September 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Requiem

This looks like it will go down as one of the more interesting Septembers in quite some time.  A good number of thunderstorm days, one top tier thunderstorm, lots of rain, and ending with a potentially historic cold pattern for this time of year.  I looked at the maps for September 1983, which brought the coldest September min temps I have witnessed, and it was not even close to being as cold of a pattern at 500b as this one is going to be.

Tonight I will take a look at years like 1971, 1972, 1985, and a few other to see if any of those were even close.  1971 has been coming up as the top analog and that year featured a major Arctic outbreak in late October that brought widespread lowland snow.  According to the CPC the upcoming pattern was a match to 1971 in late September and mid October.

This September has been the most exciting and interesting I can remember. Has me interested for what the next 6 months will end up like.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Ok. Well I have seen both in different years, and I would argue that the colors that arrive on healthy, well-watered trees slowly cured by cool nights in October are generally prettier and more vibrant than the leaves of drought stressed trees who are desperately sucking in their chlorophyll and jettisoning dead organic weight. ;)

Sometimes death can be a beautiful thing.

A forum for the end of the world.

It would be pretty impressive if it did. The record of 42 was from 2008 actually not 2007, my weather records I have go back to 2005 for my house. Only thing is I live less than a mile from the Puget sound in one of the warmest spots in western WA. Some spots are going to definitely see some 30s around maybe we see upper 30s to around 40 here.

Yeah...I've had lots of 30s here in September with some frost since 2005.  This pattern is going to be so extraordinary for this time of year it's hard to know what kind of numbers we will end up with.  A rough guess would be upper 20s to low 30s for MBY and upper 30s for you.  Given the nature of what's coming we could end up even colder.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

One really interesting thing I see right off looking at the Landsburg records is all of the really early cold min temps are 1990 or before.  Pretty intriguing to see this is more of an old school thing.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Snow fell on Halloween in Olympia in 2003 if I remember correctly, could be wrong.

That night in NE Portland it was 56 degrees and when I awoke on November 1st it was snowing heavy at 36 degrees. Albeit a very wet snow. That winter turned out great. Snowed several times that winter thanks to the gorge.

• Like 1

That night in NE Portland it was 56 degrees and when I awoke on November 1st it was snowing heavy at 36 degrees. Albeit a very wet snow. That winter turned out great. Snowed several times that winter thanks to the gorge.

The little event in Oly where I lived at the time was super fun, first snowfall of my relationship with my now wife.

You're thinking of November 19, 2003. That was a fun event, though. Nice anafront setup.

• Like 2

This looks like it will go down as one of the more interesting Septembers in quite some time.  A good number of thunderstorm days, one top tier thunderstorm, lots of rain, and ending with a potentially historic cold pattern for this time of year.  I looked at the maps for September 1983, which brought the coldest September min temps I have witnessed, and it was not even close to being as cold of a pattern at 500b as this one is going to be.

Tonight I will take a look at years like 1971, 1972, 1985, and a few other to see if any of those were even close.  1971 has been coming up as the top analog and that year featured a major Arctic outbreak in late October that brought widespread lowland snow.  According to the CPC the upcoming pattern was a match to 1971 in late September and mid October.

1985 was somewhat close, but the late September airmass was centered further east and we wound up getting backdoored. The northern Rockies had a historic September snowstorm.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1985/us0927.php

That produced the last September reading in the 30s to date at PDX, 39 on 9/30.

Then we got slammed more directly about 10 days later with a very impressive airmass, the first of many that fall

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1985/us1008.php

• Like 1

68/33 today. Couple of crickets as well to end the evening. 

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

1985 was somewhat close, but the late September airmass was centered further east and we wound up getting backdoored. The northern Rockies had a historic September snowstorm.

//

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1985/us0927.php

That produced the last September reading in the 30s to date at PDX, 39 on 9/30.

Then we got slammed more directly about 10 days later with a very impressive airmass, the first of many that fall

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1985/us1008.php

I clearly remember it dumping snow in the middle of the afternoon in Burnsville, Minnesota on 9/24/85.     That was the earliest I have seen snow falling.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You're thinking of November 19, 2003. That was a fun event, though. Nice anafront setup.

It was Halloween night. I was at a party and thinking it was warm out so I didn’t think anything of it and then woke up to wet snow that wasn’t sticking. Short lived but cool. Seems like November that year featured plenty of bouts with snow. December too. I remember most forecasters missing the east wind events so the next year they kept saying it was going to snow via the gorge and it never came.

One year that snowwizard brought up is 1971, my grandparents have lots of stories about past weather events and one thing my grandpa remembers was the snow in October of 1971. He also remembers 1985 particularly well. Would be pretty interesting to see October snow happen again, it was only 2 years ago we had Measurable snow on November 3rd and 5th.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

71-72 was ok for here. One blast in late Jan with a couple inches for the cold season. Plenty of winters worse than that one.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

71-72 was ok for here. One blast in late Jan with a couple inches for the cold season. Plenty of winters worse than that one.

That was one where Seattle owned Portland.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yeah, 0.4" at MSP that day. Earliest on record there.

It covered the ground south of the airport where I was... at least for an hour or so. There was still patches of snow left when we got out of school about 3 hours later. Enough for snowballs.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I'm getting more excited about this event the more I look into it.  It appears that getting both a fantastic 500mb pattern and a Canadian surface high dropping over us is tremendously rare this early in the season.  We could threaten some all time records for cold so early in the season.  Landsburg doesn't have a low on record below 29 until October 8.  Most of the years that did get to freezing in late Sept / early Oct went on to be very good winters.  I have some research to do!

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

71-72 must have been a heavily north/south year. 2008-esque for down here.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I think I remember 11/19/2003. 11am-12pm noon, big wet snow flakes coming down and 33 degrees at my elementary school in Beaverton.

For that early in the year it was the only time I recall flakes falling in the middle of a day and not at night time, of course up until I moved east of the mountains.

• Like 2

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

71-72 looks pretty great in the mountains. Looks like Timberline Lodge had a 100" base by December 15.

Wow. Most winters the powder barely starts building up by first week of December. That's crazy.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

I'm getting more excited about this event the more I look into it.  It appears that getting both a fantastic 500mb pattern and a Canadian surface high dropping over us is tremendously rare this early in the season.  We could threaten some all time records for cold so early in the season.  Landsburg doesn't have a low on record below 29 until October 8.  Most of the years that did get to freezing in late Sept / early Oct went on to be very good winters.  I have some research to do!

We're still talking 5-7 days out until the really cold stuff, though. There have also been lots of model shifts the last 24 hours. So nothing is set in stone yet.

But I will agree that some of the runs today have been pretty. Would love to see them verify!

It was Halloween night. I was at a party and thinking it was warm out so I didn’t think anything of it and then woke up to wet snow that wasn’t sticking. Short lived but cool. Seems like November that year featured plenty of bouts with snow. December too. I remember most forecasters missing the east wind events so the next year they kept saying it was going to snow via the gorge and it never came.

It did not snow in Portland on Halloween night 2003. That night was clear and cold with a low well down in the 20s the next morning.

I remember being at a homecoming game for my high school out at Kiggins Bowl. It was a clear and frosty night.

You're thinking of the event a few weeks later.

• Like 1

It did not snow in Portland on Halloween night 2003. That night was clear and cold with a low well down in the 20s the next morning.

I remember being at a homecoming game for my high school out at Kiggins Bowl. It was a clear and frosty night.

Funny how fraught with inaccuracies people's memories often are. 

• Like 2

Yeah I actually went Trick or Treating with a few friends on Halloween 2003, I would have remembered snow covered candy.  :P

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

I always default to the thought that we had three inches of snow on 12-1-07 for some reason. Old age...

He made a forecast that made no sense

For the warm September did not commence

Now he's hoping to even the score

While with every trough, he'll cry some more

The frost will come, the leaves will turn

And much to his despair, the fires won't burn

• Like 3