September 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Requiem

Winters here are actually so mild, especially for being at 45.5ºN latitude. Just a single jacket (not even a heavy one) is enough to be adequately dressed for the weather most days. Can't say that about skiing in a dry 25ºF.

Weren’t you whining non-stop pretty much all of February about how cold it was? That was with highs mostly in the 40s

Dark clouds now. Wind out of the N

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Mission Ridge continues to be a big winner for snow in WA.  Looks like over a foot.  Note the icicles hanging off the building to the right.  Truly remarkable event!

post-222-0-69142900-1569806390_thumb.jpg

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Weren’t you whining non-stop pretty much all of February about how cold it was? That was with highs mostly in the 40s

I think Omegaraptor’s weather creed seems to be extreme seasonal weather. Crazy snow in winter, warmth in summer, rain in fall. Have to remember that he’s younger than I am, so even a year is quite a lot of time. No doubt after last year’s snub he wants something meaningful out of this winter— hence his...longing tone.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Looks like a nice band moving down the valley. If only this were Dec...

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

That was in a “if this winter isn’t going to perform just bring on spring” tone. Wouldn’t have complained at all if we actually got snow. I have very fond memories of February 2014.

And there was one great silver lining: the skiing was excellent that month and in March.

I think people tend to exaggerate about how mild it is. A normal low temp in the winter is around freezing where I live. As for max temps our average is about the same as Denver and many other cities that are considered cold.

“Mild” doesn’t mean “warm”, per se. It’s often used to describe climates with fewer cold temperature extremes. For instance, the average January low in Nashville, TN bottoms out at 31*F, which certainly isn’t warm, but their winters can also be described as “mild” relative to the majority of the North American Continent.

• Like 1

Clearing out here in Tacoma. Nice sunset, could see some snow on the higher peaks of the cascades.

Really crazy all of these records being broken across the NW US. We will see how cold it gets here near the Puget Sound.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

NWS tweeted that downtown Portland only reached 49 today. Previous earliest sub-50 max was October 12, 1881. Crazy.

That’s d**n impressive.

• Like 1

Sun is running a stretch of 26 consecutive spotless days.

Longest streak so far this minimum is 33 consecutive days. Not much disturbance on the solar surface either (at the moment), so maybe we can set a new record.

The sun is just dead right now.  The x-ray flux is actually lower now than it was at the beginning of this streak.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Doesn’t much matter when the flow is offshore anyways.

Someone should publish a rule book on blob dynamics.

This s**t gets exponentially more complicated each time a previous blob-rule is violated.

• Like 1

Once it goes below freezing it's all the same as far as water is concerned.  I hate getting into pissing contests about my winter is colder than your winter.  I think this one will be special for this area and could care less if somebody else drops to -25.

No trying to coax a car to start on a subzero (Fahrenheit) morning. Being able to defrost a windshield by using the washer with that blue defrost stuff (won't work in the Rockies on a cold morning, it freezes solid on the glass). Not having to put on gloves BEFORE opening the door to go outside (because the knob ON THE INSIDE is cold enough to make your skin stick to it). Etc. It doesn't really get cold here, sorry.

And I'm just as glad. I wanted to leave the real cold behind. It's why I moved to the PNW.

It's called clown range for a reason.

Someone should publish a rule book on blob dynamics.

This s**t gets exponentially more complicated each time a previous blob-rule is violated.

I try not to get too wrapped up in it. Just seems likely that, when the flow in onshore and the ocean is several degrees warmer than average, the result for someone living next to that ocean should be warmer anomalies.

No trying to coax a car to start on a subzero (Fahrenheit) morning. Being able to defrost a windshield by using the washer with that blue defrost stuff (won't work in the Rockies on a cold morning, it freezes solid on the glass). Not having to put on gloves BEFORE opening the door to go outside (because the knob ON THE INSIDE is cold enough to make your skin stick to it). Etc. It doesn't really get cold here, sorry.

And I'm just as glad. I wanted to leave the real cold behind. It's why I moved to the PNW.

It gets extremely cold in the PNW just not in western Wa. A car that is not a turd starts in minus 40 no problem and they make better washer fluid than blue minus 20.
  • Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Fair enough.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It gets extremely cold in the PNW just not in western Wa. A car that is not a turd starts in minus 40 no problem and they make better washer fluid than blue minus 20.

If you go back a bit further it has gotten really cold here too.  We have had a number of months I think anyone would consider cold.  We just might see one of those soon.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Will be interesting to see how long this patterns recurs. Also brings back memories of 2002, which was great from March until early November, and then....

Yeah Hopefully we can avoid that but you never know. Looks good at the moment but it can always change just like this last winter, went from nothing to historic in 2 weeks.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Fair enough on the east side getting real cold. As far as starting a car goes, I was a college student and had a crappy old one. But it's a double whammy: oil gets more viscous, making the engine harder to crank and the output of the battery drops, starving the starter motor of power. Cars don't "start in minus 40 no problem;" it's why people install block heaters (which is what I eventually did, though the trick of removing the battery and storing it in my heated dorm room also worked surprisingly well).

It's called clown range for a reason.

Good point. I was thinking of the same stretch.

I think that fall was much drier.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I think people tend to exaggerate about how mild it is. A normal low temp in the winter is around freezing where I live. As for max temps our average is about the same as Denver and many other cities that are considered cold.

Of course, low temps average in the teens here.

A forum for the end of the world.

We got a *small* taste of that in Feb 2015 (minus single digits w/ 65mph gusts) and I concur, the reality of it wasn’t anything even remotely close to how I pictured it in my head.

It just freezer-burned my skin and made it impossible to heat the house without using the wood burning stove. Was laughing at my stupid a** for being so pumped up about it beforehand (real cold is extremely rare here).

Congrats! Ours is due on October 13th. Ironically, my fiancee found out she's pregnant on February 4th. It stayed cold for 5 weeks afterward. :lol:

Congrats brother!

So..pattern change on 10/13?