've seen about 2/3 the 90+ days that they have, and my location is more representative of the metro area than DEN. I've also only seen seven 95+ days, so less than half of what they have. A lot of 95-97 days at DEN this summer, which usually translates to 92-94 here.

If you are interested, I made a comparison chart of extremes between DIA and Stapleton for 1/1996 through present.   I was hoping to add days above 90 into the chart, but I could find the data for Stapleton without calculating it all manually myself (which I could do sometime in the future if anyone is interested).

den vs stp.JPG

Right now, Craig has averaged a 93.9 degree average high for July.  That's for an elevation of 6222 feet.  :huh:

cr 7-2018.JPG

Also, there have been 24 days thus far of 90 or above temperatures.  Average for the entire year is 18.

A lot of times when it is hot and dry, nights are cool, but nights this month have been quite a bit warmer than average.   There were 8 days in a row where the temperature didn't drop into the 40's or below, which is rather unusual (though once last year, there were 9 days, which is possibly the record number of days where it didn't drop into the 40's or lower).

The main reason that the Craig area has been more above normal temperature wise than much of Colorado (Denver is only running 2.9 degrees above average; we are at 6.3) is because it is getting almost completely missed from the storms.  June only had 0.11 inches of precipitation and July thus far has only had 0.01.  The Craig area has been the driest area in Colorado lately, which is also unusual.

cr pr.JPG

cr pr 1.JPG

If you are interested, I made a comparison chart of extremes between DIA and Stapleton for 1/1996 through present.   I was hoping to add days above 90 into the chart, but I could find the data for Stapleton without calculating it all manually myself (which I could do sometime in the future if anyone is interested).

attachicon.gifden vs stp.JPG

That's interesting and good research, but I don't think it tells the whole story of how different DIA often is. The extremes are fairly similar overall, but I bet DIA has reached 105 more times than Stapleton has reached 104, more times at 104 than Stapleton has reached 103, etc; usually the high in the summer at DIA is still probably 2-3 degrees higher than most the metro area, and maybe 1-2 degrees warmer than Stapleton.

A forum for the end of the world.

That's interesting and good research, but I don't think it tells the whole story of how different DIA often is. The extremes are fairly similar overall, but I bet DIA has reached 105 more times than Stapleton has reached 104, more times at 104 than Stapleton has reached 103, etc; usually the high in the summer at DIA is still probably 2-3 degrees higher than most the metro area, and maybe 1-2 degrees warmer than Stapleton.

Here are the average temperatures in each of the three locations where I can find data broken out into monthly time periods.

den vs stp vs wtr.JPG

DIA is indeed a little warmer than Stapleton on summer afternoons.   The real stand out is the Denver Water Plant.   Either there's an UHI there, or the thermometer is overexposed?  Supposedly temperatures there have reached 108, but this seems too warm for the location and elevation unless it is due to overexposure or UHI?

• Like 1

Here are the average temperatures in each of the three locations where I can find data broken out into monthly time periods.

attachicon.gifden vs stp vs wtr.JPG

DIA is indeed a little warmer than Stapleton on summer afternoons.   The real stand out is the Denver Water Plant.   Either there's an UHI there, or the thermometer is overexposed?  Supposedly temperatures there have reached 108, but this seems too warm for the location and elevation unless it is due to overexposure or UHI?

Yeah, that station is clearly overexposed, running 2-3 degrees warmer all year around.

It's been really nice here but at the same time super boring weather over the past several days. Highs have consistently been in the 80's and that looks to continue for the foreseeable future. So nothing too extreme one way or the other. Would love to see some more rain though. Been a really dry month but we were quite due for one.

Maybe a few storms this weekend with a weak cold front moving through. Better chance for some storms later next week with that trough.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Unless there is a major and incredible cold snap at the end of July, July 2018 is going to shatter all records for the hottest month here in history.  Right now the average high for July is sitting at 94.2 degrees.   That's high for any location at our elevation (I think the weather station is at around 6250 feet).

craig 7-2018.JPG

One reason we have been hotter than a lot of other normally warmer locations in Colorado or surrounding states is that we keep getting missed by the storms that have cooled things down in other locations.  I don't think that I have ever seen things so dry here.  We have seen almost no rain since May 3.  

Finally got a little rain here yesterday afternoon after nearly 10 days of nothing measurable. Was a hot day out ahead of the front. Topped out at 90F in Bozeman and 87F in my yard before the storms hit. 

Only the second 90F day of the year in Bozeman while I'm still searching for my first 90 degree day. Looks like we're settling into below average temps through the rest of this month so we should end up a bit below average on the month. Been a very pleasant summer here overall.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Unless there is a major and incredible cold snap at the end of July, July 2018 is going to shatter all records for the hottest month here in history. Right now the average high for July is sitting at 94.2 degrees. That's high for any location at our elevation (I think the weather station is at around 6250 feet).

craig 7-2018.JPG

One reason we have been hotter than a lot of other normally warmer locations in Colorado or surrounding states is that we keep getting missed by the storms that have cooled things down in other locations. I don't think that I have ever seen things so dry here. We have seen almost no rain since May 3.

I wonder how many western locations will see their hottest month ever this month. Portland is on track as well.

Unless there is a major and incredible cold snap at the end of July, July 2018 is going to shatter all records for the hottest month here in history.  Right now the average high for July is sitting at 94.2 degrees.   That's high for any location at our elevation (I think the weather station is at around 6250 feet).

attachicon.gifcraig 7-2018.JPG

One reason we have been hotter than a lot of other normally warmer locations in Colorado or surrounding states is that we keep getting missed by the storms that have cooled things down in other locations.  I don't think that I have ever seen things so dry here.  We have seen almost no rain since May 3.  

Wow.

It's been very warm here, but no chance of a record month at DEN. June was only .2 short of record warm, though.

If the rest of the month verifies anywhere near what is forecast, many SoCal locations will be comfortably over the top for the hottest month ever.

I was hoping after the extreme temps earlier in the month that triple-digits wouldn't occur again until later in summer/ early fall.  

Extremely heavy rains from a storm yesterday evening in the south metro area resulted in widespread flash flooding and one death as a woman was trapped in a basement. Completely missed my area.

Under a Flash Flood Watch for more storms today.

That's horrible!  :(

Cold Season 2023/24:

Very pleasant and mild weather has settled in here. Close to 80 today and low to mid 70's Thursday-Sunday with a chance of showers and storms almost every day during that period. May even see some lows drop into the 30's in my yard. This summer has been so much nicer compared to last years smokey inferno! 

Cold Season 2023/24:

Extremely heavy rains from a storm yesterday evening in the south metro area resulted in widespread flash flooding and one death as a woman was trapped in a basement. Completely missed my area.

Under a Flash Flood Watch for more storms today.

Same thing happened here in Madison Park in 2006 as the Hanukkah Eve windstorm was winding up. Lady died in her basement due to flooding. 

I have seen several small fires pop up in the area but luckily nothing has gotten too out of control. We have a lot of smoke from the CA/OR wildfires now though.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

That would put me in a situation where I like something but am also simultaneously trying to mock others that also do. Too confusing.

Personally, I enjoy poking fun at those that have similar preferences to me and those that have different preferences. Basically, poking fun regardless.

I suppose that could be confusing to some.

Personally, I enjoy poking fun at those that have similar preferences to me and those that have different preferences. Basically, poking fun regardless.

I suppose that could be confusing to some.

Sounds like I’m doing the same thing right now, in that case. Does that earn me a fray view loft as well? ;)

Sounds like I’m doing the same thing right now, in that case. Does that earn me a fray view loft as well? ;)

Perhaps.

Dewey gets a lot of , but one thing he and I do have in common is we don't really "side" with posters based on our own preferences. I'm sure I did that more back in the day, though.

Perhaps.

Dewey gets a lot of s**t, but one thing he and I do have in common is we don't really "side" with posters based on our own preferences. I'm sure I did that more back in the day, though.

I haven’t noticed. This kind of stuff means more if it is observed by others as opposed to by you, about yourself.

And his warm summer Timm gloves beg to differ. He, alas, is also human. Liking seasonal extemes makes you a better person!

I haven’t noticed. This kind of stuff means more if it is observed by others as opposed to by you, about yourself.

And his warm summer Timm gloves beg to differ. He, alas, is also human. Liking seasonal extemes makes you a better person!

This post means a lot, coming from Mr. Objectivity/Equal Opportunity himself. ;)

It's a matter of personality, not preference. Tim has a thicker skin, always has. Yours is slowly getting thicker but has a ways to go.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

It's a matter of personality, not preference. Tim has a thicker skin, always has. Yours is slowly getting thicker but has a ways to go.

Such wisdom. I don’t think the preference thing hurts his case.

I suppose Tim is 16 years my senior, though. Just think, when he was my age he will still dry behind the ears and moving up to North Bend. A full four years off from the tantrums of ‘06!

Such wisdom. I don’t think the preference thing hurts his case.

I suppose Tim is 16 years my senior, though. Just think, when he was my age he will still dry behind the ears and moving up to North Bend. A full four years off from the tantrums of ‘06!

He is your muse.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Nothing gets under Jesse's slowly thickening skin like comparisons to Tim. :lol:

Just some silly banter. Ironically the most effective method is this kind of stuff. No quicker way to get under many people’s skin than to claim you are getting under their skin when you aren’t!

Just some silly banter. Ironically the most effective method is this kind of stuff. No quicker way to get under many people’s skin than to claim you are getting under their skin when you aren’t!

There are many ways to get beneath your epidermis. Including silly banter!