The Weather Forums

Mountain West Discussion

Things are finally picking up down here. An AR will move in Friday, but with the parent storm decaying the impacts are not totally known. IVT and PWAT will be near record values but we need some forcing to wring it out. Longer range looks chilly down here, and bitterly cold in the northern Rockies. Definitely going to be seeing some snow in SLC. Last nights 00z ECMWF had 700mb temps falling to -28C, which is insane. 

• Like 2

Heartbreaking situation tonight for hundreds (possibly thousands) of Boulder County residents. High winds in advance of the approaching storm (some gusts 100 mph+) knocked over powerlines and ignited huge grass fires just east of Boulder. 

This is a highly populated area, and the fires have resulted in 500+ homes lost, the greatest number for any fire in Colorado history.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/wildfire/homes-burned-boulder-county-fire/73-535b6380-0b14-4c18-8b5a-3f76e00bfee5

• Sad 4

A forum for the end of the world.

Hi guys,

I work for a company in Iowa and we will be traveling from Iowa to Las Vegas for the World of Concrete trade show. We should be traveling through Colorado tomorrow or Friday. I am wondering if you guys see any potential travel issues on I-70 in the higher mountain elevations Thursday afternoon or Friday morning?

Thank you,

Nick

9 hours ago, Nick24 said:

Hi guys,

I work for a company in Iowa and we will be traveling from Iowa to Las Vegas for the World of Concrete trade show. We should be traveling through Colorado tomorrow or Friday. I am wondering if you guys see any potential travel issues on I-70 in the higher mountain elevations Thursday afternoon or Friday morning?

Thank you,

Nick

Not tomorrow, but things could get a little dicey on Friday. Looks like a few inches for the mountains early Friday AM until the afternoon.

A forum for the end of the world.