Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Wow... and I thought the 33 here this morning was annoyingly cold given a front is moving in.   :unsure:

Yeah... Amazing how overpowering a significant snowpack and clear, dry air can be. The upper airmass is definitely not very impressive right now.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

The storm for Wednesday is looking very potent, but fast moving. Latest 3km NAM gives me close to 10" in about 8 hours.

Pretty strong winds with that deep low and gradient. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Pretty strong winds with that deep low and gradient. 

Historically low pressure system for this area. The weather guy on the radio this AM was talking about how difficult the forecast was, simply because there are so few past examples of a storm like this.

Blizzard Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE...CORRECTED

National Weather Service Denver CO

1055 AM MDT Tue Mar 12 2019

...Blizzard expected to develop over portions of northeast

Colorado Wednesday afternoon and Wednesday night...

.Heavy snow and very strong winds will develop over most of

northeast Colorado Wednesday afternoon and Wednesday night.

Blizzard conditions are likely to develop along and east of the

I- 25 Corridor where the heaviest snow is expected to fall. Power

outages and wind damage will also be possible as winds gust to

between 60 and 70 mph will be possible.

West of the I-25 Urban Corridor, heavy snow and gusty winds will

also be possible, with significant travel impacts. Rain is

expected to develop Tuesday night, and then change to snow late

Wednesday morning and may become heavy at times with wind gusts

from 40 to 60 mph.

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

Cold front moving in here tonight and it is actually looking pretty potent.

The Euro is showing about 6-10" here and 5-8" in town. The NWS is going with 1-3"...once again, I'm not sure what they are looking at. 

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

So even though no new guidance came out the Great Falls NWS apparently had a shift change and revised the WWA to now be 4-6" with up to 12" on the Northwest facing slopes (Bozeman). 

I still like 5-8" in town and 6-10" here. 

Cold Season 2023/24:

Woke up to very heavy rain and 37. Even stronger red echoes moving in. Should turn to snow within the hour.

The entire office is staying home today, and several school districts are closed. Pretty unusual.

Must be nice!  :mellow:

Looks like it's still rain there...but the winds are really picking up! Too bad the switch over didn't occur earlier.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Snow is just starting up here with a deformation band from that massive low over SE Colorado. Looks like the snow should continue, heavy at times throughout the day into the evening hours. 

Currently 24F.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Must be nice!  :mellow:

Looks like it's still rain there...but the winds are really picking up! Too bad the switch over didn't occur earlier.

It switched over to sleet/mix around 8 and has been snow for the past 45 minutes. Only about an hour or so of rain.

Gusts probably around 40 mph so far.

You can actually see a sort of eye right now where the low pressure center is in southern CO.

Screenshot_20190313-094748.png

4.4" this morning, which was a bit more than I expected. Should see another 1-2" this evening. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

It switched over to sleet/mix around 8 and has been snow for the past 45 minutes. Only about an hour or so of rain.

Gusts probably around 40 mph so far.

You can actually see a sort of eye right now where the low pressure center is in southern CO.

Yeah it looks pretty awesome on satellite. Also saw that DEN has gusted to at least 75mph. Just a massive overland storm.

Keep us updated on your conditions there! 

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Yeah it looks pretty awesome on satellite. Also saw that DEN has gusted to at least 75mph. Just a massive overland storm.

Keep us updated on your conditions there! 

Yeah, a couple hours ago DEN had sustained 55 mph with gusts to 75!

Not quite as strong now, 47/63, but temp is down to 27 and visibility is the lowest yet, almost down to .1 mi.

These are probably the truest blizzard conditions I've ever experienced for any length of time.

If you want an idea of my conditions, this station is usually fairly close (it's about 5 mi west of here): https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KBJC.html

As you can see, definitely been meeting blizzard criteria quite a bit to the west of DEN, though peak winds haven't been as strong. I'd guess the highest I've seen so far is around 60-65 mph. There was a lull in the snow and wind briefly over the past hour, but it's starting to ramp up again.

• Like 3

Snow returned with another 1.6" so far, making 6" on the day. The heaviest calendar day total all winter. Snow falling, so maybe 1-2" more overnight. 

Its warmed up the last few days into the mid 50s with sunshine. Probably going to see some clouds and showers towards the weekend but not expecting any snow right now. 

Looks rainy Thursday-Saturday here, and maybe even a little more snow on Sunday morning. That's spring in the mountain west though. 

Been kind of a weird pattern that we have been stuck in these last 5 days or so. Super stagnant and inversion'ey. Huge snow pack is still obviously playing a major role but it's still a very unusual pattern for mid to late March.

Lows are still dropping down to the single digits to teens and with highs only reaching the 40's the snow pack is still holding on incredibly well as we head into the third week of March. MSU is still reporting a 23" snow base. I've still got 26" IMBY. Also looking pretty likely that the Airport will shatter the coldest March on record.

Looking ahead, maybe a bit of snow on Sunday morning changing to rain then dry again before a more significant pattern change looks to occur with colder temps and more snow around next Wednesday/Thursday.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Surprise turn over to snow quicker than expected tonight. 1.2" so far, perhaps a couple more inches by morning. 

Another 3.8" overnight, making 5" total for me. Its still falling. Most forecasts had no snow, so pretty huge mistake for those. I think I figured we might get up to 1" at least so not as bad lol. 

• Like 2

We still have some snow season left (April averages about 8-10" of snow in this area), but it's looking like another lackluster snow year for DEN. They are currently at 35.8", or about 63% of normal.

Meanwhile, just about every other station in the area is around 75-90% of normal.

Picked up .26" this morning, so already .74" on the month.

Should be warm for a few days now before a strong system moves in Tues-Thurs. Will likely be a rain to snow event but several inches are possible. 

• Like 1

Well, Spring finally arrived here. Snow has mostly melted off these last couple of days with the rainfall. Still about 8-12" of snow patches around the property here but it's been melting fast with all this rainfall. So I'll make the call that today ends the consecutive days of snow cover at 156 days. It was a LONG winter.

Very wet system continues to feed moisture into the area through Wednesday. Looking like another 1-1.5" of precip over the next couple of days. Snow levels look to fall tomorrow down to the valley floors with some moderate snow accumulations likely by tomorrow night. Still a little early to make a call on snowfall amounts but I'll go with 3-6" right now.

Currently 40F and very wet/rainy out there.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Pretty strong storm will move through Tuesday with some lingering effects into Thursday or Friday. Probably rain and thunder initially, with some snow by Wednesday morning as I noted earlier in the week. I am thinking 1-3" of snow for me. Total liquid of about 1". 

As someone mentioned in the other thread, we're now under our second blizzard warning in 4 weeks. 4-8" of snow expected tomorrow evening and night.

Lucky goose!

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"