June 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

Long wait for trailer spots to open up... have to sit here. Wish we had a lake house!

20190630-151330.jpg

It helps a lot!! Even better when you or your neighbors (like at our place) has a launch!

I got the jetski fueled up and a new battery purchased...taking it to the lake on Wednesday for the summer...finally!

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Rumbles of thunder in the distance and saw a few flashes of lightning this evening in La Pine.

Life on the Deschutes is good

Been staying in Sun River the past 3 days and have been enjoying some amazing thunderstorms every evening. It’s been awesome! Looks like more thunderstorms earlier in the day tomorrow.

The wild swings on the gfs are making me doubt the upgrade.

Not just the GFS, the Euro has been terrible past day 5 as well. It keeps showing heat in the 7-10 day range only to push it back on the next run (not that I'm complaining). No idea if the upgrades have anything to do with it though, could just be a difficult pattern for the models to handle.

I'm speaking for our area of course, the models might be doing a good job over other parts of the planet.

• Like 1

The 00z GEM still looks good. Have to wait for the UKMET and EURO now.

Not feeling it now... GFS can't be that lost at 4 days out. 

I am guessing the EURO will probably change as well with the new data.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Most of Oregon isn't in a drought and we're in much better shape than last year at this time.

20190625_OR_text.jpg

you guys are doing better than us here in western WA!

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Not feeling it now... GFS can't be that lost at 4 days out.

I am guessing the EURO will probably change as well with the new data.

Here's a comparison of the 00z GFS and UKMET for the 4th. Looks like the GFS is too aggressive with bringing the trough down from Canada.

gfs_z500_mslp_namer_17.png

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/ukmet_amer_00/GZ_D5_PN_096_0000.gif

Not just the GFS, the Euro has been terrible past day 5 as well. It keeps showing heat in the 7-10 day range only to push it back on the next run (not that I'm complaining). No idea if the upgrades have anything to do with it though, could just be a difficult pattern for the models to handle.

I'm speaking for our area of course, the models might be doing a good job over other parts of the planet.

I’ve been noticing the same thing with the Euro. There always seems to be heat at the end of the run lately, that inevitably gets pushed back. I remember when this coming week and the 4th were looking pretty toasty.

Jesse with a quick 9-0 run after hitting back to back threes and getting hacked in the act driving the paint. 92-81 with 5:31 left in the fourth. Time out Tim!

Not looking good!

Of course all I was hoping for was pleasant and sunny... not an inferno.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I think the models have been doing OK with the general pattern... we are just in no man's land where small differences at the 500mb level make a huge difference in tangible weather.

I’ve been noticing the same thing with the Euro. There always seems to be heat at the end of the run lately, that inevitably gets pushed back. I remember when this coming week and the 4th were looking pretty toasty.

The EPS has a demonstrable bias towards WPAC convection in the long range (or at least the previous version did), which could explain some of the wavetrain behavior.

As for the new GFS, I have no clue. Some of the model physics and the initialization/gridding schemes are very different. It doesn’t seem to have the same biases the old version had, though.

Yeah, looks like your area is in a severe drought. Hoping you get some rain over the next few days.

Chris is under severe drought too. I wonder if any of the trees are still alive there. He has been baking in the 60s with frequent showers and drizzle. I bet his area is a barren wasteland now.

00Z GFS just took a crap on the 4th. Only 4 days away and still changing so much.

:huh:

The 00z GFS looks better than the 18z (colder with more moisture).

:huh:

The 00z GFS looks better than the 18z (IE: colder).

That is strange... seems like 72-75 and sunny would be better than clouds and gloomy weather all day which even you said would be depressing.

Its not like it was showing 100-degree swamp conditions. Because I assure you that if I lived in DC... I would be a huge summer trough fan just like you!

so it doesn’t only happen with cold and snow in the winter?!

June this year was not quite record territory but nonetheless was above average by some degree.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

00Z ECMWF still shows 77 in Seattle on the 4th and then 76 on Friday.   It has been between 75-77 in Seattle that day for numerous consecutive runs now.

It showed 75 for today in Seattle on the 12Z run this morning and it got into the low 80s in many places.