July 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Next week features highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s. Now, that is refreshing y'all.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Welcome to the eastern part of our Sub Forum!  Think about it this way, "Cutter Season" is just around the corner....I feel a big year is on the way....

This move does open the door a bit wider for bigger snows. I don't have to just rely on CO lows for big totals anymore. While CO lows still work well for here, gulf lows, a strong clipper, and some lake enhancement will definitely be big factors here.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

The rain this morning is definitely exceeding my expectations based on how I thought the radar looked early this morning. Haven’t checked my rain gauge yet, but my parents have 0.66” with some rain still to come through.

Their gauge now has 1.40", and it looks like we should continue to get a little more rain this morning. Wonder if this will limit out ability to hit the predicted high of 94 today.

It's too bad the broken line back through Iowa to southeast Nebraska could not have blown up and sank through the entire region.  The more significant forcing begins just north and east of CR.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

It is absolutely pouring here. Wish I didn't have to get up so early, it was so dark in my room and the thunder made me wanna call in and cuddle up under my sheets so bad! We needed this so bad, I haven't seen it rain like this for awhile, it's really refreshing!

• Like 2

It is absolutely pouring here. Wish I didn't have to get up so early, it was so dark in my room and the thunder made me wanna call in and cuddle up under my sheets so bad! We needed this so bad, I haven't seen it rain like this for awhile, it's really refreshing!

I was just going to say the same thing! Haha, it’s been relentlessly pouring and local 2-3” rainfall totals prompted a Flood Advisory. After I eat my late breakfast (16 hr fast), might have to take a power napski. Working from home today.

• Like 1

Excessive Heat Warning

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGENational Weather Service Detroit/Pontiac MI342 PM EDT Thu Jul 18 2019MIZ060>063-068>070-075-076-082-083-190900-/O.CON.KDTX.EH.W.0001.000000T0000Z-190721T0000Z/Shiawassee-Genesee-Lapeer-St. Clair-Livingston-Oakland-Macomb-Washtenaw-Wayne-Lenawee-Monroe-Including the cities of Owosso, Flint, Lapeer, Port Huron,Howell, Pontiac, Warren, Ann Arbor, Detroit, Adrian, and Monroe342 PM EDT Thu Jul 18 2019...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDTSATURDAY...HAZARDOUS WEATHER... * High temperatures are expected to reach into the mid 90s   tomorrow, and into the mid to upper 90s on Saturday. Increasing   humidity will yield heat indices peaking during the afternoon   hours in the 100 to 110 degree range. * Low temperatures will only fall into the mid to upper 70s each   night limiting the possible relief from the heat.IMPACTS... * The hot and humid air will lead to potentially hazardous   conditions, particularly for the elderly and those with pre-   existing health conditions.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...Take extra precautions...if you work or spend time outside. Whenpossible...reschedule strenuous activities to early morning orevening. Know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heatstroke. Wear light weight and loose fitting clothing whenpossible and drink plenty of water.  To reduce risk during outdoor work...the occupational safetyand health administration recommends scheduling frequent restbreaks in shaded or air conditioned environments. Anyone overcomeby heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location.   Heatstroke is an emergency...call 9 1 1.  An Excessive Heat Warning means that a prolonged period ofdangerously hot temperatures will occur. The combination of hottemperatures and high humidity will combine to create a dangeroussituation in which heat illnesses are likely. Drink plenty offluids...stay in an air-conditioned room...stay out of the sun...and check up on relatives and neighbors.  Young children and pets should never be left unattended invehicles under any circumstances.  This is especially true duringwarm or hot weather when car interiors can reach lethaltemperatures in a matter of minutes. * Prepare, plan and stay informed. Visit   www.weather.gov/safety/heat&&$$
Air Quality Alert
MIZ063-069-070-075-076-082-083-200200-St. Clair-Oakland-Macomb-Washtenaw-Wayne-Lenawee-Monroe-Including the cities of Port Huron, Pontiac, Warren, Ann Arbor,Detroit, Adrian, and Monroe245 PM EDT Thu Jul 18 2019...Air Quality Alert in effect for Friday July 19th...The Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy hasdeclared Friday July 19th to be an action day for elevated levels ofozone. Pollutants are expected to be in the unhealthy for sensitivegroups range.The action day is in effect for the following Michigan counties...St. Clair...Oakland...Macomb...Washtenaw...Wayne...Lenawee andMonroe.People and businesses are urged to avoid activities which lead toozone formation. These activities include...refueling vehicles ortopping off when refueling, using gasoline powered lawn equipmentand using charcoal lighter fluid. Positive activities include...carpooling, biking to work, delaying or combining errands and usingwater based paints.It is recommended that active children and adults, and people withrespiratory diseases such as asthma, limit prolonged outdoorexertion.

Its a humid, warm day w temps at 84F, HI is at 93F, DP is 71F so, its quite humid out there. Heatwave really gets cranking tomorrow.

I had a maximum dew of 80° around 2:20pm on my station for the first time this year. Had 79° once or twice before today. Current dew back down to 76° as the ‘dome’ settles in. High temp was 94° and the max heat index was 113°. I’ve seen worse quite often. In fact the brisk, but hot wind makes it much more tolerable. ☺️ I have max dews in the low 80°s usually about twice a year.

• Like 3

Friend of mine in nyc told me today that severe weather yesterday ova there cause some major damage. Boroughs throughout the city were hit hard by these t'stms, (damaging winds dangerous lightning and large hail)

• Like 1

Its a gorgeous , late afternoon w plentiful sunshine w temps at 85F, but humid. DP is at 74F.

I had a maximum dew of 80° around 2:20pm on my station for the first time this year. Had 79° once or twice before today. Current dew back down to 76° as the ‘dome’ settles in. High temp was 94° and the max heat index was 113°. I’ve seen worse quite often. In fact the brisk, but hot wind makes it much more tolerable. ☺️ I have max dews in the low 80°s usually about twice a year.

The max DP I have felt was 81F. That was plain disgusting. A decade ago back in nyc. That was one sultry day. Highs were in the mid to upper 100s. HI was 115F. A blackout was happening at that time as well. I remember eating outside my yard and sleeping w 5fans around me. That was absolutely insane.

• Like 2

My pranks weather gauge tells me the high today got up to 88 degrees, with a heat index of 105. Not 100% sure I buy that heat index, but I guess the one at my house did show 104 for a heat index.

Also, the rain total from this morning in my rain gauge was 2.36”.

• Like 2

This is how badly I got screwed rainfall wise so far this month. I live in that circled gray spot on that map below.

And that graph shows how Iowa City was torching so far in July.

5-CAEA90-F-02-BD-4-E57-8571-7-C1-B963749

CC2-D3818-40-A2-46-E0-A4-A5-E2-A39-FACF9

Edit: It seems like Iowa City’s thermometer is a bit off or has a warm bias. Most times it’s 1°- 2° warmer than nearby (and also mine) station’s temps.

• Like 4

It is difficult to describe how miserable it is at 9:30 at night with the sun already set. It is 88 degrees with a heat index of 100 and dew of 78. No wind and a haze hanging in the air. Hard to believe in a couple of days we may not get out of the 70’s.

On a Taco Bell run. AC on full blast at almost 11:30 pm. Definitely the most miserable day of the year so far. Oh and it’s also my bday LOL.

• Like 3

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Looks like today could be an interesting one. More than one model giving off that "loaded gun" vibe. SPC playing along with the idea. Insane MLCAPE (6000+) in southern MN with around 4000 in the central parts. Plenty of shear and a warm front and cold front in the vincinity. Curious to see what evolves.

• Like 1

Happy Friday!  It is THE warmest and muggiest morning of the season 81F/77F...I was awaken once by the A/C cranking last night as my room usually gets rather chilly and comfy. Had to snuggle under the covers at one point.  Boy, what a dense airmass!  I just stepped outside and it's almost hard to breathe in with this extremely humid air.  Crazy.  You don't often get this humid around these parts and I'm sure the wet soils from all the recent heavy rains is aiding in the humidity.  I'm wondering if that will help from temps getting too out of control and hitting the "century" mark.

Once we break out of this "heat wave" later this weekend, who's ready for a long stretch of comfortable weather next week? The long awaited cool down is around the corner and it will likely last into the early part of August.  Many places across our Sub will enjoy low's in the 50's and a few days in the 70's.  Time to crack open the windows and let in some of that cool, crisp, Canadian air....speaking of Canadian Air, I commented about the Summer Vortex strengthening over the Pole and the fascinating thing about this is where our air will be coming from over the next 1-2 weeks.  

Check out this animation off the 12z Euro Op how lobes of the "Vortex" will come directly off the North Pole and track right across the Hudson Bay.  Mind you, this is directly related to the part of the LRC which show cased the Hudson Bay Vortex.   I believe the strongest "cold" shot comes late in the month and this air mass will be coming straight off the North Pole right as the Pole cools off from the result of a strong Vortex placed over this part of the world.  So long we don't see any tropical influence, the tail end of the month should produce some chilly July nights across the northern half of our Sub.  Quite a fascinating set up to see in the middle of Summer.

• Like 4

Just got back home from my walk. It is a very warm and humid morning. If you have not been way down south in the summer time get out side and feel the humidity in the air it is very close to what it feels like in Florida in the morning the one big difference is that it is very cloudy here at this time.  The overnight low here at my house was just 77 the current temperature both here at my house and out at the airport is 80 and the DP is at 76 it is very cloudy at this time with showers to the west.