June 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Forecast high of 85° today is highest temperature I have until maybe the last day of the 00z GFS run. I'm pretty impressed by that.

Days over 85°F here in 2019: 2; One at 85° and one day at 87°.

Models also not being shy about trending back to the wetter pattern in the later periods. This is pretty likely and works well with the existing pattern.

Highs in the upper 70's and sunshine throughout this week in your state is about as good as it can get.  Boy, this may be the best stretch of weather in your area for what seems weeks on end!

• Like 1

1.5”” of rain here overnight with quite a bit of damage to trees. 54 degrees with a north wind blowing to 30 mph. Hello October

Wow, it was very quiet around Omaha as we got barely a few leftover sprinkles late last night and early this morning from the storms you all got out west.

Nice to wake up this morning to a refreshing northwest breeze, and temps around 60.

• Like 1

Wow, it was very quiet around Omaha as we got barely a few leftover sprinkles late last night and early this morning from the storms you all got out west.

Nice to wake up this morning to a refreshing northwest breeze, and temps around 60.

In the western part of my county, Phelps, there are estimates of 3-4” of rain with some gravel roads washed out. It was a very scary storm with wind gusts over 70 MPH in places and a strange green color to the sky. Fortunately we had just a few limbs down here, but some bigger trees around town were blown over. Sad.

• Like 1

The late January historic Polar Vortex intrusion has left it's mark even months later...https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/naperville-sun/ct-nvs-winter-effect-on-plants-st-0609-story.html

Edit:  BTW, I've noticed more small cracks in my ceiling around the house after last year's Winter.  That was some of the coldest days/nights I've ever experienced.  I'm already preparing for a Jan 2020 version bc I sense its coming Bigly next cold season.

• Like 4

The late January historic Polar Vortex intrusion has left it's mark even months later...https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/naperville-sun/ct-nvs-winter-effect-on-plants-st-0609-story.html

Edit: BTW, I've noticed more small cracks in my ceiling around the house after last year's Winter. That was some of the coldest

days/nights I've ever experienced. I'm already preparing for a Jan 2020 version bc I sense its coming Bigly next cold season.

I also have a few new hairline cracks in my ceiling. I noticed them right after the vortex. Then when the weather warmed up they closed back up almost completely. Only noticeable to me since I know where the cracks are. The vortex definitely left its mark. And it could have left a bigger mark. My pest control guy said if the vortex had lasted another 2-3 days it would have eradicated the emerald ash borer, which is still causing havoc in areas.
  • Like 3

Edit: BTW, I've noticed more small cracks in my ceiling around the house after last year's Winter. That was some of the coldest days/nights I've ever experienced. I'm already preparing for a Jan 2020 version bc I sense its coming Bigly next cold season.

So, Tom, what has your preliminary research revealed in terms of both Northern and Southern Winter possibilities ?

That had to have been some awesome cold, to shift a house like that !

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

We're in a warm pattern for now.

High of 93* expected

Low 68*.

80% chance of thunderstorms tonight with perhaps .25" rain.

We can upset he sun and heat right now. I'm interested in the return possibilities of rain......opinions?

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Highs in the upper 70's and sunshine throughout this week in your state is about as good as it can get. Boy, this may be the best stretch of weather in your area for what seems weeks on end!

Yessir. It's much needed. The next 5 days of lighter rain chances and much below average is a heck of a way to start it off. What a summer. I'm kinda like Goldilocks again this year. I'll take it.

• Like 1

So, Tom, what has your preliminary research revealed in terms of both Northern and Southern Winter possibilities ?

That had to have been some awesome cold, to shift a house like that !

At this point, I'm not going to specify on any details just yet but a cold winter is lurking for the central CONUS.  Not sure how the pattern in the south may take shape just yet but if the blocking is going to be strong, this may be the one that finally shows up down south after several years of being let off lightly.

• Like 2

Cloudy all day, but no rain w temps in the 70s. Rather muggy outside. Rain developing tanite and lasting into the morning commute hrs. Afternoon looks rather wet.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Full sunshine today and we only managed to get to 66 degrees. No forecasted high above the mid 70’s for the next 10 days with several only to get into the upper 60’s. Have not had to turn on my sprinklers one time this year and have had the windows open more times than I can ever remember through the 9th of June.

Boy, it's quite different now than it was this afternoon.  We've gone from 86/68 (T/Td) with no wind to 66/50 with a strong breeze.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

At this point, I'm not going to specify on any details just yet but a cold winter is lurking for the central CONUS.  Not sure how the pattern in the south may take shape just yet but if the blocking is going to be strong, this may be the one that finally shows up down south after several years of being let off lightly.

Your southern central US call may be on the mark. With a solar Minimum on hand we may see a good deal of wet, cold, and freezing type precip.

Today was different. While we reached the upper 80's, the front and rain suddenly left us cool and with lower humidity. Just crazy for this time of year. I think I'm going to be glad I bought that good Patagonia coat. The wind is just as dificult to cope with as the cold.

• Like 1

Got down to a refreshing 55 last night, felt amazing to sleep with the windows open on a cool June night in the Midwest.

The weather this week looks fairly quiet with the pleasant temperatures continuing... love it!

Looks like the weather may stay fantastic through the opening weekend of the College World Series here in Omaha... which rarely happens. Can’t wait until Thursday night - MLB game between the Tigers vs Royals in Omaha, CWS opening ceremonies and concert on Friday, and the first CWS games on Saturday - fun week ahead here if you love the game of baseball!

• Like 2

So far the month of June is running at -0.5° and looking at the next 7 days it sure looks very cool for mid June. The average H/L is now in the upper 70’s with the average low in the mid to upper 58’s we look to be 8 to 10 degrees below average for highs thru this week and there is no real “heat” in the long range. So there is a good chance that June will be the 6th month in a row of below average temperatures here in Grand Rapids. Here at my house I recorded 1.01” of rain fall yesterday.

Slim

• Like 1

Got down to a refreshing 55 last night, felt amazing to sleep with the windows open on a cool June night in the Midwest.

The weather this week looks fairly quiet with the pleasant temperatures continuing... love it!

Looks like the weather may stay fantastic through the opening weekend of the College World Series here in Omaha... which rarely happens. Can’t wait until Thursday night - MLB game between the Tigers vs Royals in Omaha, CWS opening ceremonies and concert on Friday, and the first CWS games on Saturday - fun week ahead here if you love the game of baseball!

I'm going to the Tigers vs. Royals game Thursday! Looks like perfect weather for it.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Currently a muggy 66F w wet conditions. As the CF passes on by today, skies will clear up by late pm w ample sunshine returning and cooler temps. Lows tanite under crystal clear skies, will bottom out into the chilly 40s. Abundant sunshine for Tuesday w very pleasant temps. Highs expected in the upper 60s to near 70F.

@Jaster

Looks like you received the moisture yesterday as all of this rain bypass me to my west and right into your neck of the woods. Ironically, it was coming from the SE direction.

• Like 1

Have to say I am loving our weather so far in May and June. Some warm days but many cool days and nights with plenty of rain. Pattern doesn’t look to change much during the rest of June and possibly into July. I have talked to farmers that say we are going to need hot weather at some point to get the crops going. Living here my whole life you just know that the heat will come, but how long and intense will it be is the question at hand.

• Like 2

We are watering again in KC! Going on 14 days with no rain and some parts of the city going on 3 weeks without a good rainfall.

We are now fully watering all of our properties we service, this is after a very wet May. The LRC based forecast was for a very wet open to June with flooding to continue. The total opposite has happened.

I think KC is actually above average on temps for the spring(March 21st to current)

• Like 1

Gorgeous evening outside. Was out this evening at a late dinner reservation and when I walked outside, it was mighty chilly. Temps are currently at 55F w crystal clear skies. Lows tanite will fall in the 40s. Dang, that's a chilly airmass for this time of the year.

Btw: An earthquake occurred today near MI.

https://www.mlive.com/weather/2019/06/earthquake-centered-in-lake-erie-just-off-ohio-shoreline.html

• Like 1

Good morning from Chicago!  What a gorgeous morning and sunrise.  Calm winds, clear skies, 57F temp and very comfy DP (46F)...reminds me of Sept weather in early Summer.  Heading towards 80F today and likely the pic day of the week.  Still need to finish some more minor yard work today.  #TerrificTuesday

It's been a drier pattern for most of the northern Sub (except for some spotty areas near the GL's and NE) since the opening of June and my anticipation for a more robust and active pattern heading into the second half of the month is gearing up.  Some of the highlight systems in the LRC's previous cycles are lining up and with an unusually strong PAC jet and suppressed jet stream into the lower 48, the return of the SW Flow is showing up on the models just before the start of the Summer Solstice.

MonthPDeptUS.png

Both the 00z GEFS/EPS suggesting the return of the active SW Flow pattern that has been so common in this year's LRC around the 19th/20th.  I'm expecting the models to trend wetter going forward.

gfs-ens_uv250_namer_33.png

• Like 1

Forecast high of 84* likely only a memory.

Currently 79* with T Storms to the west on their way.

• Like 1

Boy, this is a sweet looking SW Flow pattern with high lat blocking.  Crazy to think that the early May pattern will be cycling through and it may in fact be a carbon copy result!  I guess I may get a taste of what I missed while I was in AZ during the entire month of May.  Even tho climo suggests Severe Wx season calms down in June, it may kick back into over drive.

ecmwf_z500aMean_namer_6.png

• Like 2

Well, temps dropped this afternoon to 73*  calm, overcast.

the rain is down in Texas Hill Country this afternoon.  The possibility of rain fell apart.  

Seems very difficult to predict the weather lately down here, and considering it's summer, - that's odd.

We got squat for rain overnight.  It'd be nice if we could get at least a tenth of an inch later to top off the rain barrel, but it should be pretty widely scattered.

I'm craving a good thunderstorm.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"