Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Got a thunderstorm from moisture moving north from that tropical system. Ended up with a half inch. One last chance for fun Sun-Mon and then the monsoon is probably over for good this year. My time is winding down for AZ, just 3-4 weeks till I am off to Oklahoma. 

• Like 3

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Storms trying to move up from the south. Perhaps I will see some action in 2-3 hours from now. Looks like hot weather returns after the current trough blows through. Can't wait to be done with that for a while. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Doinko said:

I'll be in the Denver area around Christmas, how does the Broomfield area and Highlands Ranch area usually do during snow events? I'm hoping something interesting happens the 10 days I'm there.

I used to live in Broomfield. That area is one of the best in metro area for snow, but Highlands Ranch isn't bad, either. 

As a general rule, the further west you are, the more snow.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Doinko said:

How does this cold stack up historically for the area?

If DEN does actually record a sub-zero day, and/or hit -20 for a low, that will be significant. 

The last time we've been anywhere close to this cold in December was 2016, when we had a 3/-15 day. And that was pretty impressive. Going back to 1876, Denver has only seen sub-zero highs in 5 Decembers, with the most recent being 1990. Our last sub-zero high period was in February 2014. We also saw one in February 2011, but that was the first since 1997.

The last time DEN hit -20 was Dec 1990, and it's only happened 7 years since the airport has existed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

If DEN does actually record a sub-zero day, and/or hit -20 for a low, that will be significant. 

The last time we've been anywhere close to this cold in December was 2016, when we had a 3/-15 day. And that was pretty impressive. Going back to 1876, Denver has only seen sub-zero highs in 5 Decembers, with the most recent being 1990. Our last sub-zero high period was in February 2014. We also saw one in February 2011, but that was the first since 1997.

The last time DEN hit -20 was Dec 1990, and it's only happened 7 years since the airport has existed.

Let it freeze

Beyond excited for tomorrow through Friday. This looks like the most dynamic Arctic front we've seen since probably Dec 2008, and probably the coldest temps I've ever seen here. @Doinkoyou picked a good week experience some extreme weather on the Front Range!

12z Euro shows Denver having a high temp Thursday in the -5 to -10 range and a low around -20 that night. I think if we get a few inches of snow (likely) and winds calm down that night, DEN could exceed that.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Beyond excited for tomorrow through Friday. This looks like the most dynamic Arctic front we've seen since probably Dec 2008, and probably the coldest temps I've ever seen here. @Doinkoyou picked a good week experience some extreme weather on the Front Range!

12z Euro shows Denver having a high temp Thursday in the -5 to -10 range and a low around -20 that night. I think if we get a few inches of snow (likely) and winds calm down that night, DEN could exceed that.

I've never seen snow in the negatives before, I can't wait to experience that!

• Like 1
  • Shivering 2