4/10 - 4/12 Plains/Upper Midwest Powerhouse Blizzard

Tom

People in parts of the metro are reporting dirty snow falling from the sky. Apparently the dust from Texas has been carried up here and is mixing in with the snow. Crazy stuff.

Here's the satellite pic that Schnack retweeted from NWS Twin Cities.

IMG-3080.jpg

• Like 6

Special Weather Statement

Special Weather Statement

National Weather Service Twin Cities/Chanhassen MN

1257 PM CDT THU APR 11 2019

MNZ051-052-060-061-111830-

Anoka-Isanti-Hennepin-Sherburne-

1257 PM CDT THU APR 11 2019

...A LINE OF STORMS WILL AFFECT NORTHEASTERN HENNEPIN...ANOKA...

SOUTHWESTERN ISANTI AND EASTERN SHERBURNE COUNTIES...

At 1256 PM CDT, radar indicated strong thunderstorms were located

along a line extending from Rogers to North Minneapolis. Movement was

north at 65 mph.

Dime size hail is possible with these storms.

This is insanity.

It was during the late evening hours, around 9-10pm if I remember correctly.

Thankfully only saw some brief heavy rains, lots of lightning and thunder, and some pea sized hail with the thunderstorms last night.

Maybe this storm?

IMG-3053.png

IMG-3084.png

Here are some links to some neat sites on IEM & Weather.us

https://weather.us/radar-us/d01e36f44910599666590a9207f1a7b8/reflectivity/KOAX_20130410-012654z.html

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/timemachine/#2.201304100135

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/timemachine/#26.201304100000

• Like 3

Yeah that was the storm. The second picture shows the purple dot over the western parts of Omaha and that was the hail core where up to baseball sized hail was observed.

That storm was crazy for the big hail and the strength of the thunderstorm while temperatures were in the 30’s. Last nights setup wasn’t all that much different, however the hail that we saw around here was nothing compared to 2013.

• Like 2

I haven't heard any thunder from this stuff.  It's just very brief light rain showers.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

The warm front, or maybe occluded front by now, hasn’t quite reached my location yet, but it’s getting close. There is a narrow tongue of 60°> temps from se. into central Ia. But all of the storms should be east of here, & I think it’s over for here. Not even 0.10” of rain in the last 24 hours.

Looks like we’ve added an additional 0.28” of rain here today. Up to a storm total of 0.75”.

There are some spotty showers in the area right now, but everything is staying west of here so far. Assuming it continues to develop like the models show, should get a little additional rain this evening. Likely very minimal accumulation, though.

I gotta say... for all the rain we’ve had the last couple weeks, the lack of storms around here is rather disappointing.

• Like 1

I picked up 0.24" of rain today, making my two-day total 0.99"

The cars here are dirty because of the dirty rain.  I noticed the water in my gauge was a bit cloudy.

• Like 2

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

So after the showers tonight, the rainfall here today was 0.48”, which puts the storm total at 0.95”.

Can’t really say any model nailed this one. NAM was probably the closest, as it didn’t have some of those 2-3” totals the GFS was showing (and I don’t think the Euro was all that far behind).

I was wondering why the snow was dirty looking! Crazy!

I noticed this morning that it had a light tan color to it. Looked almost like sawdust. But I didn’t think anything of it until I saw other reports of it around the area. Today was one crazy weather day. Ground blizzard conditions, lightning, hail, sleet....all after 8” or so of snow. If that was the last snow of the season, that was a great ending.

Edit: as I type this, it’s sleeting like mad again.

• Like 5

The cars here are dirty because of the dirty rain.  I noticed the water in my gauge was a bit cloudy.

I noticed my car windshield was really dirty after the rain all day. That came from Texas?! Crazy stuff

• Like 1

The 00z Euro finally caved to the other models.  I suspected this was coming.

• Like 1

Same thing here. Noticed that the outside of my gauges were very dirty! That's crazy having west Tx. dirt coating everything up here! Lol Now we need more rain to rinse everything off again. Hopefully we'll get more convection the last half of next week when there are chances for several days. Could even be some heavy rainfall for se.Ia.

I'm seeing plenty of 2' tallies across SD which seems to be the epicenter of this historic Blizzard.  Just incredible to see nature produce such a Powerhouse storm.  I'm worried about the farmers and their poor cattle that had to endure the battle with nature.

nsm_depth_2019041205_Upper_Midwest.jpg

• Like 2

Hopefully it melts very slowly.  We've had enough flooding in my area and south along the Missouri River.

Good news is that highs there should be mostly in the 30s for the next few days. No 50s and 60s that caused it all to melt in one day last time.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.