Climate in Norman Ok

I am curious about the climate of Norman Ok. What can anybody tell me? I applied for a few jobs there so its one of the places I may end up. 

All I really know is the reputation for severe storms. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

I am curious about the climate of Norman Ok. What can anybody tell me? I applied for a few jobs there so its one of the places I may end up.

SilverFallsAndrew might know more since he lived in OK for awhile (IIRC)? I don’t know much about it personally. Haven’t even visited the state.

I know it’s very continental and turbulent. The thunderstorm videos I see from there are incredible too . Supercells galore.

• Like 1

I concur.

Norman gets the storm flow from the Rockies. Has been known to do the tornado two step up there.

Storms can see hail, high winds.

Gets pretty cold in winter. Damp due to humidity in winter. Humid and hot in summer.

The heat and humidity climb as you go south. But anywhere near the Red River Valley is humid.

The big weather service based there could no doubt give you the particulars.

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Grew up around Norman. Lived in Moore, Norman, Wayne and Purcell over the course of my early life and have family that still lives and works in the area. It's a good area weatherwise. Summer is very long and hot. Most are quite dry but there have been a few rainy summers out there in my lifetime. 1993 and 1995 were historically wet, if I'm not mistaken. You're always only 20 mins away from seeing a great storm in severe weather days. I've lived in this state and spent enough summers out there to hate summer forever but hot summer is just a part of life. Tornadoes every week are pretty normal from March to July 1st. There won't be "sleepy" severe wx seasons and boring winters here forever but the last 25 years have been horrible to the warm side. It will reverse one day.

Mesonet.org can help you out with all the climate stuff you need since 1994 at least.

I watch Norman's weather in severe season and in major winter storms pretty closely due to family ties and stuff. If I'm not dodging tornadoes over here in the Ozark "jungle", they are or my family in Tulsa is. It keeps me on my toes.

• Like 1

Worth noting that Summers there are humid, but it's not quite as miserable as down in Texas. I find myself being able to stand outside in 95° temps there for about an hour at a time, which I couldn't do when I lived in Houston. However, I will say that they are subjected to pretty extraordinary heat waves, and temps approaching 110° aren't unheard of there in the most brutal Summers. I was there in the notorious Summer of 2011 when the entire southern half of the country was subjected to a desert Summer without the monsoonal storms. Got up to 109° on the hottest day I believe.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Worth noting that Summers there are humid, but it's not quite as miserable as down in Texas. I find myself being able to stand outside in 95° temps there for about an hour at a time, which I couldn't do when I lived in Houston. However, I will say that they are subjected to pretty extraordinary heat waves, and temps approaching 110° aren't unheard of there in the most brutal Summers. I was there in the notorious Summer of 2011 when the entire southern half of the country was subjected to a desert Summer without the monsoonal storms. Got up to 109° on the hottest day I believe.

Ah, yes I remember 2011. That was the torrid summer where DCA recorded a 121*F heat index.

During that heatwave, a small storm popped up overhead and ended up spiking the dewpoint to 86*F. Went from 105/80 to 89/86..and the latter felt worse than the former.

• Like 1

Ah, yes I remember 2011. That was the torrid summer where DCA recorded a 121*F heat index.

During that heatwave, a small storm popped up overhead and ended up spiking the dewpoint to 86*F. Went from 105/80 to 89/86..and the latter felt worse than the former.

In Houston we got very little rain that Summer. The same river which flooded the entire city I grew up in during Harvey was almost completely dried out after that Summer. We were in the D5 category until October I believe. That was bad not only because of water restrictions, forest & brush fires, etc., but also because dried up dirt managed to get into the underground transformers and cause very frequent power outages. A power outage during record heat is no fun. 

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

2011 and 2012 can both go to whatever dark abyss they came from where I'm at.

One, the hottest summer anywhere in us history and the other was the hottest June in Oklahoma history.

Central/western OK doesn't maintain the humidity, as was stated above. Silty red/arid soils don't cause the persistence in humidity of something like massive corn crops or the hardwood forest/watershed area in the eastern part of the state.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like a hot but fun weather place. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like a hot but fun weather place.

This is accurate.

Unrelated to weather, but great football, softball, baseball, basketball and music in the summer aren't far away from there most seasons nowadays either, if you know where to look.

• Like 1