Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Hottest day of the year here today reaching 88F and finally the first 90+ day in town with a 93F on the day. Peak afternoon heating was short lived though with thunderstorms firing once again over the area. Picked up a quick tenth of an inch of rain.

Cold front moves in tomorrow morning so that might be it for anymore 90+ days at least through the end of the month.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Even though this month has been a little warmer than I'd prefer, can't complain about the frequent t-storms. A couple heavy ones over the past few days have pushed my monthly total to over 2", and over 6.5" since May 1. Yard is doing pretty well, with minimal watering on my part.

A forum for the end of the world.

Even though this month has been a little warmer than I'd prefer, can't complain about the frequent t-storms. A couple heavy ones over the past few days have pushed my monthly total to over 2", and over 6.5" since May 1. Yard is doing pretty well, with minimal watering on my part.

.11" for July here, most of that when I was away and didn't see it. However, looking like we will join the action Fri-Sat. Could get some decent rains. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

.11" for July here, most of that when I was away and didn't see it. However, looking like we will join the action Fri-Sat. Could get some decent rains. 

Yeah, looks like it's been quite dry in your area since late May. Still looking good for the year though after the really wet spring, though! SLC is almost at their yearly average already.

Yeah, looks like it's been quite dry in your area since late May. Still looking good for the year though after the really wet spring, though! SLC is almost at their yearly average already.

I didn't get anything, but the airport picked up .27". I haven't been too bothered by the dry summer considering how great the winter/spring were.

Today is the climatological warmest day of the year, all down hill from here!

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

I didn't get anything, but the airport picked up .27". I haven't been too bothered by the dry summer considering how great the winter/spring were.

Today is the climatological warmest day of the year, all down hill from here!

Late winter/spring was about average here, and summer has been as well. Hoping we can get a good tap of monsoonal moisture going here over the next few weeks.

Our warmest climo day of the year is 7/16...average highs are already down 1-2 degrees from there. In a couple weeks, we'll be about 3 degrees below the peak.

Late winter/spring was about average here, and summer has been as well. Hoping we can get a good tap of monsoonal moisture going here over the next few weeks.

Our warmest climo day of the year is 7/16...average highs are already down 1-2 degrees from there. In a couple weeks, we'll be about 3 degrees below the peak.

Nice! We don't really decline much through mid-August, but it starts to really get going after that. The average high only drops 3 degrees between now and August 17, but it drops another 5F by the end of August. 

Nice! We don't really decline much through mid-August, but it starts to really get going after that. The average high only drops 3 degrees between now and August 17, but it drops another 5F by the end of August. 

Wow, that's a crazy climo drop for August. We only decline about 4 degrees total through August.

Late August to mid September marks a quick transition from summer to fall here. Drops from an average high around 84-85 down to 75-76 in less than 3 weeks.

Wow, that's a crazy climo drop for August. We only decline about 4 degrees total through August.

Late August to mid September marks a quick transition from summer to fall here. Drops from an average high around 84-85 down to 75-76 in less than 3 weeks.

What does the average eventually fall to? In SLC its 37/22 for much of January and late December. 

Looks like Bozeman ended the month of July with a -2.1F departure with a 65.0F average temp. Average temp at my house was 62.9F. This continues the theme of below average in every month this year so far. Still just one 90 degree day on the year in Bozeman (none at my house) and above average precip through the first two thirds of summer. Really can't complain, its been a beautiful summer.

We're back to a daily threat of storms through the weekend into next week it would seem. Might be pushing 90 by the middle of next week but the models have been over forecasting temps all summer this year so not a lot of confidence in that right now.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

I was looking back on September 2013 in Boulder. I can't believe the insanity of that rain event. One of the days had over 9" of rain. It looks like outside of that event the next highest total is about 3.65" or so in a day. That month had over 18" of rain with the next highest somewhere around 7.75". 

Probably a 1000 year rainfall event. Crazy. (Feel free to correct my stats if I missed something)

Great lightning display last night with some strong storms in the area. Just .01" at my place, but most areas did alright. 

Bozeman MSU and my house has seen measurable precip on all 6 days so far this month as we remain in a south westerly flow with abundant moisture. Still no 90 degree days here at my house and just two in town. With the forecast turning cooler/wetter through mid month it's looking pretty likely that's it for 90 degree days as it gets really tough to reach 90+ come late August. 

Pattern is turning much more active beginning tomorrow through the weekend and even into next week. Precip maps are looking rather impressive for August! What fire season??

gfs_apcpn_nwus_40.png

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

I guess my time in the mountain west is coming to an end soon. I took a job with the NWS in Phoenix and will start by early October. I am going to miss the snow but I am grateful to begin my professional career. 

• Like 2

I guess my time in the mountain west is coming to an end soon. I took a job with the NWS in Phoenix and will start by early October. I am going to miss the snow but I am grateful to begin my professional career.

That's awesome, congrats! At least you're still in the West.

Congrats! I spent a year in Yuma Proving Ground so I know that bittersweet feeling. The heat is unrelenting there but I'm sure you'll find some beauty in it! 

Cold Season 2023/24:

Picked up 0.5" of rainfall with the storms yesterday. 1.16" on the month already so this month is starting off like the last several.

The SPC has most of Western and Central Montana under a slight risk for severe storms this afternoon so we'll see what pops. Either way, soaking rains look likely state wide.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Guest CulverJosh

Congrats! I spent a year in Yuma Proving Ground so I know that bittersweet feeling. The heat is unrelenting there but I'm sure you'll find some beauty in it!

Just cruise up to Pinetop or Flagstaff. Plenty of snow there.

It's been a very hit or miss summer for precip in this area. Just to the east and south of Denver, it's been wet. Storms have stubbornly avoided DEN Stapleton and they're running well below normal (while DEN DIA is above normal), and my backyard hasn't fared too well for the past several weeks either.

Hoping that changes over the next couple days as more monsoonal moisture takes aim at the region.

It's been real nice in salt lake the last few days. Mid 80s and sunny. No rain in the forecast though.

I saw a photo of a hailstone from Colorado that appeared to be 5-5.5" diameter along one axis. If confirmed it will break the state record. 

• Like 1

It has been completely dead in Utah. Bone dry with few clouds, temperatures in the 90s each day. At least its cooling off a bit more at night now. 

High temp mark in Bozeman looks like will be 90 degrees this year and only one day at that. High of only 88F here and that was way back on July 23rd. Least number of 90+ days since 1997.

Looks like today is the last day in the upper 80's for quite sometime with a cold front moving in tonight and mainly stratiform rain tomorrow with highs dropping into the low 70's. Even with the recent warmth the nights are really starting to drop off now down into the mid 40's. Likely to drop into the upper 30's beginning this weekend.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Lots of street flooding yesterday. Article on the storms: https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/08/21/rain-storm-flooding-hail-thunderstorm/

Looks awesome! Hoping I can see something sooner than later. Continued dry here. At least its a bit cooler today.

Currently 52 beautiful degrees and just plain old stratiform rain falling since late this afternoon.

Feels very fall'ish out there this evening.

Cold Season 2023/24:

DEN hit 97 today for a new record. Running almost 3 degrees above normal for the month.

Fall cannot get here soon enough.

I bit cooler here today with a high in the 80s coming up, but more 90s for much of the week. It's turning into an annoyingly hot late August. 

DEN hit 97 today for a new record. Running almost 3 degrees above normal for the month.

Fall cannot get here soon enough.

Trade places with Tim?

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Dropped into the 30's here for the first time since June 21st this morning.

Been another below average month continuing the streak of consecutive months below average this year.

Looks like some storms here Thursday/Friday then warm and dry through the holiday weekend.

Cold Season 2023/24:

A chance of some thunderstorms this afternoon. Starting to look like a change of pace in 10 days or so with a possible trough digging in. We could use the rain. 

Very pleasant fall like morning here. Currently 54º with a steady stratiform rain falling.

75/41 day here yesterday and 46F this morning. Looks like we warm back up into the low to mid 80's this holiday weekend before cooling again next week. Feels like we may be done with any 80+ temps by mid next week. Quite a few ensemble members are also hinting at the first snow around the 8th-9th.

Cold Season 2023/24: