Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Things are finally picking up down here. An AR will move in Friday, but with the parent storm decaying the impacts are not totally known. IVT and PWAT will be near record values but we need some forcing to wring it out. Longer range looks chilly down here, and bitterly cold in the northern Rockies. Definitely going to be seeing some snow in SLC. Last nights 00z ECMWF had 700mb temps falling to -28C, which is insane. 

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

I ended up with 1.46" the other day from the rains. My 2nd wettest calendar day since moving here. A few more showers coming Tuesday with cool weather continuing. 

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Heartbreaking situation tonight for hundreds (possibly thousands) of Boulder County residents. High winds in advance of the approaching storm (some gusts 100 mph+) knocked over powerlines and ignited huge grass fires just east of Boulder. 

This is a highly populated area, and the fires have resulted in 500+ homes lost, the greatest number for any fire in Colorado history.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/wildfire/homes-burned-boulder-county-fire/73-535b6380-0b14-4c18-8b5a-3f76e00bfee5

• Sad 4

A forum for the end of the world.

Hi guys,

I work for a company in Iowa and we will be traveling from Iowa to Las Vegas for the World of Concrete trade show. We should be traveling through Colorado tomorrow or Friday. I am wondering if you guys see any potential travel issues on I-70 in the higher mountain elevations Thursday afternoon or Friday morning?

Thank you,

Nick

• Popcorn 1

9 hours ago, Nick24 said:

Hi guys,

I work for a company in Iowa and we will be traveling from Iowa to Las Vegas for the World of Concrete trade show. We should be traveling through Colorado tomorrow or Friday. I am wondering if you guys see any potential travel issues on I-70 in the higher mountain elevations Thursday afternoon or Friday morning?

Thank you,

Nick

Not tomorrow, but things could get a little dicey on Friday. Looks like a few inches for the mountains early Friday AM until the afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been away for a while but it looks like things are picking up in the west finally! It's been horrendous this past month with very little going on. These troughs are arriving at just the right time too. It should delay any more 80s for a while! 

• Like 1

Check out the Drought article in Earth Science I just posted. 

NY Times is reporting the western drought as the worst in 1200 years (corresponds with the fall of the Aztecs).

https://theweatherforums.com/index.php?/topic/9994-the-western-drought-worst-in-12-centuries/#comment-858919

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Frankly, I don’t think anyone knows what’s up.  

I’ve read so many varying opinions from 20-30 yr climatologists that I’m beginning to think they just throw darts at a dart board.  
We ARE in a drought.  How long it will last I don’t know. ( Neither do they it seems)

But I won’t be around for the period of time they’re talking about so-…… 🥳 good times!

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

44 minutes ago, Tyler Mode said:

How was it????

Only ended up with around 4" with this one. Last 3-4 storms had all overperformed, so we were due (and of course, it was the one the NWS went all in with WSW).

35" on the season. Only running about 10" below normal for this point now, after a disastrous first half.

• Like 3

Pretty cold system moving in here Wednesday. Snow may get down to just above the valleys so I could probably see some with a 20 minute drive or so. 

• Excited 1