May 2019 Weather Discussion PNW

If my weather app is to be believed then there’s supposed to be no rain in the next 10 days and only 2 days below 65 degrees. Definitely a big change from the beginning of april.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Cliff Mass has confirmed that we are in a rex block and there won’t be rain anytime soon.

well things could change for the better later this month and next month but things haven’t been looking promising for a cooler wetter summer as of now. Have had 0.05” of rain since the 22nd and doesn’t look like much coming up in the next couple weeks. Could all change but right now at the beginning it looks like a 2018 repeat.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

well things could change for the better later this month and next month but things haven’t been looking promising for a cooler wetter summer as of now. Have had 0.05” of rain since the 22nd and doesn’t look like much coming up in the next couple weeks. Could all change but right now at the beginning it looks like a 2018 repeat.

The seasonal overlap is definitely interesting with 2018, even if the wavetrain doesn’t match as Phil says.

The seasonal overlap is definitely interesting with 2018, even if the wavetrain doesn’t match as Phil says.

has to be something there dried up just the same as last year in the second half of April we will see if it ends up being different with a different wave train or if we end up the same as last year. Enjoy the nice days now in case the smoke storms return!

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Up to 60 degrees at 12:30 with mostly sunny skies and a southwest breeze. I’m enjoying the sub 80s weather while we have it. Anything above 85 or so I don’t really like too much too hot for me days like today are great.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Best model reader of all time?

Cliff has a pretty reasonable take on the situation... less catastrophic and dire than some on here would want though.

It is not unusual to have a very dry period sometime during the first half of May....and this year won't disappoint.   Particularly, after April ended up wetter than normal over the Northwest.

The precipitation departure from normal over the western U.S for the past 30 days, shows that most of Washington and Oregon enjoyed above-normal precipitation last month (green and blue colors) 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Cliff has a pretty reasonable take on the situation... less catastrophic and dire than some on here would want though.

It is not unusual to have a very dry period sometime during the first half of May....and this year won't disappoint. Particularly, after April ended up wetter than normal over the Northwest.

The precipitation departure from normal over the western U.S for the past 30 days, shows that most of Washington and Oregon enjoyed above-normal precipitation last month (green and blue colors)

I am not going to worry about much unless we’re really dry through all of this and next month. Still a chance we could have some wet weather in the next 2 months and it’s also not really that unusual to be a bit warm and dry in May. I see the potential for things to be dry this summer but it’s still early.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Another gorgeous day.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I think the really dry air is sucking the moisture out of the delicate new vegetation growth. Seems like it's really coming in slow this year despite the unusually sunny and warm weather patterns we've had.

We had a dew point of 17 up here yesterday, today it’s 28 we’ve had a decent south breeze here today seems to have made the air a bit less dry here.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Had to get a nozzle for the hose when I lit the yard debris on fire today. It's so dry that I want to make sure I can spray longer distances to put out small fires that start from the ash floating around.

These are the costs of drought/climate change that are often overlooked.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Marine layer starting to form... air mass was too dry earlier.

nb-5-1.png

yeah there’s been a decent south breeze all afternoon finally enough to push the dew point into the mid 30s

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Same temp inside as outside. A Hawai’i-style, open the windows and use the screen door day.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Here comes the next WWB. This one is a behemoth and will make more eastward progress than the last one, possibly triggering a legitimate downwelling OKW given the preceding easterlies and slowdown of the westerly surface currents.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ventrice/real_time/timeLon/u.anom.30.5S-5N.gif

Windy here all of a sudden. Feels like a marine push.

Weve had breezy 25-30mph southwest winds throughout most of the day down here the dew points been rising and moister air is finally moving in from offshore.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Weve had breezy 25-30mph southwest winds throughout most of the day down here the dew points been rising and moister air is finally moving in from offshore.

It was calm here until late this afternoon but then the wind picked up and you could feel the airmass change. Dew point is about 10 degrees higher this evening. Also can usually tell when marine air is on the move here because it gets really hazy and visibility is reduced when looking towards the mountains to my west.

Bit cooler today with the clouds but looks like there should be some 60s and 70s this weekend into next week.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Streaky year continues.   

I bet there will be an extended wet period during the second half of May into early June.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Streaky year continues.

I bet there will be an extended wet period during the second half of May into early June.

we could use some wet weather according to the Nws Seattle this is the driest start to a year since 2008 with 13.35”.Also the 3rd time in 25 years that there has been less than 60 days with precipitation to start off the first 4 months of the year with 58 days, some interesting stats 2008 ended up being a great year in December maybe it’ll be the same this year.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Surprised that this is really the first "cloudy morning" in Wilsonville since I arrived here for my visit on April 20th.

Meanwhile back at home, lows still in the mid 20's this morning in Klamath, they're having the coolest start to May in several years.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Still a decent south marine breeze coming in not quite as breezy as yesterday. Cloudy skies still hopefully we can get some sunshine again this afternoon. Overall doesn’t look like much rain or anything for atleast the 1st half of the month hopefully we can get some decent rains on the back end of this month or the beginning of the next month. We had 2 inches of rain here last month about a half inch the month before so basically there hasn’t been much rain at all since the February snows. It’ll take some decent shots of rain in the next month to make up for the driest start of a year in the last 11 years.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Looking at the past 3 months at Shawnigan Lake and precip has been just 54% of normal. Not sure how that stacks up historically. But it seems remarkably dry.

Yeah I figured that when we had the rain in April it would help out more but it doesn’t seem to have helped much up north of Seattle. Atleast were not at 2015 levels. Hopefully we will get some precip again before the dry season really kicks in. 2018 went straight into the dry season basically at the end of April.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0