July 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

FWIW, 1993/94 was an infuriating winter for my area too. Tons of extreme cold but the storm track was complete crap and kept warm-sectoring us into sleet/ZR..it was literally pouring rain at 15*F in one of those storms. Thank goodness I was too young to remember that.

But I’d love a repeat of 1992/93..epic triple-phaser superstorm dumping 16” of snow in 7hrs followed by sideways sleet and gusts to 72mph. My family still has old home videos of that monster.

Seems like a one upper if I’ve ever met one. Nothing is as good here. Ever!!

• Like 1

Rained most of the afternoon but only about 0.06" to show for it. Nice, to see plenty of opportunities for more to come.

Vancouver island looks like the bullseye. Looks like Farther north in B.C. should do good and everything north of Portland or so should as well.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Some showers in the sequim area across to Everett down to the Seattle and Bremerton areas. One shower on vashon only 10 miles or so away.

Looks like a few are around in the Olympia area.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Spent all day working on the yard, the weather was perfect for that! Not so perfect if we were at our lake house.

Was dry for the most part, did have about 15 minutes of sprinkles this afternoon.

B6A2D0F3-3C88-4F22-9AD7-7B32D3A7763F.jpeg

CBDB3602-6B16-4967-8F94-58B7FBE9E30E.jpeg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Chambers Bay after the USGA gets done?

I’m sure those greens at Chambers were approaching this status!

This is the golf course that I worked at for nearly 10yrs, (from the mid 90’s to mid 2000’s) the management company pulled out of its lease and Snohomish Co (owns the property) did not want to run the course so they shut it down last October and nature is quickly reclaiming the property! This is 11 fairway with the bike in pic, and a bunker on 6!

80920249-EF4A-42EB-BA9A-7230A18BAB4F.jpeg

EC611A82-9856-4E28-9AC0-6D7EB4E5D476.jpeg

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

00z GFS showing some nice trends for my area.

Man, you are absolutely obsessed with avoiding anything but warmer than average weather in the summer huh? :lol:

Then you also b*tched nonstop during the cold period in February and March.

I’m sensing a trend here.

Man, you are absolutely obsessed with avoiding anything but warmer than average weather in the summer huh? :lol:

Then you also b*tched nonstop during the cold period in February and March.

I’m sensing a trend here.

This July has been cloudier than normal as well as cooler in terms of daily highs by quite a bit no matter what way you slice it. GFS starts to turn towards average summer weather, which I suggest is a good thing, and for some reason you feel the need to paint me as a heat miser at every possible opportunity.

You literally treat every normal instance of spring/summer/fall warmth like it’s plutonium and I don’t ever call you out for it. I accept your climate preferences. You like cold anomalies, big deal. I don’t care. Different strokes. Yet for some reason you seem to be straight up offended by me wanting normal summer weather.

Maybe if you keep it up, I’ll start liking cool and cloudy “summer” weather! Hahaha, no. I have preferences, and you’re not going to change them no matter how hard you try. Don’t like them? Tough.

This July has been cloudier than normal as well as cooler in terms of daily highs by quite a bit no matter what way you slice it. GFS starts to turn towards average summer weather, which I suggest is a good thing, and for some reason you feel the need to paint me as a heat miser at every possible opportunity.

You literally treat every normal instance of spring/summer/fall warmth like it’s plutonium and I don’t ever call you out for it. I accept your climate preferences. You like cold anomalies, big deal. I don’t care. Different strokes. Yet for some reason you seem to be straight up offended by me wanting normal summer weather.

Maybe if you keep it up, I’ll start liking cool and cloudy “summer” weather! Hahaha, no. I have preferences, and you’re not going to change them no matter how hard you try. Don’t like them? Tough.

Good points. Different strokes. Although your statement about me treating normal warmth like plutonium is untrue. I often have nice things to say about seasonably warm weather and long as it doesn’t last for weeks on end.

Good points. Different strokes. Although your statement about me treating normal warmth like plutonium is untrue. I often have nice things to say about seasonably warm weather and long as it doesn’t last for weeks on end.

I just dislike streakiness in general. I much prefer short ridges and troughs over 3 weeks of torching followed by 2 weeks in the refrigerator. Even seasonable warmth can get old if it goes on for too long.

However, being on the west coast of a continent doesn’t exactly put you in a good position for that.

Looks like the 0z ensemble has completely removed any anomalous warmth at least until late in the month.  Looks like we have a shot at a cool July for once.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The weather the past few weeks has been utterly typical by pre 2013 standards, with the exception of the thunderstorms which were fun and exciting. A bit cloudier perhaps than the statistical average but it's very much been within the realm normalcy. More than anything the reaction to this stretch of weather shows how much recent summers have skewed expectations. 

I guess you were like nine years old in 2012 though which explains your lack of perspective.

• Like 4

The weather the past few weeks has been utterly typical by pre 2013 standards, with the exception of the thunderstorms which were fun and exciting. A bit cloudier perhaps than the statistical average but it's very much been within the realm normalcy. More than anything the reaction to this stretch of weather shows how much recent summers have skewed expectations.

I guess you were like nine years old in 2012 though which explains your lack of perspective.

This. ^^

Mark summarizes things well in his latest blog post.

“Portland isn’t sunny Southern California, hot Atlanta, or sunny/dry/hot Denver (in summer). We live in a temperate marine-influenced climate; notice the greenery all around us? This is perfectly normal unless it continues for the next 6 weeks. It doesn’t necessarily mean the entire summer will be cloudy and “cool”. No need to panic for now if your livelihood depends on renting standup paddleboards.”

• Like 4

Mark summarizes things well in his latest blog post.“Portland isn’t sunny Southern California, hot Atlanta, or sunny/dry/hot Denver (in summer). We live in a temperate marine-influenced climate; notice the greenery all around us? This is perfectly normal unless it continues for the next 6 weeks. It doesn’t necessarily mean the entire summer will be cloudy and “cool”. No need to panic for now if your livelihood depends on renting standup paddleboards.”

Never used Mark’s blog, can you link me to it? Would be much appreciated.

Thank you for the perspective. Pretty hard to really remember a truly cool/wet summer. I’m sure it will warm up later on, but for now, it is what it is. Maybe a bit cool but nothing that we haven’t seen in previous summers at all (sans the 13-18 warm period). Hope we can get some more thunderstorms while we still have troughing - that’s definitely been a welcome feature of this summer so far.

Phil said all spring that a normal summer would cause loads of complaining, let alone a cooler than average one. He was right. From here on out I will cut down on the complaining. It’s not like Feb 2019 or anything where we got missed by three big snow events.

And yeah, sorry for overreacting so much this month.

• Like 3

Excellent and informative blog. Thanks for sharing.

In the past couple of days I’ve been noticing the resurgence of the blob in the GoA (which is briefly talked about in this article as well). Looked at SST maps from February up until now and there’s a pretty fast warming trend. Hoping that doesn’t last into fall and winter. Maybe the troughing forecasted in the GoA can help cool it down?

Excellent and informative blog. Thanks for sharing.

In the past couple of days I’ve been noticing the resurgence of the blob in the GoA (which is briefly talked about in this article as well). Looked at SST maps from February up until now and there’s a pretty fast warming trend. Hoping that doesn’t last into fall and winter. Maybe the troughing forecasted in the GoA can help cool it down?

Wasn’t the blob there during the nice 13-14 winter?

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

59F and mostly sunny in Springfield.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

94DD2188-5337-4BA8-A60E-55AACB5757B0.jpeg

329B7781-6CB6-41AB-BECB-7AAFA65E72F9.jpeg

Found this post on the NWS Seattle Twitter explaining how the heat wave in Alaska and the cool/troughy pattern in the PNW are connected.

Looking at the Anchorage forecast, heat is expected to last through today (85) and tomorrow. After that, it cools down, but the rest of the forecast is still torching compared to average.

• Like 2

Looks like the Seattle area and kitsap peninsula got a good amount of rain from last nights convergence zone. Was a few miles south so no rainfall here. Currently 58 after a low of 56. Headed to the mountains this afternoon hopefully there will be a bit of clearing today.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0