July 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

I’m not kidding though. Wet season can be dry if you get the wrong patterns. Look at November, January, and March last year at PDX. All under 3” and March was only 1.5”. Keep in mind that’s our “wet season”.

:lol:

Nobody says it needs to rain more in the winter.    If we get a decent pattern somehow (usually when its cold) then enjoy it.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

:lol:

Nobody says it needs to rain more in the winter. If we get a decent pattern somehow (usually when its cold) then enjoy it.

I live in the PNW and I want more winter precipitation, someone send David Attenborough to document this incredible finding!

Only problem is we couldn’t get decent patterns last winter. November, January, and March were all dry, December was slightly below average, and February was above average but not by much. We haven’t had a month over 7” of rain since March of 2017. Meanwhile California stole our rain last winter. Many places in CA had an epic winter and they complained about it, which was extremely annoying living in the PNW stuck in drier than normal conditions.

Also look up the 1985-1994 period in PDX. Out of 10 years, not ONE had above average precipitation. Three months out of 10 years recorded over 7” rainfall.

I was only 2 years old when the nisqually quake happened so this is the first real notable earthquake ive felt living in WA. Only other earthquake I remember distinctly was 4/4/10 when I was in Southern California getting back from a cruise to the west Mexican coast which was a much bigger 7.2 quake centered in NW Mexico.

I hope I never have to experience a really big earthquake like the ones that have happened in California and Alaska. Whenever I go fishing out on the beach or jetty, or even on a boat, I know I'm screwed if another 1700 Cascadia like earthquake hits. It will eventually happen again. We can't live in fear though, just have to be prepared as much as we can.

I live in the PNW and I want more winter precipitation, someone send David Attenborough to document this incredible finding!

Only problem is we couldn’t get decent patterns last winter. November, January, and March were all dry, December was slightly below average, and February was above average but not by much. We haven’t had a month over 7” of rain since March of 2017. Meanwhile California stole our rain last winter. Many places in CA had an epic winter and they complained about it, which was extremely annoying living in the PNW stuck in drier than normal conditions.

Also look up the 1985-1994 period in PDX. Out of 10 years, not ONE had above average precipitation. Three months out of 10 years recorded over 7” rainfall.

Then why do you crave summer ridging?

Pick a side!

• Like 1

Pick a side!

Because I don’t have a problem with dry season being dry. That’s to be expected, hence why it is called dry season. I have a problem with wet season being dry, which is what has happened for the last two years.

You live in a place where you talk about 3” of rain in one day as if it’s a completely normal thing. The all-time record for one-day precipitation at PDX is 2.67”. Even Yuma, AZ has a higher record. Talk about absolutely pathetic.

If you lived here, you’d know.

Pick a side!

He’s a really interesting hybrid. Definitely a lot of potential to piss off both “camps”. He also seems to be pretty wrapped around his own opinions/expressing them, coupled with a healthy dose of weenieism and unreasonable expectations for our climate. VERY promising to see at such a young age!

• Like 1

Definitely. I think November 1993 was quite chilly too, so at least it had that going for it.

Ha. I quite like late fall and winter storminess. Don’t think I’ve made one complaint about this summer either. Hoping for a little heat during my holidays at a Lake doesn’t seem too unreasonable
  • Like 1

Ha. I quite like late fall and winter storminess. Don’t think I’ve made one complaint about this summer either. Hoping for a little heat during my holidays at a Lake doesn’t seem too unreasonable

Just giving you a hard time. In all honesty you are consistently one of the more reasonable posters here.

Because I don’t have a problem with dry season being dry. That’s to be expected, hence why it is called dry season. I have a problem with wet season being dry, which is what has happened for the last two years.

You live in a place where you talk about 3” of rain in one day as if it’s a completely normal thing. The all-time record for one-day precipitation at PDX is 2.67”. Even Yuma, AZ has a higher record. Talk about absolutely pathetic.

If you lived here, you’d know.

2.67”. Is that correct?

He’s a really interesting hybrid. Definitely a lot of potential to piss off both “camps”. He also seems to be pretty wrapped around his own opinions/expressing them, coupled with a healthy dose of weenieism and unreasonable expectations for our climate. VERY promising to see at such a young age!

So wanting an average summer and also wanting a wet winter at the same time is an unreasonable expectation, despite the fact that it has very much happened before in instances such as 1998 and then the winter of 98-99. Or 2016 and them 16-17. Okay then.

Oh wait, both of those were actually warmer than average summers. Odd.

So wanting an average summer and also wanting a wet winter at the same time is an unreasonable expectation, despite the fact that it has very much happened before in instances such as 1998 and then the winter of 98-99. Or 2016 and them 16-17. Okay then.

Oh wait, both of those were actually warmer than average summers. Odd.

Wanting them on command and whining about everything else is unreasonable. Yes.

2.67”. Is that correct?

I believe so. I think the date for that specific amount was December 7th, 2015, and is considered the highest calendar day rainfall amount in PDX history.

EDIT: derp, he posted a table while I was typing

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

So you hate the same weather you root for six months later?

At least Tim is consistent in his hatred of all things involving water falling from the sky.

Wait, huh? So you hate the same weather you root for six months later?

At least Tim is consistent in his hatred of all things involving water falling from the sky.

Snowsquall wishes for cold in winter and heat in summer. None of you ever try to call him out for wanting different things depending on the season. I do the same and suddenly I’m different?

Wait, huh? So you hate the same weather you root for six months later?

I generally like rain in the summer.  

And its tolerable in the winter when there are lots breaks with offshore flow in between... like last winter.       

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Guest CulverJosh

That big snowstorm that hit Eugene and points E/NE will hit Portland this year. Why you ask? Because I am now in the crosshairs of what happened last year.

• Like 1

Liking seasons seems pretty normal.

Seasons are a given. You don’t have to root them on because they’re always there.

But if you enjoy a particular type of weather (such as blasting sunshine) and complain when it’s cloudy, how can you reverse to loving rainfall and cloudiness 24/7?

Seasons are a given. You don’t have to root them on because they’re always there.

But if you enjoy a particular type of weather (such as blasting sunshine) and complain when it’s cloudy, how can you reverse to loving rainfall and cloudiness 24/7?

It’s based on the season. I like warm and sunny summers, and very wet winters.

Why?

I honesty thought you were semi-trolling before due to the excessive clouds or something, but I guess you’re legit about this?

Using airport data since 1940, it’s actually 2.69”. Downtown is a wetter microclimate. The Tualatin Valley actually more closely resembles the airport. If I recall, Yuma’s record is around 3”.

attachicon.gif08D6D72D-7305-460C-944D-2B57C94BB6A0.jpeg

The airport happens to be in one of, if not the driest microclimate in the area. Most places average at least 40", downtown Portland for example averages 7" more than the airport. The daily record is completely unrepresentative of what this area is capable of as well, December 1882 had back to back days of 4.07" on the 12th and 6.68" on the 13th.

Why?

I honesty thought you were semi-trolling before due to the excessive clouds or something, but I guess you’re legit about this?

Why do you like what you like? You always somehow manage to make absolutely awful points in these discussions, even when there are good ones sitting right there ready to be grabbed. :lol:

• Like 1

I know. You want this to be Redding. You’ve mentioned something along those lines over a dozen times since you opened your account here. ;)

Seasons.

I love snow in December. Hate it by March.

Why?

Those are my climate preferences. There are several reasons I like winter rain in my area:

- Winter rain usually means snow in the mountains.

- Winter rain keeps the east winds at bay.

- Winter rain is significant in preventing drought in summer.

- To me, winter rain is quite often comforting and refreshing.

I like summer to feel like summer, on the other hand. Simple as that. My ideal summer would average around 84°F for a high (and also be dry rather than humid), but I’d consider our average summers very good as well.

• Like 1

How do you switch from wanting warm rain and thunderstorms all summer to arctic cold in and snow in the winter? How is this possible?? You should want the same weather all year.

I know. You want this to be Redding. You’ve mentioned something along those lines over a dozen times since you opened your account here. ;)

Nope. Greatly prefer the climate in the foothills in places such as Nevada City and Mt Shasta / Dunsmuir. Redding’s climate is IMO worse than Portland most years. It’s way too hot in the summer and winters are extremely hit or miss when it comes to precipitation. Some years you get 70” in one year, other years you get 13”. This year just happened to be a really good one for Redding.

Nope. Greatly prefer the climate in the foothills in places such as Nevada City and Mt Shasta / Dunsmuir. Redding’s climate is IMO worse than Portland most years. It’s way too hot in the summer and winters are extremely hit or miss when it comes to precipitation. Some years you get 70” in one year, other years you get 13”. This year just happened to be a really good one for Redding.

You should make this your sig.

Guest CulverJosh

Those are my climate preferences. There are several reasons I like winter rain in my area:

- Winter rain usually means snow in the mountains.

- Winter rain keeps the east winds at bay.

- Winter rain is significant in preventing drought in summer.

- To me, winter rain is quite often comforting and refreshing.

I like summer to feel like summer, on the other hand. Simple as that. My ideal summer would average around 84°F for a high (and also be dry rather than humid), but I’d consider our average summers very good as well.

All correct except for the rain keeping the east winds away comment.

How do you switch from wanting warm rain and thunderstorms all summer to arctic cold in and snow in the winter? How is this possible?? You should want the same weather all year.

That’s the point, I don’t switch. I’d love thunderstorms or snow anytime of year, because I enjoy both. Likewise, I hate heat/humidity, and hate it at all times.

Omegaraptor is the complete opposite.

Huh? I would thunderstorms or snow anytime of year.

Thunderstorms are fine at any time of year. I greatly prefer thunderstorms and heavy rain to drizzle, especially in summer.

Snow shouldn’t happen outside of winter, at least in the lowlands.

• Like 2

That’s the point, I don’t switch. I would love thunderstorms or snow anytime of year because I enjoy both. I hate heat/humidity and hate it at all times.

Oh well. The fact that he switches what he likes from season to season seems pretty normal. What bugs me is that he seems to have a very narrow set of preferences regarding what he wants to see the weather do around here, and complains a bunch if it deviates at all.

I remember him complaining just as much about last summer’s hot and sunny as he had this summer’s “cool” and cloudy. To me that just says hard to please.

• Like 1

Oh well. The fact that he switches what he likes from season to season seems pretty normal. What bugs me is that he seems to have a very narrow set of preferences regarding what he wants to see the weather do around here, and complains a bunch if it deviates at all.

I remember him complaining just as much about last summer’s hot and sunny as he had this summer’s “cool” and cloudy. To me that just says hard to please.

There’s that too. I just don’t get how you can “switch” your innate desires like that.

Either you like it or you don’t. Simple as that.