Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Yeah, I wouldn't enjoy snowfall in May. I can barely tolerate snow in April, and I'm starting to dislike that, too.

I would hate it... everything about it is wrong to me.   

I generally only cheer for snow from Thanksgiving to Valentines Day.   :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I generally only cheer for snow from Thanksgiving to Valentines Day.   :)

Eh, it depends on the timing and the storm. I enjoy a big storm any time of the year - such as the last couple we've had, which occurred well after traditional winter.

Also, you have to keep in mind we get 60+ days in December/January regularly. So it's not like we've been cooped up inside all winter and are dying for some "spring" weather.

I don't mind the craziness of the seasons here at all, I enjoy it. There are just certain weekends I have free to be able to get outdoor stuff done, and I'm a bit bummed to have to put some things off once again.

A forum for the end of the world.

Eh, it depends on the timing and the storm. I enjoy a big storm any time of the year - such as the last couple we've had, which occurred well after traditional winter.

Also, you have to keep in mind we get 60+ days in December/January regularly. So it's not like we've been cooped up inside all winter and are dying for some "spring" weather.

I don't mind the craziness of the seasons here at all, I enjoy it. There are just certain weekends I have free to be able to get outdoor stuff done, and I'm a bit bummed to have to put some things off once again.

I wouldn't care it it was 65 and sunny all winter... snow in April and May and then in September and October would still suck in my opinion.    Just different priorities I guess.   

Nice weather between November - March can be fine but its still winter and its not the growing season and it gets dark early.    

I just tolerate winter... but don't mess with my warm season.     :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I wouldn't care it it was 65 and sunny all winter... snow in April and May and then in September and October would still suck in my opinion.    Just different priorities I guess.   

Nice weather between November - March can be fine but its still winter and its not the growing season and it gets dark early.    

Rainy weekends happen in the warm season. The only difference here is that occasionally in the spring/fall it can be a little colder and therefore be snow instead of rain. I don't see much difference...both restrict outdoor activities. Either way it's wet and chilly outside, not during winter.

Rainy weekends happen in the warm season. The only difference here is that occasionally in the spring/fall it can be a little colder and therefore be snow instead of rain. I don't see much difference...both restrict outdoor activities. Either way it's wet and chilly outside.

That is true... if its an all day rain.     A day with sun and some showers and mild (like last Saturday) is still great for yard work.

But I would think that kind of cold late into spring and then early in fall limits what can grow there.   Or grow well.   Similar to Minnesota in that regard.   

I think we are just spoiled here by the very early green landscape and the variety of plants that grow so well. 

Yeah when I was there last year I didn't really feel like 80s in March and snow in April and on Mother's day was "extreme". Compared to the PNW, yes it is extreme but for Denver it flows to its own rhythm and doesn't seem so jarring. I miss the weather in Denver to say the least. I like the summers in Vancouver except for the lack of thunderstorms, otherwise it's pretty nice here...in summer. Winter sucks though...as it does in all of the PNW.    :(

That snowstorm last year on Mother's day melted really fast even though it was a 5-10" storm in most places in the metro area. Good times. :)

I generally only cheer for snow from Thanksgiving to Valentines Day. :)

Our problem is we only get ~ 8-10 weeks every Spring to enjoy dry, sunny, 70-degree days. Then it's right into heat/humidity season for the next 3+ months, usually starting in late May/early June. So wasting April on snowfall and/or cold temperatures is extremely irritating considering the hazy, sweltering nightmare that follows shortly thereafter, even in the coolest summers.

I'm generally okay with snowfall until around St. Patrick's Day, given our winters really don't get going until late-December at earliest, and usually run through mid-March anyway. Once into April, I raise the white flag.

I guess you didn't leave California because of the weather!

That is true... if its an all day rain.     A day with sun and some showers and mild (like last Saturday) is still great for yard work.

But I would think that kind of cold late into spring and then early in fall limits what can grow there.   Or grow well.   Similar to Minnesota in that regard.   

I think we are just spoiled here by the very early green landscape and the variety of plants that grow so well. 

Yes, that is true.

Major windstorm tonight with wave breaking over the Wasatch mountains resulting in downslope winds. Looks like wind gusts of 65-75 mph for my area. Add to that the wet soils and leaves on the trees and it could be big. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Major windstorm tonight with wave breaking over the Wasatch mountains resulting in downslope winds. Looks like wind gusts of 65-75 mph for my area. Add to that the wet soils and leaves on the trees and it could be big.

Speaking from recent experience, I'd recommend unplugging any electronic devices with screens.

Just 4 weeks ago, we lost two great LED TVs, an iPad-Air, and a brand new coffee maker to a power surge during that monster windstorm/vortmax. No lightning strikes involved whatsoever. Honestly, I'd never even considered the possibility of something like that happening without additional electrical input via lightning.

Now I know better, and we will be unplugging during every event that meets high wind warning criteria. Funny how a simple power surge can turn a spring windstorm into the costliest weather event of your life. :lol:

Gust of 41 mph so far, although my gauge reads low. Up 10 miles north they just had a gust to 75 mph in Farmington. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

After a warm and sunny week, looking like a chance of severe weather on Saturday, especially on the eastern plains.

FOR SATURDAY...MODELS ARE INDICATING A SURFACE LOW THAT WILL MOVE
NORTH INTO NE COLORADO. THE COUNTERCLOCKWISE WIND FLOW AROUND THIS
LOW WILL INTERACT WITH MOIST NW FLOW BROUGHT DOWN WITH A COLD
FRONT FROM THE NORTH. THIS LOW WILL WRAP INTO IT A STRONG
SOUTHERLY FLOW WITH INCREASING MOISTURE THROUGH THE DAY SATURDAY.
EXACT DETAILS ARE STILL COMING TOGETHER BUT IT APPEARS THAT THE
COLD FRONT FROM THE NORTH WILL INTERACT WITH THE STRONG SOUTHERLY
FLOW TO CREATE A SUBSTANTIAL DRYLINE OVER THE EASTERN PLAINS BY
SATURDAY AFTERNOON. AT THE SYNOPTIC LEVEL A 60+ KT JET WILL BE
OVER THE EASTERN PORTION OF THE STATE WITH THE LEFT EXIT REGION
ENCOURAGING ASCENT OVER THE CENTRAL PLAINS. MODEL SOUNDINGS LATE
AFTERNOON SATURDAY SHOW INCREASING SEVERE POTENTIAL WITH DEEP
SHEAR VALUES IN THE UPPER 40S AND CAPE VALUES NEAR 2000 J. LOW
LEVEL MOISTURE COMBINED WITH HIGH SHEAR AND QG VALUES WILL LEAD TO
SEVERE STORMS FOR THE PLAINS BY SATURDAY AFTERNOON. LARGE
HAIL...DAMAGING WINDS AND A POSSIBLE TORNADO ALONG THE BOUNDARY
WILL BE THE MAIN THREATS.

I didn't get much, but a severe storm moved by to my west over the lake yesterday. At one point it had a 72 dbz core with 60+ dbz up to 25k feet. Large hail of 2.6" estimated by GR analyst but nobody knows since it was over the lake. 

Lots of thunderstorms the last few days here, but none have hit me directly. One to my south yesterday had 3/4" hail which is decent for around here. 

86F at my house today, warmest of the year so far. Looks showery the next few days but nothing all that interesting. 

Much cooler today, about 60F with showers. This spring has been very dynamic with many temperatures swings. 

.30" last night with some thunder. Looks like the cold front retreats north today with strong southerlies developing this afternoon. A high wind warning is posted. 

Had a good thunderstorm today with dime sized hail and a ton of loud and close lightning. Fun to see. 

Looks like summer is about to arrive. All models drying things out and really heating us up over the next 7-10 days. ECMWF has some low 90s late next week. 

Looks like a few thunderstorms will move through tonight before the big warm up begins in a few days. Definitely looking like summer. 

80s the last few days here, today should move into the 90s. This will last for about 5 days or so then it looks like a temporary drop back into the 70s or low 80s. 

Bit of a surprise windstorm today. Peak gust of 40 mph at my house, but 55 mph at my school. Garden is taking a beating. 

We've been in the low to mid 90s the last week, today included. Looks like some rain and cooler temps Sat-Monday but that's it. Summer is here and temps will jump right back up. 

Touched 90 the past 2 days, and hitting it again today. Looks like a good chance of t-storms the next few days, with cooler temps in the 75-85 range. Then, if models are correct, we'll likely turn hot later next week.

You guys might be in for a pretty hot summer overall.

You guys might be in for a pretty hot summer overall.

Yeah, I'm kind of expecting it. The last two summers have been nice, we're due. Though the worst heat will be east of here, hopefully.

1988 was very warm here, but not nearly as hot as it was in the Upper Midwest. Our worst heatwaves and hottest summers tend to occur following La Nina winters.