April 2023 Observations and Disussion

Tom

The official H/L yesterday at Grand Rapids was 52/43 there was 0.50” of rain fall. GR had just 11 minutes  of sunshine. Overnight the temperatures rose from a low of 46 here in MBY to the current reading of 59 with cloudy skies. For today the average H/L is 53/33 the record high of 81 was set in 1988 and the record low of 12 was set in 1995. The record snow fall of 8.6” fell in 1952. Last year it was 56/36.

Officially Grand Rapids now has reached Its 1st 60 day with a current reading of 65 here in MNY it is now cloudy and 59. We are in an enhanced area for thunderstorms today. There is a line of storms off to the west and that looks to be where the severe storms would come from.

Big change today.  
Currently 64* at 7am
Humidity 34%….wow. 
Enjoy it while I can.  However, we do need the rain. 

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Is this Winter's last Hoorah here in AZ?  Flagstaff has dipped down to a bone chilling +7F this morning and where I'm at its a very nippy 39F.  Yup, the Furnace is STILL being used as I write.  I'm very much looking forward to the 90's, although, I won't be acclimated to the quick reversal towards early summer Heat.  We are looking at a string of 90's from Easter till Wed out here and that means we will have the A/C running for the 1st time this season.

• Like 3

I remember vividly wayy back in mid or late OCT of last year when I picked up my parents from the airport I had the A/C on and temps in the 90's.  The following day, I had the Furnace turned on as a powerful CF swept through and the pattern literally flipped on a dime.  Since then, it's been one heckova cold season and residents/visitors of this state (AZ) are ready for consistent warmer weather. 

Having said that, I'm always looking forward in time and I see another tremendous Monsoon season on the agenda for the SW and InterMountain West.  The lakes and reservoirs are not likely to take a dip this year and there are + signs that it'll lead towards more drought busting rains.  Mother Nature is in full control and She appears to be delivering the goods more often than not over the course of this year.  Is yet another banner start to the Cold season on tap???  I strongly believe so....#STJ...Have a wonderful Wednesday!  #HumpDay

• Like 1

I received 0.33" total yesterday and overnight.  The grass is greening up.  The trees, shrubs, and lawns will really take off over the next ten days.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Not a drop of rain around here.  The amount of times that we have been dry slotted is amazing over the years.  Everything is still brown/dormant, no leaves or anything budding out.  Cold temps and wind haven't helped our situation.  Nowhere near as bone dry as last Spring, but many aren't doing that much better unfortunately.  

• Sad 1

Looks quiet for a while for Tulsa. Next legit chance of severe weather is probably 7-10 days out. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

63 and 27% humidity.  
Gotta love this. 🙌

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

We’re crossing our fingers in Texas.  
We’re heavy on hope and clouds. 
Jip’d on rain! 

Chilly morning.  57*.  Cloudy
Low chance of rain in North Tx. Better in the south.  

Yesterday was the warmest day of the year so far with the official H/L of 71/39. There was 1.23” of rain fall and just 4% of possible sunshine. The highest wind gust was 57MPH. The overnight low here in MBY so far is 33. For today the average H/L is 54/34 the record high of 81 was set in 1921 and 1991 the record low of 18 was set in 1943 and 2003. The record snow fall is 3.5” Last year the H/L was 54/42 and there was 0.69” of rain fall.

So far this year is the wettest year on record for Grand Rapids for the period of January 1 to April 5th So far 14.19” of precipitation has fallen that is +6.58” above the average up to this date. There were some storm reports around west Michigan yesterday but here in MBY it was nothing special just a few flashes of lightning and a crack of thunder.

After a cool and windy day and a cool day tomorrow the next week looks to be rather mild and very spring like. We could see highs back into the 70’s by late next week. With all of the rain fall that will get the grass growing so it will soon be lawn cutting time.

• Like 4

Headed for 51 tonight. Downright chilly.  
74 for a High Easter. Should be gorgeous. 

• Like 1

Not encouraging.  

79F9BEE5-215C-4775-B203-C0FA14E99217.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

The official H/L yesterday at GRR was 45/34 there was no rain fall. The overnight low at GRR was 31 here in MBY the low was a colder 25 at the current time it is 26 here in MBY. For today the average H/L is 54/34 the record high of 81 was set in 1991 and the record low of 3 was set in 1982 the most snow fall of 5” fell in 1956 and that was after the big tornado that year.

After a cold start this morning the next week looks to be mostly sunny with a warm up and it could become much above average by late next week. So some warm spring weather is on its way.

It’s really tough out there. 

EB23CB25-1927-4A52-83DC-E0D4BABD63DC.jpeg

• Like 1

It was a beautiful day here yesterday as PHX topped out at 79F which is -5F BN, but that is likely that last BN day for about 6 days.  The pool was about as packed as I've seen it over the years.  There have been more families that have ventured out to the valley for the Spring Break/Easter holiday.  Lot's of new people have purchased condo's over the past couples years in our complex.  Prices did dip a bit in the Winter, but they are starting to rise again as the Spring season ramps up.

It appears some forecasts are showing that Tuesday we may reach the 100F mark in the valley.  Meanwhile, a well deserved break from what has been an ugly Spring for literally all of you out east.  Early summer tease for Chi???  Not to shabby to see a streak of 70's and possible 80's with sunny days.  The vegetation should really bloom next week, except for @Madtown where he has to melt his Glacier first!

nsm_depth_2023040705_Northern_Great_Lake

image.png

• Like 1

The ol' saying that JB uses..."Ridge over Troubled Waters"....interesting Gulf system and one that will surely cycle throughout summer.  I got my eyes on the Gulf states for the post Memorial Day period, more importantly, the period between 7/20 - 7/22 should brew up something Big in the Gulf.  There have been several systems that have came out of the GOM during this years LRC cycle.  I'm really worried about it being a bad "home brewed" Hurricane Season.  Hope I'm wrong about it.

image.png

• Like 1

Hope you all have a splendid Easter holiday weekend and Mother Nature is delivering just beautiful weather across our Nation (except the SE)....

Well, alrighty then...Summer is making an appearance starting tomorrow...

Screen Shot 2023-04-08 at 6.05.11 AM.png

image.png

• Like 2

Yesterday was the 75th anniversary of a tornado outbreak that affected Illinois and Indiana.  Only 6 tornadoes were documented, but keep in mind that weaker tornadoes were not really recorded back then so the actual total from that day is undoubtedly higher, possibly by quite a bit.

Here are some images from that day.  One is a 500 mb plot from that morning, one is a surface map from mid afternoon and one is a map of the approximate tornado tracks.  All of these are courtesy of bangladeshtornadoes.org, which is a fantastic resource for significant tornado events.  Finally, I provided a photograph of one of the tornadoes -- the F4 that crossed from IL into IN.  This is one of the first photographs that clearly showed a multi-vortex tornado.

At least some of the tornado tracks are a bit off.  For example, the tornado that is shown crossing over Lake Michigan did not do so.  It was a bit farther south and passed a couple miles south of the lake.  But you get the general idea.

04074815zh5.gif.9454ae119dbadf5fec50b32d35e3428e.gif.c29365a2b38cc5c3b3fe6187af8e7d13.gif

0407482130zsf.gif.cadf9045b257377d63d79aeefa2d4384.thumb.gif.e0fbb5952e54dda00d127ea739bced27.gif

040748pth.gif.4a6cd9a736b8532c414b7d044397a4ff.thumb.gif.c65508a56571354e9d57079892740635.gif

img.jpeg.jpg.73cc65c296104699464b5bed28362543.jpg.b18406fa6abb4ecaea9b2d8f824dbbcc.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

62 and on its way to 79.  
Humidity at 47%.  
Beautiful for Texas.  
Easter is expected to be a repeat with highs at 79*.   
Have a beautiful weekend!  🌷🐇

• Like 3

Can anyone explain what the cause of dirty snowfall from the April 4-5 snowstorm could be?  As that snow is now melting it's leaving a residue on vehicles, roofs, and on the snow itself. It's widespread over miles as well.

The only thing I can think of is dirt from the Iowa tornadoes getting pulled way up and depositing on the nw side of the low up here on the MN/Ontario border. Seems far fetched but looking for other ideas.IMG_20230408_124145710.thumb.jpg.a7b91c2ba32303555da364a3c3f91a7f.jpg

IMG_20230408_104428617.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

They were a little over optimistic regarding No Tx high tomorrow.  
We’ll likely see 73 and a low near 56.  😀

Happy Easter! Yesterday was a nice early spring day. With 62% of possible sunshine the official H/L at Grand Rapids was 59/32 there was no rain or snow fall. The overnight low here in MBY so far this morning is 32 and that is the current temperature. For today the average H/L is 55/35 the record high of 79 was set in 1931 and the record low of 18 was set in 1997. The record snow fall of 4.4” fell in 1973. Last year it was s cold 40/30 and there was a trace of snow fall.

Happy Easter everyone.  Its going to be a great weather day for mby, I have a couple of rain chances over the next 7 or 8 days.  1/2 to 1 inch of rain possible with temps in the 70s and 80s.  Week 2 is starting to look cooler with some freezes possible as the weather pattern looks like a classic phase 7 for about a week.

JMAN.png

combined_image.png

combined_image.png

• Like 4

Happy Easter from the Valley of the Sun!  As the sun begins to rise just above the mountains to my east, it will be a glorious day here as we will likely top 90F for the 1st time this year.  It'll be a Hot one but nobody is complaining.  Have a splendid time with family and friends today.

• Like 6

A very Happy Easter to all!   We’re anticipating a gorgeous day topping out at 73*.  Sunny, light breeze. 
74 tomorrow with a 20% chance of rain. (We hope)

• Like 3