April 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Got 0.26" of rain here from the storms. I saw no hail, just a nice heavy downpour. Kind of disappointed that the best of the storm was on the south side of the city, and it missed me by just about 5 miles or so. It looked like it was heading right towards CR but the track was just a bit too far southeast. 

Hopefully we can get some decent rains within the next week. GFS has rain this weekend, and then again next week. 

• Like 1

Sunny and gorgeous outside w readings in the 50s after some morning rainfall.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

The high here in Grand Rapids of 65° today was reached at 3 AM and now the temperature is down to 45 and cloudy. Only received 0.02" of rain here, But even with the lack of rain things are green up here. There looks to be a good frost tonight with a low of 30 or so possible. And there is a chance of a rain/snow mix on Saturday night.

Suddenly, it turned cloudy and looked like it was going to pour, but, sunshine came out. It looked real ominous there for a second. Breezy conditions as well w temps holding in the 50s. It turned a tad cooler today as the CF came on through. Yesterday was much milder.

Beautiful spring time weather here in Central Nebraska.  Going up to a high of 66 today.  We had about 1.10" of rain Sunday night into early Monday morning.  Very few got that much and most got a lot less.  Grass is thick and green most yards but trees are slow to bud out this spring.  Our 7th grade son has a track meet today over in Minden, 24 miles east of here, so we should get some rays later on this afternoon.

Just saw that. Not a fan.

I agree.... forget the snow. Many trees have small leaves & freezing temperatures could damage things now! Let's continue on with spring & thunderstorms. This weather is so much better than winter, cold and cloudiness!!

• Like 1

Thunderstorms tonight and mañana. Some will be severe but hail should limit itself to pea size.

The DFW area will,see 1-2", while further east and south will get the full treatment at 2-4".

Hey, it's Spring.

PS.....Uhhhh, is it time to change the banner??

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Haven't we seen this pattern before???  Dominant SE ridge and a cold pool right across the central CONUS is being predicted per the latest 00z EPS.  My call for warmth post 6th/7th of May is not looking good at this point as a majority of the climate models are turning cooler.

@MikeKC, your not going to need your sprinklers starting next week for good while.  Big time wet signal showing up for your region.

• Like 1

Texas confirmed the model last night. 3" of rain here. Heavy downpours, plenty of lightning.

We got the full treatment.

More on the way today.

• Like 3

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

The LRC called for a wet/wild/cool month of April for the KC area. The total opposite has occurred, we’re above average on temps and parts of the city are 2.5 inches below average on moisture. We have missed every storm except for a few smaller ones. Hopefully rain returns soon as we were terribly dry last spring and summer.

Tom,

The cycling pattern forecast was a bust for KC in April. Lezak won’t let you know that and he deletes your comments on his blog when you ask why? You are great at letting people know when you miss a forecast, thanks for doing that. Although you don’t miss too many. Lezak runs and hides or makes up excuses. Love your analysis on the pattern every day.

How’s KC looking the next two months? Will we be above average on temps in May like we were in April? Big rains coming?

• Like 1

Tom,

Oops, I didn’t read your comment above. We’ll see, the models showed a bunch of rain for KC back in early April for the next 2-3 weeks and here we sit with some parts only seeing .5 inches this month.

May and June are very wet months in KC on average, hopefully they act like it this year.

Another 1.41" of rain today.....that's 4.41" over the last 24 hrs.

Not bad.

• Like 2

Cut my lawn for the first time this evening. We've had just enough rainfall to see things green up nicely around here without going crazy. Any white stuff is officially unwelcome at this point. Doubt I have much to worry about here tbh. Not thrilled about all those blue departures painted going into May, but it's better than pre-mature scorching. Trees are beginning to leaf-out around here enough to be noticeable as well. Easter Sunday we began the morning at 31F and by late afternoon hit a high of 70F. That's a 39 degree recovery! Doubt that happens very often here in the Lakes. 

• Like 3

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Cut my lawn for the first time this evening. We've had just enough rainfall to see things green up nicely around here without going crazy. Any white stuff is officially unwelcome at this point. Doubt I have much to worry about here tbh. Not thrilled about all those blue departures painted going into May, but it's better than pre-mature scorching. Trees are beginning to leaf-out around here enough to be noticeable as well. Easter Sunday we began the morning at 31F and by late afternoon hit a high of 70F. That's a 39 degree recovery! Doubt that happens very often here in the Lakes. 

Awesome amigo.

Here tbh, trees are still bare (80%) of them and I am not surprised because its been too chilly. Hopefully, they will start to bud soon. The grass has started to green up, but not to full capacity. Doesnt really feel like May is entering the picture. It feels more like April is about to start. Lows ova the next couple of nights are expected to dip into the 30s w wcf in the 20s.

• Like 3

Currently at 46F w mostly cloudy skies.

Euro 6HR Min temps for Sun AM. Brrrrr. (personally wouldn't mind seeing some of the garden centers panic- they put their tender stuff out earlier and earlier every year). Hear in DSM the other day I heard some people talking about planting tomatoes all ready.(outside)  Good Luck with that!!!

ecmwfued_rapid-MN2Tsfc--usnc-84-C-2mtminfh_2019042500_whitecounty.png

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

IEM daily feature. Daryl's statement mentioning the benefits for those with agricultural interests is very true. But that dryness looks to be ending in the next week for parts of the Midwest, at least for a period.

Wed Apr 24, 2019

IMG-3278.png

View larger image

Amazing to Talk Dryness

24 Apr 2019 05:33 AM

After a wet and snowy winter, it is somewhat amazing to now be discussing some dryness that has developed over Iowa. The featured map is of precipitation departures from average over the 11 March thru 22 April period. A significant portion of central and southeastern Iowa is below 75% of average with a smaller portion below 50%. Not many folks are currently complaining though as this dry weather was just what was needed to dry out the agricultural fields. There is also significant soil moisture still present and high river flows yet from the snow melt, so this dry weather has had few negative impacts.

Voting: Good - 13 Bad - 3

• Like 3

Euro 6HR Min temps for Sun AM. Brrrrr. (personally wouldn't mind seeing some of the garden centers panic- they put their tender stuff out earlier and earlier every year). Hear in DSM the other day I heard some people talking about planting tomatoes all ready.(outside)  Good Luck with that!!!

attachicon.gifecmwfued_rapid-MN2Tsfc--usnc-84-C-2mtminfh_2019042500_whitecounty.png

Yeah.. it's to early to plant tomatoes, especially with no real warmth in the forecast. Tomatoes do best in warm & somewhat dry conditions.
  • Like 1

Currently at 43F w cloudy skies and some rain on the way for later today and especially tanite.

The weekend looks crazy. Dont even wanna look at my forecast...UGH!

• Like 1

attachicon.gifecmwfued_rapid-MN2Tsfc--usnc-84-C-2mtminfh_2019042500_whitecounty.png

Crazy weather. Trees here are still bare. Does not seem like May is about to begin.

Yeah.. it's to early to plant tomatoes, especially with no real warmth in the forecast. Tomatoes do best in warm & somewhat dry conditions.

Nothing like a great salad from your garden amigo. Tomatoes are so fresh and tasty when you get them right off your property. You can really taste the difference. Delicious!

• Like 2

Started the day with a pea souper of a fog.

55* headed for a Sunny 83*.

If my allergies are any measure of the spring and summer (a wet one) ahead, I better stock up on meds.

Usually our hot dry Texas summers kill off a lot of allergens, but....if Tom's right, we'll have a misery index instead of a heat index.

Yesterday was a great spring day. And today looks to be a repeat with slightly warmer temperatures. Here in my neck of the woods the grass is green, dandelions are showing their yellow flowers LOL spring flowers are in bloom, and the trees are starting to leaf out

With just 6 days to go it is time to look and see how April 2019 is playing out so far. At Grand Rapids the mean is now at 47.8° that is +1.0° above average. The warmest/coldest is at 77/19 and so far there has been 4.9” of snow fall. At Muskegon the mean is 47.5 the H/L is 80/26 and there has been 7.8” of snow fall. Elsewhere around Michigan Lansing the mean is at 47.2° that is a departure of +0.9 the warmest is at 76 and the coldest is at 20 and their snow fall is at 1.6” At Detroit the mean is 49.2 the H/L is 74/22 and just a trace of snow fall. At Flint the mean is 46.2 the H/L is 74/20 and they have recorded 2.1” of snow fall so far. As Saginaw the mean is at 46.1 the H/L is at 76/21 and their snow fall is at 2.1” At Alpena the mean up there is at 41.3 the H/L is 76/18 and they have had 10.1” of snow fall. At the Sault the mean there is at 38.2 with the H/L there being 63/15 with just 2.5” of snow fall and they report a trace of snow still on the ground. At Marquette the numbers are a mean of 35.1 the H/L of 65/11 they reported 8.6” of snow fall and still report a trace on the ground. At Munising their mean is at 36.1 with the H/L of 61/18 they reported 5.3” of snow fall and at the airport there is a reported 7” of snow still on the ground.

• Like 1