August 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Omegaraptor

This goes to show that ground zero in the model world 5 days out rarely ends up being reality. We have seen that so many times with snowstorms here!

I'm just thankful Puerto Rico didn't get hit after the fiasco that ensued after their last one. They totally mishandled the aid we sent them and blamed it on Trump.

No politics, please :)

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Not sure about PNW... but it was the least active wildfire season in CA since 1998. Not over yet though.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/08/23/why-california-is-having-its-mildest-fire-season-in-20-years/

Yeah... fires and smoke are a natural part of the warm season in western North America since long before humans arrived.    To have almost no smoke is a rare treat but certainly not normal or to be expected every summer.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

No politics, please :)

Sorry, but that whole situation just galls me.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

There are lots of things on both sides that gall me.    If you were being honest and calling it fairly... you would say the same thing about Trump's behavior.

Stupidity abounds.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yeah, there are certainly things out there that I’d love to rant about. Guess it’s just human nature. But I shy away from it these days because it’s almost ruined a few good friendships.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

There are lots of things on both sides that gall me.    If you were being honest and calling it fairly... you would say the same thing about Trump's behavior.

Stupidity abounds.

Yep!

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Just got back from camping below the sourdough gap near chinook pass last night. Real cold last night with clear skies at 6000’. Was really good visibility this morning on the way out and at sunset last night. Could see St. Helens, Adams and even the top of Mt. Hood to the south this AM.

EBCDEBA1-3305-4F77-9050-027836BD68DE.jpeg

AB86ABEC-A971-4807-918A-738533B90234.jpeg

• Like 2

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Clowney and Ansah for our de’s with our linebacker core? Best front 7 in the game hands down.

Texans are going to be hot garbage for years now. They made an even dumber trade earlier trading 2 first round picks to the Dolphins for players worth a 3rd round pick each lol. Seahawks front should be great as long as Clowney and Ansah actually stay healthy, both have injury history.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

after all the media hype you may end up proven right about the coaster skimmer idea if so fantastic call Phil when most everyone was calling this a Florida hit.

Ha, we’ll see. It’s early..the pattern is such that it could easily wander about, miss the fetch, and plow into the outer banks/delmarva. Not much support on guidance right now but just few tiny tweaks would turn this into a nightmare for a lot of people that aren’t expecting anything right now.

Well August is over basically. Monthly rain total 1.57”, 75/57 average, 7 80+ days, 0 85+ days.

High temp of 76 today, had a little shower pass through earlier as well today.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Well August is over basically. Monthly rain total 1.57”, 75/57 average, 7 80+ days, 0 85+ days.

High temp of 76 today, had a little shower pass through earlier as well today.

Yeah certainly a wet August. If the rain event on 8/21 had hit as per the models, it would have been the wettest since 2004. After the last two bone dry summers it’s kinda weird to see 1.57” fall in Tacoma.

I’ll calculate the average temps for PDX and HIO later.

Ha, we’ll see. It’s early..the pattern is such that it could easily wander about, miss the fetch, and plow into the outer banks/delmarva. Not much support on guidance right now but just few tiny tweaks would turn this into a nightmare for a lot of people that aren’t expecting anything right now.

exackly these sort of patterns are the most challenging to pin down which is why no one can put there guards down because these things can throw a real cerve ball.alot of times its the small factors that ultimately become the big determination of the whole track.

Yeah certainly a wet August. If the rain event on 8/21 had hit as per the models, it would have been the wettest since 2004. After the last two bone dry summers it’s kinda weird to see 1.57” fall in Tacoma.

I’ll calculate the average temps for PDX and HIO later.

Wasn't exactly a wet month for the region. Wetter than normal some areas, drier than normal others. Tacoma was one of the wetter spots. Most of the area between Eugene and Portland was dry, as well as areas north of Seattle.

MonthPNormWRCC-NW.png

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Wasn't exactly a wet month for the region. Wetter than normal some areas, drier than normal others. Tacoma was one of the wetter spots. Most of the area between Eugene and Portland was dry, as well as areas north of Seattle.

MonthPNormWRCC-NW.png

makes up for this spring when the south sound was constantly rain shadowed. Recent rain in the area has helped out the balance a bit I guess. We had 1.44” of rain in March, but 1.57” in August lol.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

MonthPNormWRCC-NW.png

Lots of purple.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

makes up for this spring when the south sound was constantly rain shadowed. Recent rain in the area has helped out the balance a bit I guess. We had 1.44” of rain in March, but 1.57” in August lol.

I imagine only a handful of years have accomplished a drier March than August. :)

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

I imagine only a handful of years have accomplished a drier March than August. :)

The Cedar Lake station near me almost had a wetter August than March as well.

And March averages 4 times as much rain as August.

Id have to go back and look but it wouldn’t surprise me if it hasn’t happened at all or only a couple times. Last few months have had interesting precip totals since March. MAR 1.44” APR 2.29” MAY 0.52” JUN 0.17” JUL 0.99” AUG 1.57”. Uncommon spread.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Uh, guys...

@MJVentrice

14m14 minutes ago

Here's the latest from our 18Z #IBM MPAS run. Despite the ECMWF(euro) offshore trend over the past 24 hours, our MPAS model stalls Hurricane Dorian off the Florida coast for a few hours and slowly brings it onshore.

[link to twitter.com (secure)]

(I copied and pasted)

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

Uh, guys...

@MJVentrice

14m14 minutes ago

Here's the latest from our 18Z #IBM MPAS run. Despite the ECMWF(euro) offshore trend over the past 24 hours, our MPAS model stalls Hurricane Dorian off the Florida coast for a few hours and slowly brings it onshore.

[link to twitter.com (secure)]

(I copied and pasted)

Florida landfall still seems quite possible to me. Steering causing the N and E turn looks pretty weak.