June 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

I am really bowled over at these low temps up north. Really gob smacked.

At 88*, currently. We are forecast for ~ .50" Wednesday. We'll see.

But will the Northern Plains see a summer ?

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

I drove down to KC last night from Omaha and the situation along the Missouri River flood plain is very dire. Seriously it looks like it’s 2011 all over again. This situation is so bad for those affected, and it really is causing some major detour pains for all of us commuters... even though this issue isn’t comparable to those that have had their homes and property underwater twice in three months.

It might be time for FEMA to clear the immediate river floodplain in certain spots and for IDOT (Iowa Dept of Transportation) to consider raising Interstate 29 in the future.

Did you take 29? Maps are saying impassable still. Also I was thinking along those lines with 29.

It's great to be back in the swing of things, although, I'd like a little more sunshine and warmer weather and that looks to finally take place here later on today.  Temps are expected to top out near 80F with sunshine and a nice SW breeze. Should feel real nice after the past 24-36 hours of chilly weather since I touched down at ORD Sun night.

Are you guys enjoying the calmer weather pattern?  I'm glad that a lot of the MW/Plains states are drying out a bit during the opening week of June.  How long will this last???  Blocking this weekend is looking stronger around the GL's/MW region and this will allow the GOM tropical system to track farther south across the OV/App's region and at least provide Chicago with one good day on Saturday.  The Euro has been consistently keeping the rain away on Saturday and moreso towards downstate IL and the GFS is now beginning to cave that way.  I feel bad for those farmers in IL/IN who are probably not going to plant this year as fields I hear are like swamps.

That Greenland Block looks strong heading into next week...

gfs-ens_mslpaNormMean_namer_6.png

• Like 2

I picked up 0.19" of rain overnight, our first rain since May 29th.  It's possible we won't get any additional rain the rest of the week.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Southern Plains heading to 90* today and plenty of sun before we see scattered showers on Wednesday and Thursday.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Currently sunny and temps rather coolish. Started off in the low 40s, but rebounding into the upper 50s rather nicely.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

I thought I posted my overnight rainfall amount on this thread this morning, but I don’t see it here for some reason. Anyway, I ended up with 0.82” of rainfall and way more than I expected. Had several downpours with some minor lightning and thunder. Looks like up to around 1” a few miles south of here.

I got 0.14" of rain last night. SPC has us in a slight risk of severe weather for today/tonight, and the sun has been out but it's filtered sunshine. We have warmed up to 76 so far today. 

It would be very nice if we could get a strong storm here later today. HRRR does not look very promising, but we will see how things evolve here later today. 

Couple cells just popped up in my area over last few mins. See how strong they get.

Just stepped out at work and can hear thunder rumbling in the distance. Always love that.

That does look like a really nice strong storm near Waverly. Radar estimates suggest that it has produced 1.5 inches of rain in the past hour, and it's still raining there.

• Like 1

That does look like a really nice strong storm near Waverly. Radar estimates suggest that it has produced 1.5 inches of rain in the past hour, and it's still raining there.

Yeah it has a special weather statement for half inch hail. Surprised it isnt warned yet.

I got 0.14" of rain last night. SPC has us in a slight risk of severe weather for today/tonight, and the sun has been out but it's filtered sunshine. We have warmed up to 76 so far today. 

It would be very nice if we could get a strong storm here later today. HRRR does not look very promising, but we will see how things evolve here later today. 

HRRR didn't show much for me yesterday, and I ended up with over an inch of rain this morning. I always look at that model, but it's had plenty of misses lately, especially with this more scattered stuff.

Not saying it won't be right, but you never know.

• Like 1

Did you take 29? Maps are saying impassable still. Also I was thinking along those lines with 29.

I took I-29 to Highway 34 (Glenwood), then used Highway 59 in Southwest Iowa to get down south to Craig, MO where I caught I-29 back south towards St Joseph.

Areas around Glenwood and Craig were absolutely inundated with water. I would be shocked if 59 stays open at Craig, water was already almost over the road and the river continues to rise.

• Like 1

Overnight rains have prompted localized Flood Advisories as training storms targeted the area.  Some spots have received 1.5-3" of rain!  Sheesh, you guys weren't kidding that when the rains come, they certainly deliver a ton of moisture.  Everything is so damp outside and the sun is trying to peak out.  I woke up to some loud lightning strikes and heavy downpours while my window was cracked open.  We had such a nice SW breeze last night that I literally fell asleep so quickly!

Meantime, the first half of the weekend is trending much better around here and looking forward to 3 straight days of HP centered over the GL's region.

D8SZh5pWwAA6L0q.jpg

@StPaul, how did you fair last night???  Did you get your storm fix?  Looked like you had some good action around your place.

• Like 1

Impressive signal for a strongly deep -NAO will undoubtedly promote near record cool temps across the central CONUS next week.  Both EPS/GEFS are on board illustrating some very chilly air mid/late next week.

ecmwf-ens_mslpaNorm_namer_10.png

00z EPS Week 2 forecast is no bargain either...June Gloom and extremely low CDD's continue through the extended while we all get to $ave Ca$h on our electric bills....$$$$

• Like 1

A gorgeous day in North Texas after a light morning shower.

74*. With a high of 84*. Scattered showers.

IMG_3747.PNG

• Like 7

attachicon.gifIMG_3747.PNG

Now that's a beautiful pic right there Andie...lush, green scenery and the smell of fresh cut grass....while sippin' on some morning coffee!

• Like 3

@StPaul, how did you fair last night???  Did you get your storm fix?  Looked like you had some good action around your place.

Yeah last night was good. Nothing severe at my place but there were reports of 80mph winds, hail, and a rotation south of me. Storms kept firing up over the same area so it was fun between 4-8pm. Although I discovered that my 2.5 year old son is NOT a fan of thunder, so that sucks. Won’t stop me from rooting for storms this summer though!

• Like 3

I was awaken twice during the night from the boomers! Picked up 0.60". I saw a couple counties SW of Dubuque were in flash flood warnings. Schnack said on the newscast last night it would be dry south of highway 20. He was definitely wrong as radar was showing quite a bit of storm action across most of E IA.

I was awaken twice during the night from the boomers! Picked up 0.60". I saw a couple counties SW of Dubuque were in flash flood warnings. Schnack said on the newscast last night it would be dry south of highway 20. He was definitely wrong as radar was showing quite a bit of storm action across most of E IA.

Yeah, some nice storms developed just south / along parts of HWY a little after midnight. Heavy rain and slow moving, so I think some areas really got hit hard. 

Some severe weather is possible today IMBY w damaging winds and large hail being the main concern w these storms. It will be humid and much warmer w temps in the low 80s.

April 2024:

attachicon.gifIMG_3747.PNG

Nice!

• Like 1

April 2024:

I’ll post some pics of the storm once I have time. I’m guessing the wind was 50 to 60+ mph, but my anemometer didn’t show high enough for some reason. The anemometer that’s only 5’ high showed a bit higher wind than the one that’s 38’ up. First time it did that.

The storm appeared to be at max intensity in eastern Iowa county just before it got here.

• Like 3

Per Ryan Maue's tweet, the Euro is showing a nice dry signal for the northern half of the ag belt region.  I'm afraid our members farther south are going to be beating the ol' drum with torrential rains as these CF's keep sliding in from the north and likely stalling out.

D8TvZugUcAAGfBB.png

• Like 2