Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Very chilly and wet on this last day of September. Had some snow this morning and then sleet this afternoon. Low of 31F with a high so far of 34.5F Currently 32F with sleet continuing to fall.

Models have turned even colder and snowier for next weekend into the following week. The ECMWF shows the potential for snowfall with high temps in the 20's Saturday night-Tuesday. The EPS mean is up to 7" of snowfall now as well. Shows that the potential is becoming more real it would seem.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Had a brief thunderstorm but no measurable rain here today. Water year total will go down as 14.11" at my place, with 10.50" at the airport. 

ECMWF ensemble mean of about 3" of rain over the next 2 weeks, so should be plenty wet. Seeing more members show snow too but not a real strong signal yet.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Just drove highway 40 between Rabbit Ears and Kremmling. The fire is over the mountain top, but so big that the sky is glowing. This isn't the best pic since I used my cell phone, but it shows the smoke in the sky glowing.

attachicon.gif20180930_193649.jpg

You have another camera other than your phone?    I think pretty much every pic on here is taken by a phone (other than Tyler's prorfessional photos).   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just drove highway 40 between Rabbit Ears and Kremmling. The fire is over the mountain top, but so big that the sky is glowing. This isn't the best pic since I used my cell phone, but it shows the smoke in the sky glowing.

20180930_193649.jpg

Crazy, I did that same drive this weekend since we went to Steamboat Springs. The fire looked a lot bigger on Sunday.

A forum for the end of the world.

Model consensus is growing for a prolonged cool and probably stormy period here starting in about 6 days. FV3 showed a major snowstorm here 10/7-10/8.

I told my wife to be prepared for cold and snow... thereby jinxing it.    It will now be in the 80s.    Sorry about that.    :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

.54" on the day at my place and still raining, but should be wrapping up for tonight soon. More showers/storms tomorrow are likely.

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

.54" on the day at my place and still raining, but should be wrapping up for tonight soon. More showers/storms tomorrow are likely.

Nice. Looks like plenty more opportunity for precip for your area over the next week.

Models have me right on the edge of a big storm early next week...just need it to develop a bit further south and could see the first snowstorm of the season.

EDIT: 12z models have definitely moved towards the big storm scenario, especially the CMC.

• Like 1

Nice. Looks like plenty more opportunity for precip for your area over the next week.

Models have me right on the edge of a big storm early next week...just need it to develop a bit further south and could see the first snowstorm of the season.

EDIT: 12z models have definitely moved towards the big storm scenario, especially the CMC.

I ended up with .66" yesterday. Looks like more thunderstorms tonight and tomorrow morning, and again Thursday night into Friday. No real end in sight either; a welcome change!

Hopefully you can get some snow. I will be close to some rain/snow mix next week if things work out right but not seeing any signs of any big events just yet. 

• Like 1

Looking like a pretty decent shot of accumulating snow here tonight. Preceding the switch over to snow the rain looks to be really heavy later this afternoon. Looking like nearly an inch of precipitation by tomorrow morning.

The amount of snowfall is going to be dependent on how quickly the cold air moves in but anything between 1-5" of snow seems possible.

Chilly this morning as well, dropped down to 26F. Currently 33F.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Canadian continues to give me a heavy and extended rain to snow storm Sunday night through Tuesday morning, while the GFS and FV3 continue to show a much smaller storm that mostly just misses to the north. The Euro seems like a delayed blend from what I can tell without seeing the precip maps.

Canadian continues to give me a heavy and extended rain to snow storm Sunday night through Tuesday morning, while the GFS and FV3 continue to show a much smaller storm that mostly just misses to the north. The Euro seems like a delayed blend from what I can tell without seeing the precip maps.

Here is the total snowfall map through day 10 for Colorado per the 00Z ECMWF...

ecmwf_tsnow_colorado_41.png

Seems like the models are playing catch up to the amount of cold air already over the region. It's only 37.6F currently a little past the noon hour when we were forecast to be near 50F right now. Also already seeing quite a bit of rain which was also not modeled.

The new 12z ECMWF looks a bit colder and even wetter for tonight. Starting to think I'll see a pretty significant early fall snowstorm here tonight now. 2-6" of snowfall seems like a real possibility. 

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Tonights front won't be as impressive as it looked a few days ago, but 1/4-3/4" of rain seems likely. Next storm arrives Saturday evening. 

• Like 1

A bonus round of storms rolled through ahead of the main event later, picked up .30". 

• Like 1

Have already switched over to very heavy snow here now and accumulating. Currently 33F and dropping.

Also already picked up nearly 1/4" of precip on the day with the heavy stuff just moving in now. 

Cold Season 2023/24:

Took a shot before darkness fell. Really heavy snow continuing and sticking to even the paved surfaces now.

Up to about an inch already. Down to 32F.

http://i63.tinypic.com/zxyls.jpg

• Like 4

Cold Season 2023/24:

Tonights front won't be as impressive as it looked a few days ago, but 1/4-3/4" of rain seems likely. Next storm arrives Saturday evening.

Kayla’s place is apparently the only spot west of the Mississippi where everything always trends colder/wetter more awesome as it approaches.

• Like 1

Took a shot before darkness fell. Really heavy snow continuing and sticking to even the paved surfaces now.

Up to about an inch already. Down to 32F.

http://i63.tinypic.com/zxyls.jpg

Motherfooker. Quit hogging all the cold.

• Like 1

Kayla’s place is apparently the only spot west of the Mississippi where everything always trends colder/wetter more awesome as it approaches.

We get plenty of duds here but tonight has not been one of them. The streak of below average temps has been pretty unique when looking at the rest of the country though. We’ve also just been really lucky.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Motherfooker. Quit hogging all the cold.

It’s been quite the year long stretch now. Has to flip at some point...right??

Cold Season 2023/24:

Yesterday ended up with 1.10" between the the several rounds of storms, and 2.09" for the last 4 days. Should be dry till Saturday afternoon now.

• Like 1

Yesterday ended up with 1.10" between the the several rounds of storms, and 2.09" for the last 4 days. Should be dry till Saturday afternoon now.

Wow, that's awesome. I'll be happy with half that much over the next 4-5 days.

Temps have fallen from the low 70s to low 50s this afternoon with a strong cold front and some showers. May not get above 60 again for quite some time. GFS has joined the other models in showing a prolonged precip event early next week.

Been very chilly here for the first week of October. High temps haven't been above the 40s since last Wednesday and that theme looks to continue through Friday of next week. Have also seen about 1.25" of rain/snow in that same period.

At some point Tues/Wed was looking like a significant snowstorm but that is looking less likely now. Models now show mainly just some light snow showers and cold temps with highs dropping into the 30's.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Last minute model trend towards colder/wetter with the system this afternoon through Tuesday morning. Should see some flakes tomorrow! 

My wife just arrived in Denver... she does not want to see snow and only brought a light jacket despite my advice.    I hope it snows there.   :)

My wife just arrived in Denver... she does not want to see snow and only brought a light jacket despite my advice.    I hope it snows there.   :)

Saw like 3 flakes this morning, that's it so far. Very chilly, though. Drizzle most the day and still haven't hit 40.

Tomorrow should be similar.

Saw like 3 flakes this morning, that's it so far. Very chilly, though. Drizzle most the day and still haven't hit 40.

Tomorrow should be similar.

Yeah... horrible timing for her trip. Just ugly weather and no scenic views.