2019 Autumn & Winter Discussion

Tom

The leaves are already starting to change around here quite quickly this last week and a half.  Probably the earliest I've ever seen or noticed before. Usually you'll have a few this time of year start turning due to heat stress and either too much or a lack of rain.  This year I'm thinking it's due to the cooler nights and days.  If the weather keeps up like this, fall definitely is coming early (I'm loving it!).  

20190827_101636.jpg

69108700_703831493465578_4937041589374550016_n.jpg

• Like 5

I will have to look again, but I think that was the number of days with 20+ inches OTG in this region. 78 is #1 or 2 for double-digit snow cover days.

I was pretty close. I just looked and it was (only) 24 straight days with 20+ inch snow depth from 1/27/78 to 2/18/78. 

I didn't look at overall dbl-digit days but I'm pretty sure 2013-14 took and firmly holds that crown now. 

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

@Madtown, we live about 45 min. north of the Twin Cities.  I will be going up to our cabin this weekend which is about 30 min. south of Duluth, so I'm very interested in seeing what the woods are looking like up there. I wouldn't mind leaves changing and falling early for the hunting season which starts in a few days. 

Every year as we head into Fall the GFS starts advertising major cold fronts about 7-10 days out.  They only pan out about 1/4 of the time.  The GFS today compared to yesterday is way warmer over the next couple of weeks.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  

True dat. But I don't want mega-below normal in the first half of September anyways. A little below is just right. Can't control it, but if I could I'd save all the cold for when it counts. 

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

You guys know I like to use these maps to provide a clue in terms of LR thoughts and something rather intriguing is happening in the Strat.  I meant to make this post the other day but ran out of time in the day.  Take a look at what is beginning to happen over the Arctic regions at both 10mb & 30mb.  As we sit here on the last days of met Summer, there seems to be early signs of Strat warming starting to evolve.  This may be a reason why the PV is near record low strength according to Judah Cohen

More

As I mentioned in the blog the stratospheric #polarvortex (PV) is emerging from its summer hibernation near record weak. I find this surprising since increasing carbon dioxide cools the polar stratosphere which strengthens the PV and in the absence of dynamics should dominate.

EDD1YuIWsAUbW5Z.jpg

Here are the 10mb/30mb animations below...

temp10anim.gif

temp30anim.gif

Notice where the warming is currently being driven and its clearly across NW NAMER and the Arctic regions.  This leads me to believe that there will be a lot of ridging in the right places that like to dislodge cold into the U.S.  What is the latest CFSv2 showing for this month???  An amplified N.A. pattern...right where the warming is currently occurring in the Srat.  Correlation???

CFSv2.z700.20190828.201909.gif

I've also attached the last 10 runs off the CFSv2 500mb and a clear signal is shining...

Diving deeper into the pattern and looking out into early October when the "new" LRC begins taking shape, I'm very encouraged to see the signals for an Aleutian Low/NW NAMER Ridge scenario to take shape.  This would lead to an increased possibility that we open October on a cold/active note.  My gut says we will have an amplified pattern and this will be one of the main Exhibits of the LRC.  I also do expect to see a SW ridge pop at times during this new pattern which will allow the N PAC jet to flow into the N Rockies as systems ride the northern stream into our Sub.  I have this vision in my mind of what I anticipate to see evolve during the Oct/Nov period.  In fact, I posted 500mb maps in the August Discussion of where we may be heading.  Needless to say, it involves an active N Stream with lots of blocking across Canada.  It's going to be an interesting Autumn.

• Like 2

Taking a look at today's JMA weeklies we can get an idea of what the potential pattern may in fact look like as we open up October.  I'm going to pay attn to the N PAC pattern bc that is where we can use the BSR rule to sorta get an idea of what may lie ahead.  In the velocity map below, I posted the Day 17-30 range for specific reasons as it will bring us to the range where we can use this pattern (Sept 15th-28th) to get a gist of what the new LRC may hold (17-21 days out).  Check out the rising motion centered thoroughly across the the middle of the N PAC, from Hawaii on north.  This gives me an idea that the model is "seeing" a deep trough where storms will want to form...will this be the Aleutian Low??  The 500mb map below is suggesting a hint of a west coast & EC ridge with weakness across the center of the nation.  As mentioned before, I'm predicting a dominant NW Flow pattern to open up October coupled with very strong Autumn troughs/storms and early snows.  Giddy up Winter fans...this season is almost here...another memorable season is in the cards for our Sub but I'm not quite sure where the "golden spot" will end up.

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R14_3/Y201908.D2812_gl0.png

The temps map below is clearly showing anomalous warmth across the west coast and up into NW NAMER to close out the 2nd half of Sept.  It seems clear to me nature is starting to portray signs that Autumn is coming quickly this year and when it does, it may turn out to be quite harsh.  Early snow & cold will continue to build up in Canada which will not going to have any problem trying to push its way south in this type of 500mb pattern.  Migrating Canadian Geese will be plentiful flying through the air in their "V" shaped positions.  Will our northern members have some early snows to deal with along with Frosts/Freezes?

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R14_3/Y201908.D2812_gl2.png

In terms of the SST pattern, the way its all coming together in the PAC as a whole is a textbook signal of one that screams "The Wild U.S. Winter of 2019-2020" if this holds.

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R28_1/Y201908.D2812_gls.png

• Like 2

I was outside yesterday and I happened to notice the biggest, I mean, the biggest spider web I've ever seen since I've lived here.  They had to be about 18" wide/tall.  It boggled my mind a bit to see such a huge web.  I've only seen them this size in a forest or somewhere near a lake/dock/etc.  That article from the Farmer's Almanac might have some validity of what is coming down the road.

• Like 1

True dat. But I don't want mega-below normal in the first half of September anyways. A little below is just right. Can't control it, but if I could I'd save all the cold for when it counts. 

Agree100% :)

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

@  FA map

Noice!  :)

• Like 1

My local frost and freeze climo. This is 45 miles east of me in a "heat island" of Northwest Arkansas, but you get the idea.Screenshot_20190830-023019_Brave.jpg

I'm sick of 265 day grass cutting seasons.

Even after first frost, hard freeze is what counts to kill grass. My mower hasn't had many weeks off the last 4 years.

• Like 1

Kansas City somehow has a later first freeze date than it should. Areas well south of us have earlier average first freeze dates. KC's is October 28. Springfield, MO is October 21. Joplin, MO is October 24. Topeka, KS is October 4! Same latitude. I guess there could be some heat island effect, but the airport is out in the boonies. So that should be a mitigating factor.

It's the same here. That's the "so-called official" date. I know better and anyone who lives here does also. Your climo isn't that much different from mine, in spite of being further north. I'm around a week to 15 days ahead of that chart some years, but if it's not recorded, well...guess it didn't happen.

Farmers Almanac predicts a brutal Winter, but NOAA thinks differently, as usual (Warm) :rolleyes:

It always amazes me how pros can look at the same thing and get polar opposite forecasts. Guess it’s no big deal as there’s rarely any repercussions.
  • Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

It always amazes me how pros can look at the same thing and get polar opposite forecasts. Guess it’s no big deal as there’s rarely any repercussions.

True. I have thought of that as well. I am not sure what details they look at that makes them trigger a different outlook from each other.

I do believe that its important to have similar outlooks because the consequences can affect a whole lot of people/places/farms and etc.

April 2024:

I did a quick look into where we are in terms of the QBO and the data continues to show we are in an easterly phase and sliding deeper into negative readings.  It will be interesting to see what the official reading will be for August when it comes out in the next few days.

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/STRAT/gif/tlat_u10_nh.gif

This is a big clue going forward in terms of what impacts we will see regarding the behavior of the Strat this coming cold season...Siberian Express???  Yes...I see you "Cross Polar Flow"...

The role of the QBO is determined by compositing seasons with easterly phase (QBO‐E) separately from seasons with westerly phase (QBO‐W). In response to the sea ice forcing in early winter, the polar vortex during QBO‐E weakens with strong stratosphere‐troposphere wave‐1 coupling and a negative Northern Annular Mode‐type response. At the surface, this results in more severe Siberian cold spells. For QBO‐W, the polar vortex strengthens in response to the sea ice forcing.
  • Like 1

My first stab at predicting the beginnings of the "new" 2019-2020 LRC is for a Split Flow pattern across N.A and the likelihood of an amplified NW Flow.  Unlike last year, around this time, I saw a strong signal for a SER to develop in early October due to a big ridge near and south of the Aleutians that formed during the month of September.  This years pattern across the N PAC will influence our sensible weather quite different.  A new year, a very new pattern is shaping up and one that will overwhelmingly support a dominant "North American Vortex".

Take a look at the N PAC SST's during mid-Sept, that blob south of the Aleutians supported a repeating SER over and over during last year's pattern.

anomnight.9.20.2018.gif

This year, it's taking on a different "look"...a larger area of cooler waters is starting to grow south of the Aleutians.  Not to mention, the warm blob in the E PAC that is hugging NW NAMER and the west coast, adding farther influence towards ridging into western North America...

anomnight.8.29.2019.gif

So, here we are, on this last day of met Summer, which has that Autumn-feel in the air, do not despair, "The Vortex will be with You"....

• Like 1

According to forecasters the Southern Plains will be enjoying summer weather for another 7-10 days with a low likelihood of rain.

Hurrah, more heat.

:(

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

According to forecasters the Southern Plains will be enjoying summer weather for another 7-10 days with a low likelihood of rain.

Hurrah, more heat.

:(

I just saw that as well. Our changes down here are going to be a bit slower than the rest of the pack up north. But as Tom noted, as the Pac SSTs get their act together and begin to cause deeper toughing upstream, along with an amplified ridge off the SE coast of N.A. (blocking ridge vs a typical "Nina ridge",.. that more vertically oriented and tilted ridge I spoke of a few weeks back) we WILL begin to see the cooling. Its inevitable this time. You can almost re-draw the pattern over the US from the Pacific when the Nirthern latitudes uncouple from the southern latitudes. Then all you do is wait for the crashes over our states. Hence, severe wx this fall and great winter weather to follow.

I've been wrong a lot in the past, but I hadn't ever experienced a double positive qbo before either. No one had. It was chaos. It was the one out of 10 things and it messed up the whole thing for around 26-28 months when it should have relented after 12-18. I'm dead sure of cold coming this time. Just gotta get the pieces in place.

• Like 1

Someone may know where to better source this and/or correct me, but I have just read that we may have had the earliest sea ice minimum date for the arctic in recorded history and we were over 900,000km2 above the hysteria year of 2012 as long with running slightly above the 11 year avg from 2007-2018.

It reversed in 10 days. That's the fastest in observed history.

Correct me if needed. I'm not here to present false statements.

• Like 1

I just saw that as well. Our changes down here are going to be a bit slower than the rest of the pack up north. But as Tom noted, as the Pac SSTs get their act together and begin to cause deeper toughing upstream, along with an amplified ridge off the SE coast of N.A. (blocking ridge vs a typical "Nina ridge",.. that more vertically oriented and tilted ridge I spoke of a few weeks back) we WILL begin to see the cooling. Its inevitable this time. You can almost re-draw the pattern over the US from the Pacific when the Nirthern latitudes uncouple from the southern latitudes. Then all you do is wait for the crashes over our states. Hence, severe wx this fall and great winter weather to follow.

I've been wrong a lot in the past, but I hadn't ever experienced a double positive qbo before either. No one had. It was chaos. It was the one out of 10 things and it messed up the whole thing for around 26-28 months when it should have relented after 12-18. I'm dead sure of cold coming this time. Just gotta get the pieces in place.

I think you'll see a lot more cold than us.  Texas is far enough south to see the western influence hit us throughout our winters.  Olka seems to enjoy colder weather thanks to the northern push.  I think Texas will see mostly normal winter temps and perhaps a little more moisture.  But I'm not getting my hopes up this year.

I think you'll see a lot more cold than us. Texas is far enough south to see the western influence hit us throughout our winters. Olka seems to enjoy colder weather thanks to the northern push. I think Texas will see mostly normal winter temps and perhaps a little more moisture. But I'm not getting my hopes up this year.

Maybe not. For you, it depends a good bit on snowpack over KS, NW Okla, TX panhandle and that region, plus the state of the NAO (North Atlantic Oscillation) and a deepening low over NM and SW Texas to sort of throw or push the cold back and keep it from draining off to the east. I'm far enough away that I can catch a good bit of cold bleeding back off the Ozark Plateau (backdoor) here if it gets east of me and deep enough. It's the same weakness that causes ice storms here in some years (2009) as well.

If you like winter, I hope we both finally get one, but I definitely think you're right to use cautious optimism there. I think you'd probably take it as a win just to get that sorry ridge to diminish or migrate somewhere else for now. It will soon. It won't have a choice. If you want cold pulled down to you, in later cycles, that ridge shifting over the Desert Southwest is your friend as well. It's an anticyclone.

• Like 1

Well, I'm ready for the weather to lighten up on us.

It's been quite wearing on us all. Maybe if it gets cooler or cold, they'll stop shooting each other, eh?

• Like 2

It strikes me how consistent the CFS model has been at building up the Northern Hemisphere snow pack during this Autumn.  Of note, after one of the coldest Augusts in Moscow's long history, Mother Russia is going to build up her snow pack early and often in Sept which leads us into the all important month of October.  By the middle of Sept, or rather, within the next couple weeks, we'll already start seeing the snow build and expand in the heart of Eurasia.

Sept 17th...

19091700_0100.gif

Looking out another 2 weeks at the start of October and the model, along with other climate models, suggests it explodes across the entire Asian continent.

19100100_0100.gif

Finally, by Nov 1st, we may be setting Autumn hemispheric snow cover records if these maps come close to verifying, esp to our neighbors up north.  I've been monitoring these forecasts like a hawk and they have been steadfast.  Great signals overall.

19110100_0100.gif

Summer 2019 summery

Grand Rapids summer 2019 summery. While it might have seemed that the summer of 2019 was hot and humid the numbers for the summer show that the summer was near average for Grand Rapids. The mean temperature at GR for this summer was 71.0 the 30 year average is 70.6 so the summer was +0.4° the highest temperature was 92 on 7/20 the 30 year average hottest day is 93, the lowest was 40 on 6/3 the 30 year average is 41. Precipitation 11.65” average is 11.14. Heating degree days 57 average is 65. Cooling Degree Days 636 average is 578. Wind average wind speed was 7.7 MPH the highest sustained wind was 44 MPH on 7/20 the highest gust was 69 MPH also on 7/20. The possible sunshine for the past summer was 63%  So all in all a summer that was near average.

After a brief positive blip in the AO forecasting in the longer term, mostly due to a ton of activity in the bering sea and a massive hurricane Dorian, we should see the cooler trends come back to the models around day 5. I am disappointed that we didn't see the stacked cold waves verify for this month down here on the lower end of the sub, but my heart always has held that October will be the primetime showing for that and what (hopefully) the last week to 10 of September will preview for us.

The hints are all there, just gotta get this 4 corners ridge out of here and anchored where it can't come back.

To be continued....

It strikes me how consistent the CFS model has been at building up the Northern Hemisphere snow pack during this Autumn.  Of note, after one of the coldest Augusts in Moscow's long history, Mother Russia is going to build up her snow pack early and often in Sept which leads us into the all important month of October.  By the middle of Sept, or rather, within the next couple weeks, we'll already start seeing the snow build and expand in the heart of Eurasia.

Sept 17th...

19091700_0100.gif

Looking out another 2 weeks at the start of October and the model, along with other climate models, suggests it explodes across the entire Asian continent.

19100100_0100.gif

Finally, by Nov 1st, we may be setting Autumn hemispheric snow cover records if these maps come close to verifying, esp to our neighbors up north.  I've been monitoring these forecasts like a hawk and they have been steadfast.  Great signals overall.

19110100_0100.gif

Seems to have backed away from filling Canada with snow by Oct 1st and now is focusing on Eurasia, which imho is the more typical and likely scenario. Canada gets snow in Oct (in a good year). This stronger system causing all the Gale Warnings to be hoisted is a nice sign. 

• Like 2

Just returned from my cabin up in Bemidji, MN. Took a trip to Itasca, where the Mississippi starts, while I was up there. There is quite a large old fire tower that you can climb up. After battling with quite fierce winds, I made it to the top. Could already see some trees changing into their fall colors. It will likely be stunning up there in a couple weeks or so. Pretty incredible how early things are flipping!

• Like 4

Autumn is in the air as leaves are now starting slowly to change color here. Also, temps are getting cooler and clouds just have a different look in the sky. That Summer look is long gone.

April 2024:

Just returned from my cabin up in Bemidji, MN. Took a trip to Itasca, where the Mississippi starts, while I was up there. There is quite a large old fire tower that you can climb up. After battling with quite fierce winds, I made it to the top. Could already see some trees changing into their fall colors. It will likely be stunning up there in a couple weeks or so. Pretty incredible how early things are flipping!

Just got back from our cabin in Cromwell, MN as well today and the amount of leaves changing over there is incredible to see as well.  And the lake was SO COLD compared to a couple weeks ago! Typically Labor Day weekend is so warm it feels excellent to go swimming!  However, one time was enough for me this weekend :P

• Like 3

Just got back from our cabin in Cromwell, MN as well today and the amount of leaves changing over there is incredible to see as well.  And the lake was SO COLD compared to a couple weeks ago! Typically Labor Day weekend is so warm it feels excellent to go swimming!  However, one time was enough for me this weekend :P

Hehe, yes it was a bit chilly for swimming. I believe water temp was around 65.