July 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Yet another rain event was a bit of a dud for the CR/IC area.  I picked up 0.21".  Dubuque was one of the big winners with 1+".

Yesterday, parts of my area, south of me (just a couple of miles south) picked up ova an inch, while I picked up less than a .25" ...... crazy and disappointing!

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Looks like we may finish our July by breaking our streak of no 100* days, either today or tomorrow.

A cloudless, almost white sky, really intense after this cooler summer.

DP 72*. Miserable.

Bring on that early Fall!

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Despite the heat, we did have a knockout sunrise today. 

sunrise.jpg

• Like 5

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

What a refreshing Wednesday morning (61F/57F), gorgeous sunrise, calm winds, clear skies and a perfect start to the day!  It actually feels a little chilly in the house with the windows open.  I see there are pockets of upper 30's across N WI and the U.P.  Good ol' neighbors from up north deliver up some very dry, crisp, cool, Canadian air...

Did our OMA peeps score some rains last night??  Looks like the KC region is getting some scattered showers/storms and getting close to Clint's backyard.  The atmosphere will ramp up later tonight for both areas as an uncommon pattern sets up.  I'm not quite sure if I've ever witnessed a N/S "Ring of Fire" pattern as such.  Nonetheless, the heavens are poised to open up and deliver a lot of precip in the areas that need it pretty bad.

nam3km_apcpn_ncus_20.png

gfs_apcpn_ncus_12.png

Our July without a 100* day was blown out of the water on this last day of he month! :angry:

101*

DP 65*

Humidity  32%

• Like 1

I'm pretty happy to be seeing July off tonight. Couldn't have asked for a better one. Had a great mix of everything. Abnormal cool, extra rain, extra humidity, a few cool clear and dry days, a good week of sunny fair weather. Purely beautiful here. One of those summer months I'll remember for the rest of my life.

But, bye bye July. :)

Tom's post sums it up pretty well. One for the ages.

• Like 1

The wild weather extremes of the Midwest region this year is off the charts in terms of the "feels like" temp thus far this year. Interesting article if you a few minutes to read it: https://weather.com/safety/heat/news/2019-07-29-difference-between-lowest-wind-chill-highest-heat-index-united-states

I was about to post that! Local met posted it on FB. E IA right in the middle!
  • Like 1

Ended July 1.9 degrees above normal, this was after a June that was 2.3 degrees above normal. For all the talk of a "summer without summer", that never happened here. We've had the normal number of 90+ degree days this summer and several excessive heat advisories and warnings. We've had worse summers before for sure, but no signs around here of "no summer."

One oddity we did have here in Omaha, was we were never under a tornado watch this spring and summer so far. I suppose we could get one yet if we get a second season of severe weather. It's been wet and stormy but very little actual severe weather here in eastern Nebraska. It's dried out a bit locally as well lately and we missed all the heavy rain that was forecast for this week, getting only about .20" of rain. I did get a small stationary cell pop up over my house on the 4th of July that dumped 2.45" of rain in 45 minutes though.

• Like 1

True. The summer without summer, so far was pretty much limited to me. Lol. I've had a good taste of it for 2 weeks now, but that'll be short lived.

You have to acknowledge that June and a better part of late spring were destructively cold and wet though. Summer is an average of three months. July is July.

We should be thankful July was warmer up there or our farmers would all be screwed.

August is 1 day old.... stay tuned.

Ended July 1.9 degrees above normal, this was after a June that was 2.3 degrees above normal. For all the talk of a "summer without summer", that never happened here. We've had the normal number of 90+ degree days this summer and several excessive heat advisories and warnings. We've had worse summers before for sure, but no signs around here of "no summer."

One interesting thing in Lincoln is we've have no 100 degree days so far. If this continues it'll be the first time since 1998, though there's still much more summer to go. Despite that fact, this hasn't been a mild summer by any means. There's been multiple stretches with temperatures in the upper 90s and high humidity. Many summers (like 2004, 2009, 2014) are cool and pleasant overall but have the random 100 degree day. This isn't one of those summers. 

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

• 2 weeks later...