Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

The last few days have featured quite a bit of severe weather in northern utah. Both days the SPC had nothing until the day of, and then only a marginal risk.

I personally got nothing (as usual) but there was a storm in the SW part of the SLC area with golfball sized hail yesterday, and numerous areas saw nickel to quarter sized hail as well. Some streets were closed from flooding.

The day before there was a long lived rotating supercell that moved from Nevada into the Brigham City area with golfball sized hail as well. 

Pretty unusual for this area. The strong upper level southerly jet and the low level northerly flow made this possible. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Hot here too. Looks like we could be as high as the low 100s early next week. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Today was a little cooler from a weak front that passed through last night. Should be 95+ for the next few days. 

After a brief but welcome respite in the 70s yesterday, it was back to hot today. In fact, new hottest day of the year. DEN set a record high with 98. Fortunately, this is another brief heat spike, as temps should be back in the 80s tomorrow and then low 90s the rest of the week.

A forum for the end of the world.

100 yesterday, 96 today. Next 3 days will be hot as I have been saying, 95-100, but Saturday we briefly cool off. Might just be low 80s for a day :)

Yesterday I barely reached 80F for a high. It was a nice cool day. Should be back in the upper 90s by tomorrow though. 

Starting to look like some monsoonal moisture will be working its way north towards the middle to end of this week. Perhaps some scattered storms with that. 

Insane severe storm moving through the heart of the metro area right now. Looks like there will be some major hail damage with this one. Fortunately for me, passing just to the south...but still torrential rain and hail.

That would suck for the garden!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Of course your first concern would be of a garden and not life. WTF.

OK. :)

Assuming you are in the house... it would suck for the garden.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Insane severe storm moving through the heart of the metro area right now. Looks like there will be some major hail damage with this one. Fortunately for me, passing just to the south...but still torrential rain and hail.

So what ended up happening with this?

Looks like some very severe storms to your east. They are warned for 80 mph winds. Derecho-like, I would say. 

So what ended up happening with this?

Looks like some very severe storms to your east. They are warned for 80 mph winds. Derecho-like, I would say. 

The storm ended up weakening a bit before it hit Denver proper, but still urban flooding in spots and some hail damage in the western suburbs.

I ended up with .47" from the storm, my heaviest one day rainfall of the month.

• Like 1

Could see some showers here today, about a 20-30% chance. Only .27" for the month at my place, but some had a lot more.

Looks like low 90s for the next few days with continued chances of showers.

Numerous storms in southern Utah but another quiet day up here. Not too hot at least. 

85F with a breezy east wind at my place tonight. One more hot day tomorrow before a brief break. Pretty strong cold front hits Sunday. 

Hot weekend here, with temps in the mid/upper 90s both today and tomorrow. First significant wildfire of the season started this afternoon near Nederland, in the foothills outside Boulder. Here's what it looked like earlier from my neck of the woods.

We had a grass fire that caused some problems 2 days ago as well. Red flag warnings everywhere.

This cold front has some teeth. 55F in Boise and 54F in Pocatello RIGHT NOW with light rain. That is pretty insane for July. 80F at my house but the north winds are kicking up and tomorrow we should top out in the low 70s with lows in the low 50s. 

The monsoon has been suppressed so far this month due to the trough in the PNW. The cold front that Black Hole was referring to above is a good example of the influence this trough is having on the Intermountain region. Coastal and inland coastal Socal has been pretty mild so far this month as well, with highs in the low-mid 80's at my location here in Orange (approx. 6 miles east of Disneyland) for the most part after the heat wave that occurred in late June.

That cold front ended up being pretty awesome. I had a low of 48F one morning, which is the coldest July low I have seen in my time here. High was 74F that day. Back to hot now. We haven't had any real rain in about a month or so, which is getting concerning. I will be down in Zions this weekend so you probably won't hear from me for a few days unless something interesting happens. 

Hope you are having fun in Montana Jesse! 

• Like 1

Thank you Derek. It has been great here so far. The park was gorgeous yesterday, although numerous spottings of large bear tracks on the muddy trails kept us on our toes!

I hope you have a good time down in Zion. Visiting there has been on my list for a while.

There are now a lot of thunderheads suddenly building in the northern Flathead valley. 78 currently after a low of 49. Hope to see some action later.

Had some very loud thunder and lightning followed by heavy rain. Temperature is only 55, which is about 25 degrees below average for a mid-July afternoon here.

Barely touched 60 earlier, after a low of 49 this morning.

Thankfully, the very hot pattern advertised in the long range models (and warned about by Phil) keeps getting pushed back. Despite a brief but significant heat wave about a week ago, the month is only running a small + anomaly around here. Doesn't look like any major heat in the near future, either.

In fact, the central region of the country as a whole has avoided the Dust Bowl temps some were fearing heading into this summer. Only exception being a small area in west TX/east NM.

It's been very unusual around here the last few days for hot low temperatures. Our high lows the last 5 days are:

81/98 , 77/99 , 79/101, 79/102 . And this morning 80 with a high of near 100 this afternoon.

The previous record high low (all-time) was 80F, so we are in rare territory. 

It's been very unusual around here the last few days for hot low temperatures. Our high lows the last 5 days are:

81/98 , 77/99 , 79/101, 79/102 . And this morning 80 with a high of near 100 this afternoon.

Was there night/ downslope wind?

Dewpoint temps?

Setting a new max-min and tying or nearly tying it three other nights in the same week is no small feat. Seems to be the story of the summer in the west in recent years, though.