April 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

Omegaraptor

April showers bring May showers, which bring June showers til the 4th of July.

Except not anymore, because...the new normal.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

March recap for SEA. First half was cool and second half was warm. The first 2 weeks was part of the 40 days below normal stretch and ended with 18 consecutive days of above normal temps( highlighted by several near missed 80F days). In terms of precip, well below normal. Ended up with 1.37” of rain, which is a good 2.5” below normal. For the year, SEA is now about -3” in deficit.

Overall, March was very pleasant.

Expecting a different April though, at least the 1st half. It will probably be quite wet at times. Which I’m looking forward to.

• Like 1

Gorgeous morning in Skykomish!

Still a small pile of snow on the other side of the river.

Edit: On second thought...this looks too much like a disgusting sterile golf course with a water hazard. Vomit.

84BBE468-F026-4D56-BB76-096ED9C96D8E.jpeg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Backyard bloomage and greenage for anyone interested. All popped Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Cherry blossom in the front yard.

XhrQA1h.jpg

Forsythia, Daffodils, Cherries.

hfNOw5S.jpg

Bradford pears blooming across the roundabout.

BnKSN7o.jpg

Oh yeah, Seattle actually was summer-like during the March heat wave. Portland was more May/June like.

Stations away from the Gorge like Hillsboro recorded higher temps.

PDX average was 56.6/36.7

Those upper 70s were a huge aberration. Would have been warm by July standards.

V9Ecdie.jpg

Those upper 70s were a huge aberration. Would have been warm by July standards.V9Ecdie.jpg

To be fair, September is warmer than June on the West Coast, and this map doesn’t account for that. Would there be any major difference?

But yes, for Seattle standards, upper 70s is actually above normal in July. Not Portland, though. We’re not on the 50 degree pool of water.

69 in North Bend and 63 at SEA right now.

Looks like lots of UHI out here today.

temp-4-1.png

Been trying to explain this to some that doesn’t understand our microclimates since mid-March. Not denying UHI exists but the main contributor to our heatwave last month was due to the East wind component. Same as today, almost all the areas in the surrounding foothills are experiencing higher temperatures due to the East wind. The Puget Sound in general are spared of the winds today, thus seeing lower temps than in the foothills.

This is what microclimate does.

Been trying to explain this to some that doesn’t understand our microclimates since mid-March. Not denying UHI exists but the main contributor to our heatwave last month was due to the East wind component. Same as today, almost all the areas in the surrounding foothills are experiencing higher temperatures due to the East wind. The Puget Sound in general are spared of the winds today, thus seeing lower temps than in the foothills.

This is what microclimate does.

UHI definitely impacts SEA. And geography impacts North Bend... often making it warmer out here (or colder). And that happens in all seasons.

But according to Phil... SEA is always the hottest spot in the region and the temp there is meaningless. That is just not true. If SEA is 20 degrees warmer than OLM on a morning with an east wind... then its still very meaningful and real and almost entirely related to geography and not UHI. I will still report the temp at SEA... people can subtract 1 or 2 degrees if they want to pretend its still the 1800s. ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Dude. Let it go.

69 in North Bend... and the temp at SEA is overstated by at least 20 degrees due to UHI.

So the 63 at SEA is really 43... making it 26 degrees warmer out here at the same elevation as the summit of Mt. Rainier.     

Amazing day.     :wub:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

69 in North Bend... and the temp at SEA is overstated by at least 20 degrees due to UHI.

So the 63 at SEA is really 43... making it 26 degrees warmer out here at the same elevation as the summit of Mt. Rainier.

Amazing day. :wub:

Now you’re just trolling.

Now you’re just trolling.

As does Phil... literally all the time.

He was really angry that I even mentioned that it was 79 at SEA a couple weeks ago... telling me to not even to recognize that horrific station.    

So subtract 2 degrees then... 77 is still a really warm day in the middle of March and that is all I was saying.   

As does Phil... literally all the time.

He was really angry that I even mentioned that it was 79 at SEA a couple weeks ago... telling me to not even to recognize that horrific station.

So subtract 2 degrees then... 77 is still a really warm day in the middle of March and that is all I was saying.

Isn’t that what “let it go” is? Or should we call in Elsa?

• Like 1

Now means making it way too obvious. It was a good run when he was semi-hiding the antics.

Antics?   Hiding?

Saying there must be lots of UHI out here today is hiding my intentions?   :lol:

Phil can't stand the thought that it can actually be warm at SEA and many times even warmer out here.    

Nature trolls Phil all the time... 

55869261_2142135692521294_89653766971635

56367354_2142137289187801_10090855323549

Antics? Hiding?

Saying there must be lots of UHI out here today is hiding my intentions? :lol:

Phil can't stand the thought that it can actually be warm at SEA and many times even warmer out here.

Nature trolls Phil all the time...

55869261_2142135692521294_89653766971635

56367354_2142137289187801_10090855323549

Dude. We get it, most of us that lived here all our lives understands the microclimates. Phil doesn’t even though he took a hardass stance in refusing to accept some of stuff that goes on.

Point is, there is no need to regurgitate stuff from 2 weeks back. It’s a new month, move on.

This will be my last response to this topic. Though it’s more likely than not you will respond some regurgitation.

Dude. We get it, most of us that lived here all our lives understands the microclimates. Phil doesn’t even though he took a hardass stance in refusing to accept some of stuff that goes on.

Point is, there is no need to regurgitate stuff from 2 weeks back. It’s a new month, move on.

I am sure I will be trolled again very soon for not recognizing the UHI at SEA... even though I have said many times that it is real and exists.   I hope you call Phil out as well.    ^_^

In regard to the warm a couple weeks ago... on 3/19 the official high at SEA was 79 and at UIL (surrounded by rainforest) it was 81 that day.

Some of the stuff posted on here today is beyond stupid.

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.