6.4 Shakes Southwestern Calif.- Followed by 6.9 mag.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/significant-earthquake-rattles-california

A 6.4 earthquake rattled Searles Valley today along Garlock Faultline which runs 90* out from the San Andreas fault. The quake was accompanied by several lower quakes prior to the 6.4 and numerous quakes after.

No injuries have been reported but it was felt widely throughout the area. Many geologists have been anticipating a larger quake in the area.

34C3E6F9-C3AB-474A-94C5-5C889E99F7BF-1679-00000170F39E9BA2.jpg

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

People from Las Vegas to the Pacific Coast reported feeling a rolling motion that shook shower doors and made hanging dining room light sway.

Roadshave been reported as damaged and fires reported. This has been the largest quake in southern Calif. since 1999.

Still developing.

50+ aftershocks so far. That is expected to continue.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

IMG_3791.JPG

This is the ground reacting to today's quake.

Classified as Moderate to Severe, it was listed as 5.4 mi. Deep. This shallow depth insured that the intensity was felt over a wide area.

Seismographs picked it up as far as Pennsylvania.

Aftershocks remain fairly strong and there will be hundreds, if not thousands, before it settles down.

This was the lasrgest quake in 20 yrs in California.

M3.65

14km W of Searles Valley, CA

19 minutes ago

M4.09

15km W of Searles Valley, CA

36 minutes ago

M3.26

12km WSW of Searles Valley, CA

50 minutes ago

M3.25

17km W of Searles Valley, CA

2 hours ago

M3.05

15km W of Searles Valley, CA

2 hours ago

M3.44

16km NNE of Ridgecrest, CA

2 hours ago

M5.36

16km W of Searles Valley, CA

2 hours ago

M3.54

8km ESE of Ridgecrest, CA

2 hours ago

Garlock Fault sits at 90* to San Andreas. San Andreas is moving both north and south. When you add a Fault intersecting at 90* to one side of the SA Fault, you begin to dynamically transfer stress. Also, sometimes a massive quake is preceeded by 1-3 earlier strong quakes.

We don't know what we don't know and there is the danger. Could the July 4th quake be a signal that San Andreas is becoming dangerously strained and will slip near LA ? All residents can do is prepare to bug out if the time comes.

July 4th earthquake won’t delay the Big One. And it might have worsened quake strain

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-did-california-earthquake-relieve-earthquake-stress-20190705-story.html

"It actually probably made things worse for parts of some faults in that region, said earthquake scientists Ross Stein and Volkan Sevilgen, writing on their blog at Temblor.net.

The two wrote that they believe that parts of three other faults — in remote areas of California — were actually “brought closer to failure by the 4th July quake.”

And in fact, they wrote, the area hit by Thursday’s quake likely became loaded with more seismic strain after two previous temblors — the 1872 Owens Valley and the 1992 Landers earthquakes."

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/07/05/california-earthquake-map-shows-unusual-number-of-aftershocks/

This quake has resulted in an unusually high number of aftershocks 2.5+

More expected.

It ain't over. There could be more quakes near the 6.4 on the 4th of July

IMG_3793.JPG

IMG_3794.JPG

USGS just reported a 7.1 preliminary near Searle’s at Ridgecrest.

Details are developing.

It was preceded by a 5.1.

Large secondary quakes are usually expected by seismologists. Dr.Lucy Jones, a seismologist fron Cal Tech is predicting another large aftershock. 6.9 is possible, but. 5.0 is almost assured.

There have been 1700 aftershocks and the area is understandably nervous. The area has been plagued with fires, road damage, buildings damages beyond repair. It's just a very small taste of what a 8.0+ might do to the great LA Area.

The big question has yet to be addressed by authorities as to the chances of these quakes affecting San Andreas. Sometimes I think these big quakes ring like a bell and it is hard to say where the stress goes. I'm still concerned about the Cascades. These quakes may not have any bearing at all, but the Cascades are long overdue.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-aftershocks-ridgecrest-earthquake-20190705-story.html

Cal Tech is now saying aftershocks will last months if not years.

I haven’t heard WHY this fault line merits that opinion but it will be interesting to learn.

Dr. Lucy Jones of CalTech is weighing in on the likelihood that the San Andreas Fault could become involved in this quake event. The San Andreas has a major event over 7.0 about every 200 years. This, however, doesn't rule out lesser moderate quakes. Currently all of Southern California is on edge as aftershocks will continue for quite some time.

All of the Valley is interlaced with numerous smaller faults which could move as a result, so the big one isn't the main worry currently. Major movement was felt from Las Vegas to Bakersfield to LA.

IMG_3795.JPG

Seismograph of the July 4th, 2019 Searles Valley quake

Large secondary quakes are usually expected by seismologists. Dr.Lucy Jones, a seismologist fron Cal Tech is predicting another large aftershock. 6.9 is possible, but. 5.0 is almost assured.

There have been 1700 aftershocks and the area is understandably nervous. The area has been plagued with fires, road damage, buildings damages beyond repair. It's just a very small taste of what a 8.0+ might do to the great LA Area.

The big question has yet to be addressed by authorities as to the chances of these quakes affecting San Andreas. Sometimes I think these big quakes ring like a bell and it is hard to say where the stress goes. I'm still concerned about the Cascades. These quakes may not have any bearing at all, but the Cascades are long overdue.

We touched on some of this around a year or more ago, but, yeah, California pretty much has 10+ MAJOR ticking timebombs ready to go at almost any given time. With increasing seismic activity and volcanism around the Pacific basin, along with pretty long drought cycles and the expected diminished solar cycles ahead (research has shown extensively that earthquakes and volcanism increase dramatically during low solar), California pretty much has issues coming.

I watched that during the WSOP. It stopped the tournament. Kinda crazy to see in it's 50th anniversary.

Well, the big San Francisco quake was 1906. SA moves about every 200 yrs. The one everyone is freaking about may be in the future by decades. But that doesn't mean the area won't see some moderate to servere Shakes before the Fault finally lets go.

I think the so called big one will have numerous pre-quakes that will alert scientists. I'd be surprised if it just went off at 8.0+ out of the blue.

More recently, in history, we had the earthquake of 10-17-89 that started 5 years of apocalyptic earthquake talk and fear when I was a kid.

I remember that one, I was a massive baseball fan when I was a kid.

In terms of geological history, that's pretty short.

There is also the Jan. 1994 Northridge quake in LA which is in the minds of many.

CalTech is saying there's an 11% chance of a larger quake in a week. Not sure how the calculate this, but we'll see.

Aftershocks are up to 3000 and will continue indefinitely. It's said the entire area is on pins and needles.

The aerial shows not only the crack formed, but the subsidence of the land.

Quake 1.jpg

Quake 2.jpg