Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

• 2 weeks later...

Because I am fascinated with old photos and it pertains to the Mountain West... this photo was taken 88 years ago this week in Glacier National Park on 7/15/1933 at Logan Pass and the opening of the Going-to-the-Sun Road.

215147331_10158725767774912_3383683666497723499_n.jpg

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

On 7/8/2021 at 8:31 PM, Front Ranger said:

DEN hit 102 today, one short of the record. 98 at my house.

As often happens with hot summer days, most of the metro area was 2-5 degrees cooler than the airport.

Spokane is the exact opposite. The airport always runs cooler than the city.

A lot more monsoon action in the Southwest over the next few days.

gfs_apcpn_swus_14.thumb.png.b65e3cf52e43ae16326b94393e1b1bf9.png

Black Hole - have you seen much in the way of storms so far? Looks like Phoenix has done ok, though not near as well as places like Mesa and Scottsdale. But plenty of time for that to change.

A forum for the end of the world.

I've been away for a while with a newborn but I will try and get back into things now. It's been a great start to the monsoon. I've had 3.17" with 12 days of measurable rain so far. We may get some more this evening too but wind is a bigger threat.

The recent storms were pretty wild. Some spots had over 3" in one day! 

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

A flash flood emergency was issued for Miami Arizona yesterday. 2-3" fell on a burn scar in less than 2 hours which drained through the town. Some of the footage was pretty wild. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

51 minutes ago, Black Hole said:

A flash flood emergency was issued for Miami Arizona yesterday. 2-3" fell on a burn scar in less than 2 hours which drained through the town. Some of the footage was pretty wild. 

Isn't Miami always wet in the summer? a literal swamp and humid in the summer full of alligators?

• lol 2

Temperatures will rise to near 110F for a few days but models are looking good for more monsoonal action Thursday onwards still. I saw Tucson had their wettest month ever with over 8". 

It's been about 10 days since we've had much activity but it looks like there will be some storms around the next few days. Hopefully I score. 

Nothing at my place, but areas around Phoenix have seen significant rainfall the last 2 days. Hopefully I can get something soon. I could have chased tonight but was in the office...of course!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dan the Weatherman said:

I hope the return of the monsoon in AZ and other parts of the SW this summer leads to a more normal and active winter pattern for the entire western part of the country!

I ended up getting another inch from a localized thunderstorm in the middle of the night, but we are probably drying out after today for a while. Hopefully we can see some transition events in September. 

With la nina, I am not confident on having a good winter, but if we can at least be near average that'd be ok. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, luminen said:

Had a low of 38F at 6am today under clear skies.

Already warmed up to 56F at 11am. Some clouds building up over the mountains. :wub:

I just noticed that you moved way east... I was wondering why you were complaining so much about sunshine.  People in Vancouver don't usually mind the sun in the summer.  ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It's starting to look like we could get some more action early next week. The NHC invest off of Mexico will eventually send some moisture in here and increase rain chances. Too early to get specific on details though. 

A tropical system will be coming up towards Baja and maybe the southwest in about a week. Ironically it will have the same name 'Nora' as another system with a very similar track from 1997 that caused a lot of problems down here. SSTAs are above normal so I suppose its possible. Nora_1997_track.png

ct5km_ssta_v3.1_tropics_current.png

• Like 2

Nora got hung up along the coast of Mexico and will never make it here. Should still see some heavy rain Tuesday or Wednesday from moisture that travels north from the storm. 

27 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Very smoky here again.

Looks like its mostly from the northern California fires there.    Luckily for us up here... the fires in BC have really calmed down or we would have a mess with northerly flow today.

August finished +2.5 at DEN and +1.4 for BOU. Boulder also had about 6x the precip as DEN, with 1.68" total. 

Overall, a warm summer but plenty of breaks in the heat. Definitely have seen worse...although would have liked to see more storms, only a few good ones this year.

Above normal down here right now with no chance of rain. At least the monsoon was fun, because it will likely be quite dry for a while. 

• Sun 1

16 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

Camping and hiking around 9-11k feet last weekend. This is Diamond Lake about an hour west of Boulder.

IMG_20210904_130941847.jpg

I sure love the high mountain alpine lakes. It's just peace to the soul up there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still bone dry and boring down here. Temps still topping 100 F most days but we might get into the upper 90s in about a week. 

• Sun 1

On 9/21/2021 at 7:08 PM, luminen said:

You sick of Phoenix's climate yet?

I was sick of it before I got here lol I'm trying to get out. 

• lol 2

Unseasonably warm weather most of this month continued over the weekend, with highs in the mid 80s. Today will probably touch 90 at DEN, which is about as late as temps that warm get here (latest 90 on record is 9/30).

Thankfully, temps cool to much more fall-like 60s in a couple days.

• Storm 1