3/13 - 3/14 Monster March Storm

Tom

Sorry for not posting much about the severe wx potential today, I had a presentation this morning that I spent all day yesterday working on. Back in the game now.

When looking at this sounding, one major thing sticks out like a sore thumb, and that is the lack of CAPE. At best I think we're looking at routine thunderstorms. Areas to the S/SW of Lincoln near the KS border have more CAPE and moisture to work with. Shear looks phenomenal for here, I'm not worried about that. If we want more CAPE, though, we need to hope the sun magically peeks out and gives us some heating cuz I don't see much of a potential for severe wx otherwise. And that's not even an issue if we don't have the mid-level moisture to give us storms in the first place.

Speaking of that the sun is peaking through now here.

Insane wind gusts with the system....

WIND GUSTS LAST 24 HOURS:

Pine Springs, TX: 103 mph
Glen Haven, CO: 92 mph
Fritch, TX: 84 mph
Kern County, CA: 82 mph
Amarillo, TX: 80 mph
Denver, CO: 80 mph
Grand Prairie, TX: 80 mph
  • Like 3

Good to see the NWS took me out of the Winter Storm Warning almost as soon as they put me in it.  What's the point of that?  The snow isn't even falling yet so they might as well wait until the banding sets up and adjust if needed. I guess they think the band won't be this far East. They left it 1 county to the west and northwest though.  Idk, seems pretty pointless.

• Like 1

I'm glad we got storms with heavy rain last night because today's wave of precip was a dud.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

After 78 mph winds t his morning, we've calmed down to 30 mph gusts and 20 constant wind. 

Temps hit 79*

I have no idea how much rain I got because it was blowing so hard it didn't go into the collector.

As such, it freakin' poured.

Power is out of about half the county.  I got lucky this time, but lightning was various shades of orange.

I have no idea what that means, but it was nasty!

By the way, I was out in the tail end of it at 5:30 am trying to find my trash can!  :blink: Found it, along with a number of other neighbors and their trash cans

A good time was had by all.

• Like 3

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

I'm glad we got storms with heavy rain last night because today's wave of precip was a dud.

Yeah.. don’t get me wrong, I appreciated the rain last night. BUT... considering how impressive the storm is overall, the results here are rather “meh.” Guess it has more to do with the lack of any notable storms here, though I know you got some more of that last night.

I've been watching some of the footage coming out of this massive Blizzard raging across the Foothills into W NE and it's something I've never seen before. Hurricane Force wind gusts and heavy snow, blowing snow and whiteouts. This is epic stuff right here....#Snow’Cane’19

This vid is at Scottsbluff, NE:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1105952447342800896

• Like 8

I actually just saw the sun poke out to my east very briefly, but rain was coming down pretty solid with a shower moving in from the south. Interesting sight to see. I suspect a vast majority of the snowpack should be gone by tomorrow, as today really put a huge hit on it. Temp sitting around 50 right now. Not sure why I’m higher than the airport and most reports around me, but I’ve had that 50 verified by three different instruments.

Yes, the dry slot brought a fair amount of sunshine up to Cedar Rapids.  The temp has responded by rising to 54.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Do models show additional rain in the Cedar Rapids area tonight or tomorrow?

Maybe some light rain or a flake of snow as the weakening upper low moves through the area.

The sun has been out since 3p now and we rose up to 61.7 at my weather station. Ended up with 1.36" of rain today and 1.80" total.

The craziest thing so far today has been the flooding here in town. Had a road that I take to and from work that had water over the northbound lanes this morning during the heavier rain. I've never seen that before on that road. There was also a manhole cover that had water shooting out of it. That's since gone down, but now at my workplace our parking lot is starting to flood.

The Big Papillion creek passes by my workplace to the east and is normally a pretty calm stream. I'd say it's never more than a few feet deep and in fact you can't see the stream from my office, just the deep channel that's been cut out. This afternoon the water has entirely risen out of the very large channel and has come into the parking lot. A few cars have had water surround them up to the bottom of the vehicle. They had to send out an email to everyone in the office building advising them to check where their cars are and to move them if needed. The river gauges in the immediate area are seasonal so aren't recording right now(for whatever reason), but when I look at the other gauge that is reporting along the creek in town, I show the creek is up 20 FEET from 9' to 29'!! Insane!

• Like 2

No real flooding down here, but I'm not sure how Salt Creek looks. That may be high.

Storms ended up popping off basically right on top of me. I only saw a couple drops of rain. Oh well. It's March, we have 3 full months of prime severe wx season left.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I just learned how lucky i was early this morning. The storm passed over at 4:30-5 am.

We had 80mph winds, but just east of us, 20-25 mi., the storm picked up and hit 109 mph. That would have trashed the place.

I feel very fortunate.

• Like 5

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

The sun has been out since 3p now and we rose up to 61.7 at my weather station. Ended up with 1.36" of rain today and 1.80" total.

The craziest thing so far today has been the flooding here in town. Had a road that I take to and from work that had water over the northbound lanes this morning during the heavier rain. I've never seen that before on that road. There was also a manhole cover that had water shooting out of it. That's since gone down, but now at my workplace our parking lot is starting to flood.

The Big Papillion creek passes by my workplace to the east and is normally a pretty calm stream. I'd say it's never more than a few feet deep and in fact you can't see the stream from my office, just the deep channel that's been cut out. This afternoon the water has entirely risen out of the very large channel and has come into the parking lot. A few cars have had water surround them up to the bottom of the vehicle. They had to send out an email to everyone in the office building advising them to check where their cars are and to move them if needed. The river gauges in the immediate area are seasonal so aren't recording right now(for whatever reason), but when I look at the other gauge that is reporting along the creek in town, I show the creek is up 20 FEET from 9' to 29'!! Insane!

North Park?

First ever flash flood emergency issued by OAX if I'm not mistaken?

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

Flash Flood Warning

National Weather Service Omaha/Valley Nebraska

722 PM CDT WED MAR 13 2019

...FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY FOR TOWN OF ROGERS AND SCHUYLER...

The National Weather Service in Omaha has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...

Southeastern Colfax County in northeastern Nebraska...

Western Dodge County in east central Nebraska...

* Until 1115 PM CDT.

* At 714 PM CDT, emergency management reported a levee which is

likely to be overtopped or may become compromised along the Shell

Creek, which begins just passed the US 30 and NE 15 interchange

and extends towards the confluence of the Shell Creek and the

Platte River. Residents in the vicinity of the levee are urged to

evacuate and seek higher ground while there is still time.

Flash flooding is expected to begin shortly.

This is a FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY for locations between Schulyer

and Rogers. This is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. SEEK HIGHER

GROUND NOW!

* Some locations that will experience flooding include...

Schuyler and Rogers.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Move to higher ground now. This is an extremely dangerous and

life-threatening situation. Do not attempt to travel unless you are

fleeing an area subject to flooding or under an evacuation order.

Move to higher ground now. Act quickly to protect your life.

A Flash Flood Warning means that flooding is imminent or occurring.

If you are in the warned area move to higher ground immediately.

Residents living along streams and creeks should take immediate

precautions to protect life and property.

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

@CentralNeb, imagine if this was all snow??? This defo band is redic on radar....crazy comma hook to it...

Was just put in a blizzard warning. Just switched over.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

National Weather Service Hastings NE

954 PM CDT Wed Mar 13 2019

...Strong Winds and Snow will create Blizzard Conditions...

Valley-Greeley-Sherman-Dawson-Buffalo-Gosper-Phelps-Kearney-

Including the cities of Ord, Greeley, Spalding, Scotia, Wolbach,

Loup City, Sherman Reservoir, Litchfield, Lexington, Cozad,

Willow Island, Gothenburg, Kearney, Elwood, Johnson Lake,

Holdrege, and Minden

954 PM CDT Wed Mar 13 2019

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM CDT THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions expected. Total snow accumulations of

3 to 5 inches. Winds gusting as high as 55 to 65 mph.

* WHERE...Portions of central and south central Nebraska.

* WHEN...Until 1 PM CDT Thursday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on hazardous road conditions. The

hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening

commute. Strong winds could cause extensive damage to trees and

power lines.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Blizzard Warning means severe winter weather conditions are

expected or occurring. Falling and blowing snow with strong winds

and poor visibilities are likely. This will lead to whiteout

conditions, making travel extremely dangerous. Do not travel. If

you must travel, have a winter survival kit with you. If you get

stranded, stay with your vehicle.

The latest road conditions for the state you are calling from can

be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

• Like 2

Good to see the NWS took me out of the Winter Storm Warning almost as soon as they put me in it. What's the point of that? The snow isn't even falling yet so they might as well wait until the banding sets up and adjust if needed. I guess they think the band won't be this far East. They left it 1 county to the west and northwest though. Idk, seems pretty pointless.

Ha, Man did they miss that forecast! You’re right, Just keep it the way it was. Instead you go from a winter storm warning, advisory, then back to a blizzard warning. I am hoping it can make its way a little further east so I can get into the action that you guys will see!

The last major flooding event that I can remember for Columbus was in the spring of 1993. I can't remember the month but I'm gonna guess it had to be March. Anyway; I might get to see the greatest flood ever for this area as this video shows more is coming. So sad for those down stream but places are being evacuated along the loup and further north along the niobrara tonight. Locations along and east of highway 281 and west of 81 will see blizzard conditions over night. I was kept up last night by continuous booms of thunder and vivid lightning that gave me an inch of rain. Hoping to get lucky with that narrow band of snow tonight we shall see. Here are some pics from my area after the flooding. Luckily no water in by basement; swing set and garden are having some water issues on the other hand.......

flood 1.jpg

flood 2.jpg

flood 3.jpg

flood 4.jpg

flood 5.jpg

• Like 5

Looks to be pretty much done here for the entire event. Rain tonight is going north and west of here and for tomorrow might have some lt rain mixed with some lt snow showers in the afternoon. Will be windy. At this point I’m watching to see how low the pressure goes on my weather station. Down to 29.09” so far.

• Like 2

What a beauty this thing is.  Wish it had been a winter storm but oh well. Still could get some blizzard conditions for a bit at least.  The extensive flooding will definitely make this storm remembered for years to come.  Nebraska has sure been a storm magnet lately, nice to see that for once instead of the usual near misses.

• Like 2

Alright, the narrow band shifted just enough east to get me in on the action. It is absolutely ripping. The winds are as strong as I've ever experienced in a winter storm. I can't even walk north for more than a minute without having troubles. I would be shocked if there aren't accidents on the interstate from this as it's going right across I 80 between Grand Island and Kearney.  Someone in that area has to have 6 inches by now.  This band is probably 30 miles wide.  Crazy

• Like 2