May 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Looks like Nebraska and Iowa is going to be too far north for any real severe threat unless things change/slow down, and even then a crashing cold front coming in from the almost due north is HORRIBLE for any real decent severe weather threat. Storms just constantly get undercut.

• Like 1

We had the closest thing to a cloud burst I’ve ever seen beginning around 9:30 pm it’s still raining and will go through much of the night.

Unbelievable amount of rain in 45 mins. I’ll have a total in the morning if my gauge survived. This is going to be some year down here.

Update: ..... We received 2.75" in about 40 minutes. Just an amazing downpour.

Solar Minimum is definitely at play here. Strange weather year in Texas.

• Like 3

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

I caught the story on the news, Tom, but this puts it in perspective.

I understand Davenport does not have a heavy levy system. Being a sizable city, I asurprised.

There certainly has been a lot of flooding up their way this winter and spring.

Everything here is at capacity and lakes are doing controlled releasing. We're saturated.

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

As blocking becomes more dominant across North America, I do anticipate a drier period the farther north you are across the Sub Forum (MW on north?).  We will also enter a period during the LRC that wasn't as active and with strong HP bleeding its way into the middle of the nation mid-month, hopefully that will aid farmers to get out and plant or re-plant in some cases.

gfs-ens_mslpaNormMean_namer_6.png

gfs-ens_apcpna_namer_6.png

The mid-month dry period won't last, however, and I expect another active period right around or just before the Memorial Day holiday.  Hope everyone is enjoying the tranquil weather this weekend back home and across the board.  Happy Cinco de Mayo celebrations!  BTW, I'm a big time "foodie" and absolutely love Mexican food.  Tacos and Guac all day....about to prep for a morning hike...adios!

• Like 4

Are we ever going to see warm weather? Wow. I’m ready for some 80s. Some humidity wouldn’t be bad either. Bring on summer already. Looking at the extended GFS. Temps look to stay in the 60s as far as the eye can see. Yuck.

• Like 2

Happily, we'll be dry until Tuesday when rain chances of 40%-60% return through Thursday.

Are we ever going to see warm weather? Wow. I’m ready for some 80s. Some humidity wouldn’t be bad either. Bring on summer already. Looking at the extended GFS. Temps look to stay in the 60s as far as the eye can see. Yuck.

I’m alright moving into the 70s, but I’m good on the 80s and humid. No need for that stuff.

• Like 2

An interesting week of weather is brewing up for the heartland and the GL's region.  First, a stalled front will likely produce several waves of precip and Severe Wx for Mon/Tue across the Plains/MW, followed by a strong "Cutter" on Wed/Thu???  Potential May snow in the Upper MW/GL's region??  The Euro has been showing accumulating snowfall for a couple runs now and its EPS is indicating a cooler trend which may in fact suggest some snowfall up north. 

Finally, a clipper...yup, a clipper system dives SE out of Canada on the southern periphery of the North American Vortex (one of the main Exhibit's of this year's LRC) so far south this late in the season due to anomalous high lat blocking for the following weekend.  Crazy weather I tell ya.

Gorgeous day today w temps in the upper 60s w plentiful sunshine.

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Rain returns late tomorrow and continues for a couple of days b4 drying up towards the end of the week. Cool to chilly readings return as well. Lows will be in the 30s for 2 or 3 nights this upcoming week. No frozen precip is anticipated, thankfully.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Roof of a carwash was blown onto an arterial road in SW Lincoln. Where the roof blew and the lack of damage on surrounding buildings SCREAMS tornado.

Edit: Channel 8 says the roof came from Long John Silvers, and people are trapped inside.

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

A small cluster of decent cells just passed through Cedar Rapids.  There were some nice cracks and a couple low-end downpours that totaled about 0.21".

Wow, that was quite the storm on radar that passed by Lincoln.  Very cool spin-up.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Just a few sprinkles and rumbles of thunder today, as Omaha missed out on pretty much all of the action... was hoping for some decent rains to help my grass seedlings, however not much here once again. The severe weather is something that I am glad we missed out on though. 

Hopefully all of our Lincoln peeps are okay. Looks like you guys down in the Capital City took quite a hit today from that supercell thunderstorm. It certainly looked ominous here all afternoon, as that beast of a storm passed to our southwest.

• Like 1

Just a few sprinkles and rumbles of thunder today, as Omaha missed out on pretty much all of the action... was hoping for some decent rains to help my grass seedlings, however not much here once again. The severe weather is something that I am glad we missed out on though. 

Hopefully all of our Lincoln peeps are okay. Looks like you guys down in the Capital City took quite a hit today from that supercell thunderstorm. It certainly looked ominous here all afternoon, as that beast of a storm passed to our southwest.

Southwest portion of the city was the hardest hit, and as far as I know we don't have any members there. Just had non-severe winds and torrential quarter sized hail where I am. 

Another storm has popped off.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Got a buddy in Hutchinson they had a nasty cell go through there earlier. The signature was pretty intense.

I have a sister living sw of Hutchinson, but haven't contacted her to see if they got in on some action. I was watching those storms on the radar as well, & thought it looked close.

I have a sister living sw of Hutchinson, but haven't contacted her to see if they got in on some action. I was watching those storms on the radar as well, & thought it looked close.

He did say that there was a tornado south of them but they live on the very northern edge of town.
  • Like 1