May 2019 Weather Discussion PNW

Ironically I’m probably one of the main ones who talks about record highs and record warm MINs when they happen at PDX.

Record snow and cold in Bozeman tho

Share the love then! I’m actually headed back to PDX this weekend so it’s definitely “not cool”.

It’s honestly been a really climo spring here. Even with the snow flurries that fell this morning. #nothingtoseehere

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Was talking with an elder this evening. We began to gaze at the stars then she says "this weather, it's just so strange for this time of the year." And I said yep, the past 6 years have really changed things. Wonder what this means for the big picture.

Lush and green as can be here. We have had dinner on the deck for the last 3 evenings...fantastic!!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

One thing I like about warm weather this time of year is how quickly it cools off at night compared to midsummer. An 83 degree day on August 6th (equivalent sun angle to today) doesn't cool off nearly as effectively for whatever reason, I'm really not sure why that's the case - higher average humidity in August compared to May warm spells perhaps?

• Like 1

One thing I like about warm weather this time of year is how quickly it cools off at night compared to midsummer. An 83 degree day on August 6th (equivalent sun angle to today) doesn't cool off nearly as effectively for whatever reason, I'm really not sure why that's the case - higher average humidity in August compared to May warm spells perhaps?

There’s also a modest marine push moving in this evening. During Augusts of yesteryear being in the mid-60s by 10pm on a day that hit 83 wouldn’t be too unusual with a flow reversal. Those have pretty much disappeared from August climo recently, though. Especially the first half of the month.

Share the love then! I’m actually headed back to PDX this weekend so it’s definitely “not cool”.

It’s honestly been a really climo spring here. Even with the snow flurries that fell this morning. #nothingtoseehere

We’ll be heading to Port Townsend tomorrow, then camping out on the Olympic Coast near Lake Ozette later this week, where highs will be in the 60s. Couldn’t be happier missing the heat in Portland.

• Like 1

There’s also a modest marine push moving in this evening. During Augusts of yesteryear being in the mid-60s by 10pm on a day that hit 83 wouldn’t be too unusual with a flow reversal. Those have pretty much disappeared from August climo recently, though. Especially the first half of the month.

Good point on the marine push today, but even when we hit 90 in May with no evening marine intrusion we generally cool below average summertime lows. Last year for example it hit 90 on the 13th, fell to 56 the next morning before a high of 89 that day.

On another note, Portland recorded its first cooling degree days of the year today.

Two of them, to be exact.

Ah, very interesting.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Walked behind the shop and heard a bunch of scurrying and saw eyes. Seems like the amount of animals in this area has really been on the rise. A cougar was just seen and caught on video by someone a less than a mile away from here.

Almost time to get the AC ready. Wish our place had better ventilation.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Looks like we should be in the mid to upper 80s even up north here in the Seattle area. Near the sound here I would be suprised if we got above 85. Nice thing about a lot of the summer heat waves being near the sound it usually chops a few degrees off the temps which is nice because to me anything above 85 is unbearable. Warmest Overall high temperature I have for May here is 88 degrees we will see if it ends up being warmer than anticipated.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

It will be tempting for people to play in area rivers during this

upcoming warm spell, but rivers continue to run higher than normal

(at least relative to recent Springs) and water temperatures

generally remain in the 40s and 50s. These water temperatures are

certainly cold enough to result in cold water shock, hypothermia

and possibly death for those unprepared. /Neuman

From this morning's NWS Portland forecast discussion.

We’ll be heading to Port Townsend tomorrow, then camping out on the Olympic Coast near Lake Ozette later this week, where highs will be in the 60s. Couldn’t be happier missing the heat in Portland.

Headed North is a great way to miss the heat especially once you go north and west of Seattle. Up towards the Olympic peninsula and the San Juan’s past the hood canal a lot of times is 5-10 degrees cooler than Seattle is during the heat waves.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Headed North is a great way to miss the heat especially once you go north and west of Seattle. Up towards the Olympic peninsula and the San Juan’s past the hood canal a lot of times is 5-10 degrees cooler than Seattle is during the heat waves.

We’ve had this trip planned for a month or so, but yeah the timing is going to work out well.

GFS turns ugly after the 15th. Hopefully some of that can be avoided.

Another soaking rain would be good.

FWIW... the GFS FV3 shows about 3 days of troughing and then goes back to a big ridge.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Another soaking rain would be good.

FWIW... the GFS FV3 shows about 3 days of troughing and then goes back to a big ridge.

Even a “soaking” rain isn’t going to be that bad in May. Just get a bit of rain to help out and back to our beautiful weather would be perfect.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

The CMC, which shows a good soaking days 8-10, will probably verify. One of my friends will be visiting Seattle for the first time with his girlfriend the 14th - 18th, and this guy has the worst luck ever.

I'll be sure to tell him it was warm and sunny for three weeks leading up to his arrival.  :lol:

A forum for the end of the world.

The 12z ECMWF brings the rain in finally on the 15th now as well. It's sure a bizarre looking pattern progression though with a really cold airmass (for mid May) moving down the back side of the offshore trough.

Playing with fire on that one.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

The CMC, which shows a good soaking days 8-10, will probably verify. One of my friends will be visiting Seattle for the first time with his girlfriend the 14th - 18th, and this guy has the worst luck ever.

I'll be sure to tell him it was warm and sunny for three weeks leading up to his arrival.  :lol:

How much rain is forecasted? Any chance of the month finishing above average?

How much rain is forecasted? Any chance of the month finishing above average?

2.34 inched on your street. 2.36 inches a couple blocks over though.

37.35% chance it ends up above normal. Also a .001% chance its ends up exactly normal.

That is for your specific location. Other areas will be slightly different. Also... the models are not perfect with a 23-day rain total. Amounts could be off by .01 or .02 through month end.

But the CMC in particular will be virtually perfect over a 3 week period. As usual. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2.34 inched on your street. 2.36 inches a couple blocks over though.

37.35% chance it ends up above normal. Also a .001% chance its ends up exactly normal.

That is for your specific location. Other areas will be slightly different. Also... the models are not perfect with a 23-day rain total. Amounts could be off by .01 or .02 through month end.

But the CMC in particular will be virtually perfect over a 3 week period. As usual. :)

What a di€k.

ECMWF is improving... most of this comes on day 9.    But the pattern is favorable for more.   It would be nice to get some natural watering.    It only shows about 6 hours of rain here in the next 10 days.

ecmwf-tprecip-nw-41.png

Looks like another wave is approaching on the morning of day 10...

ecmwf-precip-06-nw-41.png