August 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Omegaraptor

Got to 86F and now down to 67F.  Should be a nice wet day tomorrow.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

00Z NAM sure scaled back...

namconus_apcpn_nwus_8.png

3K looks a lot better. Even the 12Km has a bunch of random cells that end up just barely missing PDX. The moisture’s there, whether we’d want to deny it or not.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

3K looks a lot better. Even the 12Km has a bunch of random cells that end up just barely missing PDX. The moisture’s there, whether we’d want to deny it or not.

I don't really care either way.  Not denying anything.   But it takes a combination of moisture and lift... not just moisture.   The lift part is what looks splitty for tomorrow.  It looks pretty meager up here... but we have had plenty of rain this summer.  

Just was checking timing and was surprised to see how little the NAM showed.    The 3KM NAM definitely has more for Portland through tomorrow afternoon.   

nam3km_apcpn_nwus_8.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I don't really care either way.  Not denying anything.   But it takes a combination of moisture and lift... not just moisture.   The lift part is what looks splitty.   It looks pretty meager up here... but we have had plenty of rain this summer.  

Just was checking timing and was surprised to see how little the NAM showed.    The 3KM NAM definitely has more for Portland through tomorrow afternoon.

nam3km_apcpn_nwus_8.png

Oh, not you in specific. I’ve had people say that they hope this thing falls apart for the sake of a dry day (as much as I sympathize, I hope not).

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, not you in specific. I’ve had people say that they hope this thing falls apart for the sake of a dry day (as much as I sympathize, I hope not).

Its a Wednesday... and it will not be sunny and warm either way.   If its going to be cloudy and cool all day then it might as well be dumping rain.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Little better picture when you look at the last 2 months... through the real heart of meteorological summer from late June through mid-August.   

Wet enough here that the grass has stayed green all summer... I can't remember that happening before.    

anomimage-1.gif

Little better picture when you look at the last 2 months... through the real heart of meteorological summer from late June through mid-August.   

Wet enough here that the grass has stayed green all summer... I can't remember that happening before.    

anomimage-1.gif

Literally the only map over the past 24 months that shows wetter than normal.

Definition of cherry-picking.  :rolleyes:

A forum for the end of the world.

Literally the only map over the past 24 months that shows wetter than normal.

Definition of cherry-picking. :rolleyes:

Cherry picking the middle of the summer season... whatever.

Of course... I can see the results of the wet weather every day here so it makes sense. You don't have that experience.

If I show one month... you will show 2 or 3 months and say I am cherry picking. And you say the same thing if you show one month and I show 2 or 3 months. It seems the only right answer is whatever you want to show... no matter the time frame. ;)

Cherry picking the middle of the summer season... whatever.

Of course... I can see the results of the wet weather every day here so it makes sense. You don't have that experience.

If I show one month... you will show 2 or 3 months and say I am cherry picking. And you say the same thing if you show one month and I show 2 or 3 months. It seems the only right answer is whatever you want to show... no matter the time frame. ;)

You posted literally the only map over mapped periods from the past 2 years that is wetter than normal.

That is fact.

Mid July to mid August is also the warmest/driest time of year per climo. Also fact. Which would logically make it the heart of PNW summer.

You posted literally the only map over periods mapped the past 2 years that is wetter than normal.

That is fact.

Mid July to mid August is also the warmest/driest time of year per climo. Also fact. Which would logically make it the heart of PNW summer.

I did not look at any other map. I just wanted to see what the majority of this summer looked like because I know its been a fairly wet summer here.

In a couple weeks... we will be able to generate a full summer map from June 1 to August 31.

You are just looking for a fight. Both views can be accurate. I said the view over the last 2 months looks better. It does.

Oh god this is going to drag on for awhile. Just wait til Phil jumps in.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I did not look at any other map. I just wanted to see what the majority of this summer looked like because I know its been a fairly wet summer here.

In a couple weeks... we will be able to generate a full summer map from June 1 to August 31.

You are just looking for a fight. Both views can be accurate. I said the view over the last 2 months looks better. It does.

I was not the one who felt the need to respond to what the other posted. Right away. With another map.

I was not the one who felt the need to respond to what the other posted. Right away. With another map.

I’m with Tim here, using a single month map during our driest time of the year is misleading as it is rare to have any sort of meaningful precip during this time period anyways.
  • Like 1

Looks like areas both to the north and south of Portland are being invaded by marine air ahead of tomorrow’s system. Low 70s in Longview and Salem on the hour while PDX holds at 84. It’s 82 here currently.

Cooler air should make it in soon, but it’s interesting how the PDX area can be one of the last west side spots to switch to onshore flow in certain situations. Of course that can be quite beneficial in the winter months.

I noticed this when the smoke was suddenly blown out and the wind changed direction. Air has the biting marine layer feel.

Just a different view. I did not say your post was wrong. I said the last 2 months look a little better... and it does.

GFS looks quite a bit wetter than last run. Good stuff.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

I’m with Tim here, using a single month map during our driest time of the year is misleading as it is rare to have any sort of meaningful precip during this time period anyways.

There's nothing misleading about it. Because it's the driest time of year, any meaningful widespread precip would make a bigger difference anomaly-wise.

It's not like the time of year makes it "easier" to have a drier anomaly map.

20190820-230722.jpg

Nice!

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

20190820-230722.jpg

Wow, PDX is drier than Victoria in terms of August averages, but they're going to blow us away in terms of totals this month. Hard to see where the precipitation up this way is going to come from looking at the current satellite there's little notable cloud formations to our west. The front looks pretty scattered.

Tomorrow will be drier than whay any model is showing.

IR satellite looked very impressive last night... and very unimpressive tonight. But its hard to ignore the ECMWF within 24 hours with surface details.