Favorite and least favorite summers!

Omegaraptor

For those of you who do stick around for the rest of the year, what are your favorite and least favorite summers?

My favorite would take some thought but I’d have to go with 2016. Not a complete scorcher but still very nice and warm and there was a decent heat wave in August.

Least favorites:

1954 - There was no summer that year.

1993 - There was no summer that year. Thanks, Mt Pinatubo.

2018 - Smokefest. 2017 had raining ash but dodged the list for that impressive August heatwave. 2018 had nothing of the sort, just incessant heat for a month, followed by smoke. Especially awful in Southern Oregon and far north California.

My least favorite was probably 2011. So much heat and humidity (heat index topped 120*F), not to mention an anemic severe thunderstorm season. Everything went around me. And a warm/humid autumn that led to my least favorite winter of all time.

My favorite was probably 2010, due to the frequent severe weather, even though it was oppressively humid. The severe storm on July 25th produced a 127mph wind gust here, which is the strongest I’ve experienced to this point. Lost power for 4 days with lots of damage to trees and homes too.

Lacrosse ball sized hail also fell in early June. Have never seen that before, and have never seen it since.

My least favorite was probably 2011. So much heat and humidity (heat index topped 120*F), not to mention an anemic severe thunderstorm action. Everything went around me. And a warm/humid autumn that led to my least favorite winter of all time.

My favorite was probably 2010, due to the frequent severe weather, even though it was oppressively humid. The severe storm on July 25th produced a 127mph wind gust here, which is the strongest I’ve experienced to this point. Lost power for 4 days with lots of damage to trees and homes too.

Lacrosse ball sized hail also fell in early June. Have never seen that before, and have never seen it since.

yeah the thunderstorms of 2010 were quite insane for sure and agreed about the winter of 2011-2012 that winter sucked Donkey balls for sure.the thunderstorms the last few years summer wise have been pretty sucky to say the least we need the action back.
  • Like 1

2 yrs ago was the worst. Non-stop blast furnace and Silent Hill ashfall in August-Sept.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

It's hard to answer that since we don't get any thunderstorms or exciting weather here like most places get. Usually we'll get at least one day when some monsoon activity reaches the coast.

My favorite would probably be 2015 since we got a lot more monsoon activity than normal. A few remnants of hurricanes hit us. One was in July, bringing some rain, but with temperatures still really warm and tropical-like, which pretty much never happens here. San Diego got record rainfall for July. In September, Hurricane Linda's remnants hit us and brought more than an inch of rain to some areas, but once again it was a warm rain with temperatures reaching about 80 degrees. There were also some strong thunderstorms a few days before that, but I was in Puerto Vallarta for a week at that time. Linda caused some big waves and thunderstorms there as well, but stayed out far over the ocean.

My least favorite would probably be 2010. We had a few cold, rainy days in early July and the ocean never got warm. The coldest day was only 65 degrees inland and dark and gloomy all day long. The beaches were cold and foggy almost all summer long with Oceanside having record cold highs almost every day in July and August, but not far inland it was sunny and in the 70s most days. That's pretty comfortable, but it felt more like spring than summer. Also it would have been nice to be able to enjoy the beach more.

Summers of 14 and 15 were both amazing for thunderstorms in northern Utah. July of 2014 had 3.5" of rain where I lived, including one day with quarter sized hail for 30 minutes (off and on) and another day with a rain rate of 12.5"/hr briefly. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12