Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Been pretty quiet so far this monsoon at my place, just 0.02" so far. Some spots, especially southeast AZ doing pretty well. Things will pick back up next week but hot in the meantime. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

15 hours ago, Tyler Mode said:

So?!?

Weak sauce, storm basically went around me again. 😆 Did manage to pick up .08" yesterday.

Tomorrow will flirt with 100 again, but then it looks like we enter a period of good monsoonal moisture for at least a few days. Still hope that July will end up with decent precip.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

We've had a busy monsoon in the SW. I've only had 2 days with heavy rain so far but they were really heavy. One day with 1.60" and another with 2-2.25", the range is because my rain gauge was under catching due to the 60 mph gusts. That second storm caused some major street flooding.

In other news I think odds are good I will be getting a job offer in Tulsa Ok or Wichita KS in the next week so I might be heading east. 

• Like 3

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

On 8/6/2022 at 4:23 PM, Black Hole said:

We've had a busy monsoon in the SW. I've only had 2 days with heavy rain so far but they were really heavy. One day with 1.60" and another with 2-2.25", the range is because my rain gauge was under catching due to the 60 mph gusts. That second storm caused some major street flooding.

In other news I think odds are good I will be getting a job offer in Tulsa Ok or Wichita KS in the next week so I might be heading east. 

Yeah, great to see an active monsoon season this summer. Hasn't been great here so far, but at least some places that really needed it in the Southwest have done well.

Obviously you'll be in tornado alley either way, but any preference on Tulsa or Wichita?

60dPNormWRCC-SW.png

On 8/8/2022 at 12:59 PM, Front Ranger said:

Yeah, great to see an active monsoon season this summer. Hasn't been great here so far, but at least some places that really needed it in the Southwest have done well.

Obviously you'll be in tornado alley either way, but any preference on Tulsa or Wichita?

60dPNormWRCC-SW.png

Probably Wichita for a little more winter but it looks like it'll be Tulsa for what I am offered. Won't know for sure for a few more days. I've always lived in places with mountains and meager severe weather. It's really going to take some getting used to but I am sure it'll be fun. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Black Hole said:

Probably Wichita for a little more winter but it looks like it'll be Tulsa for what I am offered. Won't know for sure for a few more days. I've always lived in places with mountains and meager severe weather. It's really going to take some getting used to but I am sure it'll be fun. 

Could do worse than Tulsa overall. I hear you about living somewhere with no mountains, would be tough for me.

Boulder does see a lot of t-storms, but yeah, very few severe compared to many places.

Looks like some improving storm chances here coming up. Decent chance of a wind threat Wed-Thur then a rain threat Sat-Sun. Glad the monsoon is still chugging since it can begin to shut down about this time of year. 

On 8/10/2022 at 5:01 PM, Front Ranger said:

Could do worse than Tulsa overall. I hear you about living somewhere with no mountains, would be tough for me.

Boulder does see a lot of t-storms, but yeah, very few severe compared to many places.

Yep. I don't see myself staying there forever, but I will give it a trial run at least and can always move around again later. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tyler Mode said:

Nice to see this!

Screenshot 2022-08-16 at 16-24-53 CoCoRaHS - Community Collaborative Rain Hail & Snow Network.png

Screenshot 2022-08-16 at 16-19-39 CoCoRaHS - Community Collaborative Rain Hail & Snow Network.png

The last month has been solid overall for the area. Summer is still running dry, though.

30dPNormHPRCC-CO.png

Looks like a decent chance for more rain this weekend. Yesterday had a high of just 71, and no 90s in the forecast. Very nice after a brutal first half of the month.

Been a weird monsoon for me with 2 days that I got destroyed but otherwise no meaningful rain at my house. Most other spots have had more regularity down here. Flood watches up for Fri-Sat but I could still see us getting screwed and getting very little even though a few spots will definitely get a lot too. 

• TT-SEA changed the title to Mountain West Dischttps://theweatherforums.com/index.php?/topic/20-mountain-west-discussion/&do=getNewCommentussion
  • Guest changed the title to Mountain West Discussion

Looks like the monsoon is winding down. Atmosphere warms up and dries out this week for the SW. Some indication the high pushes north again in about a week which could open the door for a brief monsoonal surge, but its pretty typical to see rain mostly shut off about this time of year. Now we look for troughs dipping in from the NW to drag the moisture back north and increase wind shear. Phoenix's most severe weather occurs with these transition events in late August to early October. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Black Hole said:

Looks like the monsoon is winding down. Atmosphere warms up and dries out this week for the SW. Some indication the high pushes north again in about a week which could open the door for a brief monsoonal surge, but its pretty typical to see rain mostly shut off about this time of year. Now we look for troughs dipping in from the NW to drag the moisture back north and increase wind shear. Phoenix's most severe weather occurs with these transition events in late August to early October. 

It had a good run.

60dPNormAZ.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Staying hot down here. Tropical system trying to move towards the area (more CA) but probably just pushed out to sea by the easterlies around the high. 

• scream 1